U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,185,071 times
The closest bus stops are in Stone Oak and Thousand Oaks. You will NOT be able to live without a car there. If you want to do without a car, you will need to find a home near a grocery store, and schools, and find some other way to get to Pearson. I don't know your price range for housing, but you can find very good, and well priced housing close to Pearson in neighborhoods such as Encino Park (78259), and Bulverde Village(78261). The prices for houses up and down area Bulverde Rd are 130K and up, up, up...

As someone else mentioned, this area is the NEISD, and any school (elementary, middle, high school) in that area will be very good.

You will also find a budding Indian Asian population here...many of the schools in that area are nearing 8-10% Asian, with the majority being Indian.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 05:47 PM

678 posts, read 1,942,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakkumar5157 View Post
Thanks for your replies...

I believe VIA transport facility is available in SA.Whether those buses go near my office address given above ?

Encino Canyon apt seems to be near my office (4miles) and Roan Forest Elementary school is also nearby to that apt....Any suggestions? Whether it is OK to stay there...
Also, don't forget you can type in addresses in Google Earth to see the area and the apartment building that you choose. Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 AM

1,925 posts, read 1,150,958 times
Buy a car. This is texas. You cannot survive without car. Even to buy bread or milk, you need car. Even if you want to walk, you will find that there is no footpath to walk. If you dont have driving license, i believe you should bring international driving license from India and use it in initial days. buy some old cheap car on the basis of that license.
Quote:
Hi,

Iam moving to SA along with my wife and 6 yr old son from India.Though I was in NJ previously, I don't have any idea about SA.

Can you pls confirm the following :

(1) My work location is 19500 Bulverde Road San Antonio, Texas 78259.Can anyone pls suggest apartment nearby to that location and also to some public school.

(2) I will not be having car in near future. I can use public transport to go to office, if required.

(3) also pls confirm whether we can manage without car there in long run, using public transport? (my main concern is to locate house closer to these two places)

Pls provide the links for the same,so that I can get an idea to look for an apt (close to my office and public school), when I come there.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jayakkumar

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,042,219 times
That's about on the edge of nowhere. I concur with munna. We don't have good stuff like trains in this city. The leaders are too retarded to run anything resembling a mass transit system because they are all driven around by people of lesser stature. I wish you the best in your employment endeavor.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:22 AM

16 posts, read 26,871 times
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your wishes and informations !!!

I have a list of apts nearby my work location (19500 Bulverde Road, San Antonio, TX) and contacted...But in some apts ( like 'The Mansions at TPC'),I was informed that since I will be staying with my 6 yr old kid, I can take only 2-bedroom apt, which is around 1200$ per month......Can anyone confirm is it a must to live only in 2 bedroom apt iun TX, if we have one kid???

Still yet to get any apt in nearby area (around 3-4 miles)....I need to settly down there before I buy a car.....That'swhy I have been looking some apt nearby that area, so that I can use a bike to go to offie (if it is possible)....

I badly need an apt in that area, as I am leaving India by first week of Feb...If any reader of this forum, knows about any vacant apt in that area, can you pls send the details??.In those area, rent for a single bedroom apt is around 800$, which is OK for me ? (Am I comparing this with NJ,where I lived earlier and feel like this is cheaper????)..Is it costly in TX standard of living???

Thanks in advance

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 AM

4,663 posts, read 3,583,446 times
There are plenty of one bedroom apartments that are nice for around $800, but they may or may not be by your job. That area is kind of expensive compared to the rest of San Antonio. I don't know if there's a law, but apartment complexes could have policies on how many people can live within a certain square footage. I don't see how you can possibly survive in that area without a car. You might be able to bike to work, but how are you going to get to the grocery store?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,185,071 times
Quote:
Hi,

I have a list of apts nearby my work location (19500 Bulverde Road, San Antonio, TX) and contacted...But in some apts ( like 'The Mansions at TPC'),I was informed that since I will be staying with my 6 yr old kid, I can take only 2-bedroom apt, which is around 1200$ per month......Can anyone confirm is it a must to live only in 2 bedroom apt iun TX, if we have one kid???

Thanks in advance
The standard for apartments in TX (and probably everywhere else ) is 2 people per bedroom. So, for a 3 person family, you would need a 2 bedroom.

In regards to the cost, you are in a "nicer" area of town, and the rents are higher. However, you might want to look into renting a house. There are many rentals available in the area, and for $1200, you could probably get a house (3 bed) in that immediate area.

You could probably use some help...if you are looking for an apartment, try an apartment locator...for a house, try a real estate agent.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM

484 posts, read 451,951 times
Quote:
Hi,

Still yet to get any apt in nearby area (around 3-4 miles)....I need to settly down there before I buy a car.....That'swhy I have been looking some apt nearby that area, so that I can use a bike to go to offie (if it is possible)....

I badly need an apt in that area, as I am leaving India by first week of Feb...If any reader of this forum, knows about any vacant apt in that area, can you pls send the details??.In those area, rent for a single bedroom apt is around 800$, which is OK for me ? (Am I comparing this with NJ,where I lived earlier and feel like this is cheaper????)..Is it costly in TX standard of living???

Thanks in advance
Jay, don't mean to be rude, but I think you need to accept reality and adapt your plans a little bit. It is almost impossible to live in this city without a car, particularly if you'll be in the outer suburbs. This is definitely not a high-density, good public transportation type of city. In many places there are not even sidewalks or bike lanes, so it may be very dangerous.

The good thing is that if you plan to rent or buy a cheap car, that will open up many more options for housing. The area east of 281 between the airport and 1604 has a lot of nice neighborhoods where you may be able to find a cheaper rental (house or appartment) and commute would be easy. Don't know much about schools in the area, but have some friends around there and like it a lot.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 AM

5,347 posts, read 5,217,864 times
You do have to have a two-bedroom apartment here if you have three people, I think it's part of the city housing code. You might be able to rent a one-bedroom with a study. Personally, I'd go with an older complex and just get a two-bedroom that was less expensive.

I had a two-bedroom apartment at Bitters and 281 and the rent was $720. It was an older complex that wasn't in the best of shape, but the elementary school next door to it was excellent, and it was easy walking distance to the library and to Target (a big store here, not a grocery store but you can get some groceries there). There's also a pediatrician's office within walking distance, so your wife would be able to take your son to the doctor if he ever neeed to go. There are several apartment complexes right around that area, Countryside, Desert Shadows, Arbor Hills, and a newer one that was a little bit pricier...google Heimer Rd 78232 to see that area. I think it would be about 8 miles from your work. You could take a cab to work. You should also look at the complexes on Henderson Pass. They're around the same price range and there's at least one that includes a washer and dryer with the apartment (your wife would thank you for making her life easier).

I don't think riding a bike to the address you posted is going to be safe. Most people here are not that careful of people on a bike, there's no sidewalks out there to ride on, people who ride their bikes on the access roads here get hit by cars and killed sometimes. Also it gets very hot here in the summers and you'll get to work smelling like sweaty butt. And it doesn't work to ride a bike in the rain, they don't put fenders on them anymore and you end up with a trail of dirt all the way up your back from the tire kicking up the puddles on the road. Believe me, I love riding bikes but there are some parts of town where you just can't do it.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 AM

16 posts, read 26,871 times
Thanks Hedgehog_Mom and Amexicano for your valuable suggestions...

My problem is definitely it is going to take a couple of months or so to buy a car.I need to see which is the best possible option to survive till then !!

As of now Iam zeroing down to an apt in Costa Dell Sol, 16100, Hendersen Pass (They provide washer & dryer in the apt itself) and the lease is for 7 months...A good elementary school (thousand oak elementary. sch) is also in very nearby (walkable distance - 3 mins)...Also one of my friend who stays in SA says, we have many groceries/doctors nearby that apt ...The dist. between that apt and office is 5 miles and I need to manage it for a couple of months till I get a car...So with the limited time / options I have (leaving India on 3rd Feb), I think this is the best option...Once I get a car, I can look for some other, If I don't like this apt after 7 months...Any better options/suggestions?

I tried some other apt which are in 2 miles distance from my office, but the apts are not vacant...And moreover, no groceries nearby.

From this Apt, any car/van pooling available to my office? (19500 Bulverde Road)? Whether any vanpool available between this apt & my office (Vanpool Service)

I understand when people say it is difficult to survive without car in SA.But the issue is defintely I cannot buy a car as soon as I arrive there...It is going to take a couple of months for that.... ( To get license / to zero down to a car which suites our taste & budget etc.,)

Looking for more suggestions !!!!!!Your suggestions will definitely help me sort out this commute issue .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio