U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 PM

7 posts, read 22,325 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting SA next week for a possible job prospect. I would love it if any food lovers out there will give me some reviews over the "must eat" restaurants in SA. Thank you and have a great weekend!

P.S. I love all food types, so the preference doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 PM

82 posts, read 211,683 times
Not to be too terribly negative about San Antonio, but good food establishments really leave a lot to be desired around here. My wife and I will travel to Austin or Houston just so we can enjoy some of that area's cuisine. You'll find San Antonio is chain food central...

One place I would recommend is Bohannan's Downtown - great steak place and good ambience. Doesn't beat some of the steak places up north in Chicago, but it's one of the better establishments in SA...

Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 PM

8,369 posts, read 13,305,244 times
There are plenty of great restaurants in the San Antonio area, but ranking them would be the same as asking someone to rank all their old girlfriends!

There are several threads about places to eat in this town, peruse through them and you'll easily find out which ones are better than others...

But I'd advise against eating at the Tower of the Americas. It's a great place to go for drinks after dinner, but the food up there is overpriced and unimpressive!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,496,068 times
there are great restaurants here! Rosario's downtown, Boudro's, Restaurant Gwendolyn, Il Sogno, Feast, Chris Madrid's.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,496,068 times
OH...and don't forget La Gloria by the Pearl Brewery.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM

5,569 posts, read 9,613,433 times
For breakfast you dont' want to miss Magnolia's Pancake Haus near the airport.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,055,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
For breakfast you dont' want to miss Magnolia's Pancake Haus near the airport.
Second this, it it is my favorite breakfast place.

Other places I like that aren't fully national chains:

- La Fogata
- Barn Door (steak house, better and a bit more expensive than Saltgrass)
- Saltgrass (this is okay for a cheaper steak house)
- Pappadeaux
- Rudy's BBQ

There's others but that's all that pop to mind at the moment. Also I'm not saying these are the "best" places (I don't eat out that much and don't normally go far out of my way in search of eats), but these are places that are least okay that I've had here that I couldn't get in Tucson.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 AM

546 posts, read 550,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
OH...and don't forget La Gloria by the Pearl Brewery.

I keep trying to like that place but just can't do it. The menu's weird, the setup is weird, their waiter system is weird and the food's real hit or miss. Prices and portions all over the map, too. (And it has to be said - the demographics of the customers make me think that the food's either not authentic or too expensive)

Anyway, if you're coming to San Antonio you need to go full tilt TexMex. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Marvel at all the combinations of lettuce, tomato, meat, and cheese. Just stay away from Mi Tierra and you'll do fine.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM

4,018 posts, read 4,525,620 times
Mi Tierra's a "must go" for most. Not my favorite, but certainly a SA institution.

Another hidden gem is Schilo’s Delicatessen - NOT to be missed IMO!!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:28 AM

3,735 posts, read 5,421,374 times
At the Pearl:
Il Sogno
Sandbar
CIA bakery and cafe

Southtown:
The Monterey - food is served like tapas (small portions), excellent food, excellent atmosphere)
Azuca
La Frite Belgian Bistro
Friendly Spot (more for drink than food, but their tamales and street tacos are good)
MadHatter's - tea, brunch
Taco Haven - tex mex tacos (everything else is so so, but tacos are best)
there are more,but these are my favourites

Downtown -
LUke
Biga on the Banks
Acenar

The Riverwalk has a few decent options, but mostly it has chain restaurants, unfortunately. So
you may need to venture off the riverwalk for some more interesting food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio