U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
 
1,285 posts, read 621,912 times
Reputation: 1228
Well, it isn't cookie cutter is it? Fair Oaks has many homes for sale in the $300 range on 1-2 acres that are one off custom homes. I just looked at about 15-20 in a cursory glance. What's with getting all bent out of shape? I am simply disagreeing with your assertion that the far NW towards Boerne is all cookie cutter. There are plenty of good areas in the NW area. Sure, some of the ones closer to 1604 are, but there are plenty in the 200-300 range that are not. I saw some of this angst when we were looking for a place to buy. Typically there are two schools of thought in SA. Older residential enclave neighborhoods (Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills) and their associated fan base, and outside the city, newer areas (towards Boerne/Fair Oaks/Stone Oak area) and their associate fan base. I prefer living outside the city and don't mind the drive, so that is just personal preference. It is a choice anyone has to make, but it is worth it IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2012, 01:12 PM
 
413 posts, read 362,908 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Well, it isn't cookie cutter is it? Fair Oaks has many homes for sale in the $300 range on 1-2 acres that are one off custom homes. I just looked at about 15-20 in a cursory glance. What's with getting all bent out of shape? I am simply disagreeing with your assertion that the far NW towards Boerne is all cookie cutter. There are plenty of good areas in the NW area. Sure, some of the ones closer to 1604 are, but there are plenty in the 200-300 range that are not. I saw some of this angst when we were looking for a place to buy. Typically there are two schools of thought in SA. Older residential enclave neighborhoods (Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills) and their associated fan base, and outside the city, newer areas (towards Boerne/Fair Oaks/Stone Oak area) and their associate fan base. I prefer living outside the city and don't mind the drive, so that is just personal preference. It is a choice anyone has to make, but it is worth it IMO.
You're being completely misleading.

There are 3 houses for sale in Fair Oaks Ranch under $350k on 1+ acres.

1. Tear down condition, looks like a barn.
2. Built in the 70's, for sale for almost a year. Not new construction.
3. Nice house, built in the 80's. Not new construction.

Anyway, I'm neither of the two types you describe. I don't care if you live in the city or the country, an apartment, a custom home, or a cave. I just care that what you're representing is honest, especially to somebody looking to move here. There are no custom homes in Fair Oaks Ranch on 1-2 acres for around $300k. Period. I would say the same thing if somebody was saying that they should move to Southtown and buy an old mansion in great condition for $300k. It just doesn't exist. $300k gets you a quarter acre cookie cutter which I hope you'll enjoy because you'll never find a buyer for it.

Last edited by ItsTheTruth; 01-26-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
 
2,766 posts, read 2,216,651 times
Reputation: 2002
If you are restricted to the builder's floodplain choices, then it is cookie cutter. No matter how many choices of a floor plan they offer.

Truly custom is being able to design your own floor plan and most of those homes are in non HOA neighborhoods. The neighborhoods you mentioned are HOA controlled so you can't just have your home as you wish.

Not bent out of shape, just trying to set the record straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM
 
1,285 posts, read 621,912 times
Reputation: 1228
Okay, so using the logic of MattTx and ItsTheTruth applied to their definition of what is and what is not cookie cutter, there are about 10-15 total non-cookie cutter homes in the entire San Antonio metropolitan area.

BLUF: If you want newer construction, on a larger lot, in a good area with access to shopping and entertainment, with a great school district, outside the city, NW on I-10 is a good area. You will pay more than you do in the city, but it is a trade off for the benefits mentioned.

Stone Oak has nice areas, but I am unfamiliar with the schools. A little too crowded for my taste. Traffic congestion should improve following the completion of the 1604/281 interchange.

My coworkers that live NE outside 1604 are happy with their neighborhoods. The I-35 inbound commute in the morning is a beast. Most avoid it and take surface streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 PM
 
2,766 posts, read 2,216,651 times
Reputation: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Okay, so using the logic of MattTx and ItsTheTruth applied to their definition of what is and what is not cookie cutter, there are about 10-15 total non-cookie cutter homes in the entire San Antonio metropolitan area.

BLUF: If you want newer construction, on a larger lot, in a good area with access to shopping and entertainment, with a great school district, outside the city, NW on I-10 is a good area. You will pay more than you do in the city, but it is a trade off for the benefits mentioned.

Stone Oak has nice areas, but I am unfamiliar with the schools. A little too crowded for my taste. Traffic congestion should improve following the completion of the 1604/281 interchange.

My coworkers that live NE outside 1604 are happy with their neighborhoods. The I-35 inbound commute in the morning is a beast. Most avoid it and take surface streets.
Wasn't trying to argue but I don't agree with your logic either. Cookie cutter is fine for those that are happy with it. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't agree with what you classify as cookie cutter and what isn't.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
 
413 posts, read 362,908 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Okay, so using the logic of MattTx and ItsTheTruth applied to their definition of what is and what is not cookie cutter, there are about 10-15 total non-cookie cutter homes in the entire San Antonio metropolitan area.
Actually, there are tens of thousands of them. There are these wonderful people called architects, and the like to draw houses. You give them money, they give you a drawing. It's actually quite simple. Some people, however, are impatient and lack creativity, therefore they buy cookie cutter houses and change the meaning of words like "custom" in order to feel better about themselves.

If you're paying more to live out there, then I have a PT Barnum quote for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:18 PM
 
1,285 posts, read 621,912 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Actually, there are tens of thousands of them. There are these wonderful people called architects, and the like to draw houses. You give them money, they give you a drawing. It's actually quite simple. Some people, however, are impatient and lack creativity, therefore they buy cookie cutter houses and change the meaning of words like "custom" in order to feel better about themselves.

If you're paying more to live out there, then I have a PT Barnum quote for you.
Thank you for condescending labor of providing me a definition of architect. Just have to love those who consider their opinion to be the only correct one.

Custom: Adjective: Made or done to order for a particular customer.

Alas, I am not struggling with the elusive definition of the term. Means just what I thought it did. A custom home builder, building a one-off home, with no others like it in a catalog of available plans, would meet this definition. I agree, going with the commercial builders is not custom. I understand this quite clearly.

I don't know what you have against the NW. It does offer the things I claimed, and it's no secret that homes on larger lots, outside the city cost a bit more than those on smaller lots inside the city. Don't understand the problem with this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 03:14 PM
 
3,708 posts, read 5,164,700 times
Reputation: 1441
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Okay, so using the logic of MattTx and ItsTheTruth applied to their definition of what is and what is not cookie cutter, there are about 10-15 total non-cookie cutter homes in the entire San Antonio metropolitan area.

Um, I can think of 10 in my neighborhood alone, in a few blocks' radius. Some old, some new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 AM
 
1,285 posts, read 621,912 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Um, I can think of 10 in my neighborhood alone, in a few blocks' radius. Some old, some new.
Yes, I understand. I was being sarcastic in my earlier post. Some seem to have an extremely restrictive view of what a custom home is. Even if you have a one off, built by a custom builder, not from a book of available plans, if you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, you don't have a custom home due to the restrictions applied by said HOA seems to be the thought process. If that is the case, then there are very few custom homes in SA.

I agree, there are many more of them than some posters seem willing to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM
 
Location: East Snobb
229 posts, read 184,786 times
Reputation: 194
You people are doing a great job of going totally off the subject of the the OP. Fair Oaks ranch is NOT within 30 minutes of Lackland...well, maybe Sunday @ 3 AM. To the OP...DM sent.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-27-2012 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: replaced word - keep it civil w/no name calling per TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top