U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:58 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,433,679 times

Advertisements

I was just at the new Shops at Stone Oak (Target, DSW, etc) today. I see that Stone Oak Parkway extends further NW beyond the shopping center.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the road where Roan Forest ES is (Roan Park) will be cut open to allow traffic to flow through to Evans Rd., and the neighborhoods in that area? Roan Park simply ends, and there is about 10 yeards to connect to S.O. Parkway...

EDIT: It's the VILLAGE at STone Oak, sorry..

Last edited by pobre; 09-01-2007 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: fix name of SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 06:37 PM

734 posts, read 2,737,436 times
They just told us at a Reagan and future Johnson students meeting that they will not be doing this. Mostly it's for the safety of the school and students to not increase traffic across Roan Park. The only two entrances to the new Johnson HS will be from Bulverde and another for Stone Oak Parkway. They won't be able to go from Roan Park to the HS.

The real bad thing is that students who live near Roan Forest and Evans Ranch etc. won't have a walkway to Johnson HS, instead will have to walk along Bulverde but the principal is looking into it (as far as adding a sidewalk, walkway etc or just having those students bussed.)

Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 AM

3,219 posts, read 8,002,534 times
What about traffic concerns in the area. Bulverde and Evans will become one great parking lot. I know they are fininshing the Mansion townhouses in the area.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
They just told us at a Reagan and future Johnson students meeting that they will not be doing this. Mostly it's for the safety of the school and students to not increase traffic across Roan Park. The only two entrances to the new Johnson HS will be from Bulverde and another for Stone Oak Parkway. They won't be able to go from Roan Park to the HS.

The real bad thing is that students who live near Roan Forest and Evans Ranch etc. won't have a walkway to Johnson HS, instead will have to walk along Bulverde but the principal is looking into it (as far as adding a sidewalk, walkway etc or just having those students bussed.)

Wow. While I understand the underlying theory, I question creating such traffic jams on Evans and Stone Oak AND 281...

Roan PArk was laid out as if it were going to connect. I wonder if that was NEISD or a developer?

Old 09-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Wow. While I understand the underlying theory, I question creating such traffic jams on Evans and Stone Oak AND 281...

Roan PArk was laid out as if it were going to connect. I wonder if that was NEISD or a developer?

But if you look at the road, the road goes actually into the school, where they need to go for drop off. If the main road went to the East of the school, that might make sense though. I dunno, I'd have to look at it again. I guess lots of schools have a main road that drives right by the school. (Wetmore, Bulverde Creek, Encino Park etc.)

The people with HS students in the Roan Forest area aren't too happy about having to drive all the way around. The other thing is that the city has agreed to step up the expansion of Bulverde Rd. to Evans, but it will stay the same North of Evans, where it is needed most to be fixed! There aren't even any sidewalks right now.

Oh - and Johnson HS is 2 months behind in construction due to weather. And according to the website, it's also way over budget. Nearly $18 Million.
North East 2003 Bond Status Report (http://www.neisd.net/constr/bondstatusreport.html - broken link)

Old 09-02-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
But if you look at the road, the road goes actually into the school, where they need to go for drop off. If the main road went to the East of the school, that might make sense though. I dunno, I'd have to look at it again. I guess lots of schools have a main road that drives right by the school. (Wetmore, Bulverde Creek, Encino Park etc.)

The road does dead end just beyond the school. There are two entrances, one for the front (main entry, drop off/pick up) and one for the rear (faculty, buses). Yes, many schools have roads that are much busier (Stone Oak, Hardy Oak, Wetmore, Canyon Ridge, etc.) So, the school is set back from the road, buffered by a driveway and parking lot.

MY thought is, for SAFETY reasons, 'tis better to have TWO entrance/egress points.

Well, I guess I will see what happens.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:39 AM

Where is Wetmore near the new school

Old 09-03-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Where is Wetmore near the new school
That one is down on Thousand Oaks, but it is set back a lot further that Roan Forest is. Even Bulverde Creek is set back further away from the road than Roan Forest is. Roan Park does a dead end circle up to the drive that goes into the school. Then from there there is an entrance to the front and the entrance to the back. It just seems to close to the road if it were to become a major thoroughfare.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:14 PM

Is Evans rd zone for commercial near Fox Grove?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:06 PM

9 posts, read 47,294 times
I would definitely have concerns about Roan Park becoming a thoroughfare if it was connected to Stone Oak Parkway. I can see, however, how that would benefit people who live in the "northern part" of the Roan Forest boundary. By the way, Bulverde Road is going to be expanded from Evans to Marshall Road. It is part of the bond package that passed. For some reason, it was a separate line item from the project to expand Bulverde from 1604 to Evans. I think it had something to do with NEISD and the Cibolo Canyons developer paying for part of the Bulverde Rd expansion north of Evans, whereas the city is paying for the entire expansion from 1604 to Evans. BTW, does anyone know the timeline for the Bulverde Rd expansion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or