Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
wish people would do more research on people before brown nosing them. quick google search reveals A LOT of unhappy people that did business with this guy
After my quick Google search of "Gordan Hartman" in the first three pages their was only one negative link to click on. So I then typed "Gordan Hartman bad" and only one negative link on the first page. So I don't think "quick Google search" was the correct phrase. Maybe you meant in depth Google searches using negative phrase attached to a persons name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 AM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
wait til he defaults on morgans wonderland and cost us all 10+ million. he is a smart businessman who got the city(us) to pay for his project. he is a scam artist, and shame on him shame shame

of course this is a city who thinks henry cisneros was a god

Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 AM

501 posts, read 949,208 times
Quote:
sounds about normal for san antonio. wonder how much in extra taxes the family is going to have to pay...
Sounds about normal for San Antonio? What does that even mean?

If it's true that the EHM family lost their home because of increased taxes, they're not the only ones. It's something that has occurred multiple times with EHM.

Also, the family wasn't even from San Antonio, but Hondo. Unless they've done other shows in SA since that one, it's the only one I remember them doing in the SA area.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
Sounds about normal for San Antonio? What does that even mean?

If it's true that the EHM family lost their home because of increased taxes, they're not the only ones. It's something that has occurred multiple times with EHM.

Also, the family wasn't even from San Antonio, but Hondo. Unless they've done other shows in SA since that one, it's the only one I remember them doing in the SA area.
same things happen to people who get on the 'pimp my ride' ' overhaulin'' type show: the taxes on 50k worth of custom work often force the recipients of the gifts to sell them vs keeping them, due to the massive amounts of taxes that are owed.

sounds about normal for sa meaning that there are a ton of poor people here and taxes on all the work that EHM is doing will likely force the family to sell. ala, sounds about normal for SA...

Old 01-20-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
same things happen to people who get on the 'pimp my ride' ' overhaulin'' type show: the taxes on 50k worth of custom work often force the recipients of the gifts to sell them vs keeping them, due to the massive amounts of taxes that are owed.
Say what? What taxes are owed on an automobile that was customized on the show Pimp My Ride? You do understand the car owner doesn't pay taxes on the car like someone would a house, don't you? There's no yearly property tax on a car. There's insurance, registration, inspection and whatever you owe on the car.

It truly baffles that you just made that analogy. Somewhat frightening that you put that together in your mind and felt it was sound enough to post here.

Please provide proof of just one of those kids losing their cars because they couldn't pay their taxes on it.

Btw, a lot of the people who got their rides pimp went on to sell the car because it's value was raised or sold the parts aka the nonsensical consumer electronics that were added to them.

Also, those shows never did any actual "gut" work, just the superficial stuff that was shown.

Quote:
]sounds about normal for sa meaning that there are a ton of poor people here and taxes on all the work that EHM is doing will likely force the family to sell. ala, sounds about normal for SA...
Again, that show that person was talking about speculating on unsupported hearsay wasn't even filmed in San Antonio, but Hondo.

Why do I get you're the type whether right, wrong or incredibly wrong will use anything to take a swing at San Antonio? It's pathetic and sad, and considering the lame analogy you cooked up above, not surprising.

BTW, one I did hear about occurred in George (Atlanta area) to a fairly well off family.

Georgia ‘Extreme Makeover’ House In Foreclosure in 3.5 Years

Then doing some research, found this one in Jacksonville.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...ion-show-built

Maybe you should speak on facts and not self created hogwash.

Last edited by teenwolf80; 01-20-2012 at 03:35 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Say what? What taxes are owed on an automobile that was customized on the show Pimp My Ride? You do understand the car owner doesn't pay taxes on the car like someone would a house, don't you? There's no yearly property tax on a car. There's insurance, registration, inspection and whatever you owe on the car.
you need to search google before making statements that paint you in a bad light. from both the pimp my ride AND overhaulin' FAQ:

Disclaimer: Applicant agrees to pay all federal, state, and local taxes, including income, use or sales taxes or any other governmental charges imposed on prizes, including the value of any goods or services received and cash gifts, if any, given to me or received by me by reason of my participation in the program and I release and indemnify producer from any liability therefore. I also authorize producer to deduct or withhold any such taxes or charges that require a payment prior to delivery of said prizes, cash or gifts.

Quote:
It truly baffles that you just made that analogy. Somewhat frightening that you put that together in your mind and felt it was sound enough to post here.
small minds tend to get scared when big minds post facts they cant comprehend.

Quote:
Please provide proof of just one of those kids losing their cars because they couldn't pay their taxes on it.
i dont know about the kids, but the host of the show wasnt too bright...

MotorSpaceNW - Spokane and Inland Northwest's Best Auto Social Network

Quote:
Btw, a lot of the people who got their rides pimp went on to sell the car because it's value was raised or sold the parts aka the nonsensical consumer electronics that were added to them.
making them responsible for even more tax liability.

Quote:
Why do I get you're the type whether right, wrong or incredibly wrong will use anything to take a swing at San Antonio? It's pathetic and sad, and considering the lame analogy you cooked up above, not surprising.
why are you reading and responding to my posts then?

Quote:
Maybe you should speak on facts and not self created hogwash.
foot, meet mouth.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
you need to search google before making statements that paint you in a bad light. from both the pimp my ride AND overhaulin' FAQ:

Disclaimer: Applicant agrees to pay all federal, state, and local taxes, including income, use or sales taxes or any other governmental charges imposed on prizes, including the value of any goods or services received and cash gifts, if any, given to me or received by me by reason of my participation in the program and I release and indemnify producer from any liability therefore. I also authorize producer to deduct or withhold any such taxes or charges that require a payment prior to delivery of said prizes, cash or gifts.
I'm not a fan of the "quote" every sentence style of posting, but I'll indulge you.

First off, your quoting of the prize tax disclaimer has no barring on the customization of those cars. It's a standard disclaimer that all those type of TV shows must have. Those kids didn't win prizes. They didn't win money either.

Why don't you look up a Reddit AMA featuring people who had their cars "Pimp'd." I have.

They never mention anything that has to do with taxes or increased fees. Just that they either sold the electronics or ditched the car because it was impractical and tacky.

Quote:
small minds tend to get scared when big minds post facts they cant comprehend.
I tend to become even more scared when pseudo intellectuals roam internet forums looking to show off their supreme know-it-all sense of entitlement while speaking down to people and being extremely condescending. What even more frightening is when these pseudo intellectuals can't even grasp basic grammar skills.

Quote:
i dont know about the kids, but the host of the show wasnt too bright...

MotorSpaceNW - Spokane and Inland Northwest's Best Auto Social Network
Translation: No I can't provide any proof whatsoever to my claims but here's a story not at all supportive of my claim but maybe it'll throw you off the trail.

Quote:
making them responsible for even more tax liability.
How?

Quote:
why are you reading and responding to my posts then?
It's a internet forum. If open conversation is something you have a problem with, maybe you should stay off of it for a long while.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the "quote" every sentence style of posting, but I'll indulge you.

First off, your quoting of the prize tax disclaimer has no barring on the customization of those cars. It's a standard disclaimer that all those type of TV shows must have. Those kids didn't win prizes. They didn't win money either.
uhm, yes they did win a prize: a TON of custom work on their car or home. the tv shows have never paid taxes on prizes they give away. this includes custom work, as seen on pimp my ride, overhaulin, etc etc.

Quote:
Why don't you look up a Reddit AMA featuring people who had their cars "Pimp'd." I have.
i google'd exactly that phrase and nothing came up to support your argument. care to enlighten me?

Quote:
They never mention anything that has to do with taxes or increased fees. Just that they either sold the electronics or ditched the car because it was impractical and tacky.
i will believe the overhaulin and pimp my ride websites over reddit.

Quote:
I become even more scared when pseudo intellectuals on internet forums try to act like supreme know-it-all's while speaking down to in a condescending manner. What even more frightening is when these pseudo intellectuals can't even grasp basic grammar skills.
irony: when a forum user is terrified by a 'psuedo-intellectual'. way to respond to my post and not attack the grammer :P

Quote:
Translation: No I can't provide any proof whatsoever to my claims but here's a story not at all supportive of my claim but maybe it'll throw you off the trail.
i already provided proof from the shows own websites. the custom work that goes into EHM, pimp my ride and overhaulin is certainly taxable and must be paid by the receiver of the work, as the tv show/producer does not pay any of those taxes.

Quote:
It's a internet forum. If open conversation is something you have a problem with, maybe you should stay off of it for a long while.
Frequently Asked Questions on Gift Taxes

What is considered a gift?

Any transfer to an individual, either directly or indirectly, where full consideration (measured in money or money's worth) is not received in return.

allow me to translate that for you:

when someone receives something for nothing, a tax is required. this is especially true when it comes to thousands upon thousands of dollars in custom house/car work. for giggles, i contacted the IRS, specifically asked them about shows like this and if taxes were owed. their response? 'most certainly'.

so, again, i will take the word of the IRS and the show producers over reddit.

good luck with your GED in law!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
uhm, yes they did win a prize: a TON of custom work on their car or home. the tv shows have never paid taxes on prizes they give away. this includes custom work, as seen on pimp my ride, overhaulin, etc etc.
They don't win anything. How hard is that for you to comprehend? There's no contest or competition. The production company finds people and then does everything for them.

I honestly can't believe I'm arguing this with you.

Quote:
i google'd exactly that phrase and nothing came up to support your argument. care to enlighten me?
O'rly? Hmm... Let me google that for you

Second link.

Btw, no mention "taxes" and the car that got pimped, he bought for $500, he then sold for $18,000 after.

Quote:
i will believe the overhaulin and pimp my ride websites over reddit.
That's great. You're still incredibly wrong.

Quote:
irony: when a forum user is terrified by a 'psuedo-intellectual'. way to respond to my post and not attack the grammer :P
Considering I've using my phone, I'm ok with the fact I left out a hyphen. What are your excuses?

Quote:
i already provided proof from the shows own websites. the custom work that goes into EHM, pimp my ride and overhaulin is certainly taxable and must be paid by the receiver of the work, as the tv show/producer does not pay any of those taxes.
The receiver of said goods DOES NOT pay any taxes on whatever was given to them. Who signs up for a show where the premise is "We give you all this stuff for free... but you get screwed with huge taxes at the end." Those shows wouldn't last half a season.

It's one thing to be ignorant, it's another to be defiant in said ignorance.

Moving on...

EHM has issues with people losing their homes because property taxes shoot up after the house is built. These homes they build are usually twice the size of the house they replaced and have a lot of luxury amenities added on.

When the appraised value of the house shoots up, so do the taxes. That's where people have trouble.

Quote:
good luck with your GED in law!
Apparently quoting wikipedia and website disclaimers makes you an expect.

Geez, I don't know what's worse, you being completely wrong in everything you've said and claimed in this thread, yet still believing you're right or your pathetic attempts at insults.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
They don't win anything
the IRS disagrees with you.

have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio