U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 AM

545 posts, read 910,091 times

Advertisements

Headed out there after everything at Alamo Drafthouse Park North was sold out yesterday. The Rialto was a virtual ghost town - 4 other people in the theater!

Parking lot is sketchy, but the food's better than Drafthouse. I think the arcade has 6 Ms PacMan machines in it.

The waiters aren't as polished, they'll come right on out and interrupt key moments of the movie, which leads me into my next observation:

Be warned they roll the gratuity into the check before they hand it to you. When it's dark, stuff is getting blown up on screen, and the waitress is urging you to sign it right away you don't realize you just got hustled for a double tip until you're in the parking lot.

I'll go back but I won't park anything nice out there and the waitstaff can just chill the heck out until the house lights come on next time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 AM

937 posts, read 2,161,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Be warned they roll the gratuity into the check before they hand it to you.
and they are allowed to do this? really? never heard of such a thing.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM

545 posts, read 910,091 times
Never heard of such a thing?

You see it a lot in restaurants that think they're fancier than they really are. The Rialto has it in fine print at the bottom of their menus. Oh well, now we know.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,562,339 times
I don't know how Drafthouse does it, but at Rialto they always bring the ticket shortly after you get your food. They do have flashlights for you to read the bill, just ask. I like the food I've had there, usually get the grilled dog with onions and toasted bun, a step up from a reg movie dog. They seemed to have scaled back the menu and and raised prices over the years, though. Also, the last few visits, they did not have menus in the theatre, perhaps the kitchen has certain hours now. Parking lot seems fine to me, except for too many speed bumps and a few potholes.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,869,808 times
I have never had a problem and I visit the theater every couple months. I do enjoy the food more than the drafthouse but it dosent appear as clean as the drafthouse.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Never heard of such a thing?

You see it a lot in restaurants that think they're fancier than they really are. The Rialto has it in fine print at the bottom of their menus. Oh well, now we know.

what a joke! i tip purely on the service i receive. I'm english so were not ones to tip just cause you served my drink or plate so I would be fuming if they tried to pull a sly tip like that! you ain't gonna get that in England that's for damn sure.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 PM

I'll rephrase what I just said, maybe we do get that in UK but it is not common

Old 01-03-2012, 05:51 PM

1,355 posts, read 889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
you ain't gonna get that in England that's for damn sure.
Tipping is a culturally accepted norm here in the United States. When in Rome, etc.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:54 PM

5,631 posts, read 6,442,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
what a joke! i tip purely on the service i receive. I'm english so were not ones to tip just cause you served my drink or plate so I would be fuming if they tried to pull a sly tip like that! you ain't gonna get that in England that's for damn sure.
I learned that tips aren't accepted in Japan either while I was there.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:02 PM

1,355 posts, read 889,980 times
The minimum wage for tipped employees in Texas is $2.13 per hour. I doubt the same can be said for the UK and Japan.

An employer can either encourage excellent service by the use of tips or he can pay his servers a higher wage -- either way it will come out of the customer's pocket. Personally, I prefer having a little "control" over the quality of my service by tipping accordingly, especially if I'm a repeat customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio