Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:06 PM

74 posts, read 175,904 times

Advertisements

We usually go through Fort Stockton then through Carlsbad, Roswel, and Alberque and then down to Flagstaff. It's a much better route with secenery. We lived only an hour out of Vegas and I miss it. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,430,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
I'd definitely go through Flagstaff. The northern part of AZ is beautiful. I loved it when we went through there.
Yes Flagstaff is nice this time of year, its a must stop.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,557 times
Big rigs rule the left lane from Las Crueces to Phoenix. Just get behind one of them and roll. It's nothing seeing them running 80-90 mph in the desert

Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM

124 posts, read 245,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I've got to drive to San Diego later this year for work, so please report any 'lessons learned' from your trip...

Cheers! M2
I've driven this route numerous times and always enjoy it, especially when I'm driving alone. The best way for me has always been to stop in El Paso for the night (usually stay at the Holiday Inn-Airport on West Gateway), then continue on to San Diego. The worst part of the drive is between San Antonio and El Paso, IMO. If you don't like listening to static for 600 miles, make sure to take your own music, be it mp3 player, CD's, cassettes or 8-track tapes! *lol* Enjoy the drive!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,402 times
^^ Or satellite radio. Drove to Phoenix this past week and my GOD! Sirius saved my life along with my iPhone. Pandora all the way until my cell reception would die out then sat radio all the way. Funny this is I didn't have when I drove there but it was such a long drive and I need my music that I bought it while there and had on the way back. Best buy I ever made. LOL

But it seemed to take me forever to get out of Texas, naturally. We left around 0500 since I know most of the scenary from here to Junction. Drove to Las Cruces since we have friends there, got in around 6 when all was said and done. Stayed the night, left around 0700 for Phoenix, got in around 7 pm that night. (We like to stop at random places, take photos and whatnot) But like someone said above, stay behind the big rigs and go with 'em. I was cruising around 80/85 and I'm sure faster in some spots in between rigs and

Old 01-12-2012, 03:10 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times
Good morning from Gallup, New Mexico. Drove 970 miles in 1 day & currently resting. It's 18 degrees Fahrenheit outside. Been a while since I felt that.

I have to say, on I-10 in far West Texas before you reach El Paso County, the winds in the mountains can be VERY hardcore. They definitely surprised me. Take EXTREME caution when passing semis & be extra careful if driving a high-profile vehicle. I can't tell if its the season or if it's just the way it always is around here, but that's the way it is. At least being able to drive 85 mph in the 80 mph zone is amazing, though. Autobahn speeds without the road quality of the autobahn might make some nervous, though.

I gassed up at Ft. Stockton for $3.25, El Paso CostCo for $2.99 & Gallup, New Mexico for $2.87. Just to give you an idea on current pricing. Use gasbuddy.com for your route.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM

65 posts, read 136,129 times
We made it back yesterday afternoon. On the way there we took I-10 to Tucson the first day and there were plenty of places to stop. We have 3 young children and couldn't get the restroom schedule coordinated, so I was glad we didn't have to wait too long to stop. I was imagining 100 miles between cities, but it was more like 40-50. We then went to the Grand Canyon and then to Las Vegas. The drive back took us 19 hours of drive time, spaced over two days. We stayed in El Paso the first night after 11.5 hrs of driving and drove in the rest of the way the next day. I thought the scenery was beautiful the whole way. I have a degree in geology so barrenness doesn't bother me.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM

169 posts, read 428,645 times
not the easiest route, but consider I-40 east til you hit US-84 in eastern NM, take it through Lubbock to I-20. Then South on TX 70 from Sweetwater, couple of backroads til you get to US 83 in Ballinger. Keep taking that til I-10 in Juction and take into SA. about the same mileage and takes you through much more scenic roads with much less traffic.

edit: just read you already made the trip, and I routed you in reverse. Either way, maybe my directions can help someone! Or if anyone needs the fastest route to/from Lubbock...

Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,025,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
not the easiest route, but consider I-40 east til you hit US-84 in eastern NM, take it through Lubbock to I-20. Then South on TX 70 from Sweetwater, couple of backroads til you get to US 83 in Ballinger. Keep taking that til I-10 in Juction and take into SA. about the same mileage and takes you through much more scenic roads with much less traffic.

edit: just read you already made the trip, and I routed you in reverse. Either way, maybe my directions can help someone! Or if anyone needs the fastest route to/from Lubbock...
The problem with this route is that it is more likely to bring one into contact with revenue generators. Much easier to just plunk the car into cruise control on the Interstate & have little to worry about as I did. That was a GREAT drive!

OP, glad you had fun and then made it home safe! It's always good to have a great road trip!

Old 01-25-2012, 11:47 AM

65 posts, read 136,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
The problem with this route is that it is more likely to bring one into contact with revenue generators. Much easier to just plunk the car into cruise control on the Interstate & have little to worry about as I did. That was a GREAT drive!

OP, glad you had fun and then made it home safe! It's always good to have a great road trip!
Yep, it was a good drive.

I saw 5 revenue generators in southern Arizona (none north of Phoenix), 1 in New Mexico, and 8 in Texas.

In New Mexico, parts of the interstate are designated as "Safety Corridors" and speeding fines are doubled in them. Is there a real purpose to them or are they there to generate revenue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio