U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 AM

34 posts, read 40,820 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I have been reading on and off, threads and topics on this forum and getting info for a few months now, and I have to say it has been invaluable!
We are family of four, planing to move to San Antonio this summer.

We are looking to rent a house at first. I have narrowed down to the North East side(above 1604) and NEISD.

Also have been looking in the Timberwood Park direction, is too far out?There seem to be decent elementary school.

Where are the closest groceries shopping/doctors/hospitals/cinemas areas?
How long does it take to drive to downtown SA from TP?

I had a look at some of the school websites in and around Stone Oak, but I still have a trouble picking the right school,( Hardy Oak elemetary, besides TP elm. is my only chocie for now, any other to recomend )?My DD is 8 y old, and is currently in the year 4 BC (grade 4 US).

We need 4 bed. house, what is the realistic price to expect in that part of the town?
Any reputable agencies or agents anyone has to recomend would be of great help!
How long does it take for one to open bank account?What banks would you recomend(i.e customer service wise)?

When it comes to health insurance, wich companies are easiest to deal with?

On the subject of rental car - we will hire a car on arrival (I will have international and UAE driving licenses) - but what is the best deal that anyone has found for family sedan size car?

I have more questions, but I feel this is alot alredy...

Thank you very much for your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 PM

Anyone?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 AM

592 posts, read 1,835,101 times
Stone Oak is too populated. Traffic is a nightmare. I10-1604 area may be better.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,299,653 times
I don't live in the area, but I can answer some of your questions. HEB Plus is on Evans Rd. and there is also an HEB at 281 and 1604. Northwoods Theater is near 281 and 1604. Stone Oak has North Central Baptist and Methodist Stone Oak Hospital. There are all kinds of doctors lining Stone Oak Pkwy. Most people here prefer credit unions or local banks. I don't know how long it would take for a non-citizen to open up an account. Rent for a 4-bedroom house in the area will probably run from $1500 to over $4000. However, I did find a few properties that are from $900 to $1500.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:42 AM

Thank you guy's !

I will look it up on the google map, but in reality, how long would you guess it takes to get to either hospitals from TP?

credit unions/local banks ...check

My DH says TX/San Antonio can be as hot as here in Dubai, how often do you get temp. above 110 F and 80% to 100% humidity?

Am I in total denail, surely it can not be as hot as here, will he win this debate!?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:47 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,158,196 times
Timberwood Park is pretty far out in my opinion, especially considering the traffic on 281 north of 1604. There are alternatives like Blanco Road, but you'd probably want to get on 281 south of 1604 to get downtown. Also, there is a lot of construction at the 281/1604 interchange right now, which is supposed to last through at least next year, if not longer. They're (finally) putting in interchange ramps, but only those going south, east, and west for now, if I'm not mistaken.

If you took 281 straight from Timberwood Park, my guess is that it could take an hour or more at the height of rush hour to get downtown. The biggest problems are the stop lights at Stone Oak/TPC Parkway, Evans Road, and Encino
Rio. TXDOT put in a sophisticated turning system last year, but that helped for about four months.

If you decide on TP, the nearest hospitals are in Stone Oak, though I'm sure there are doctors in Bulverde. There's a new movie theater at TPC Parkway and 281, and another at 281/1604. There are HEB groceries in Bulverde (281 and 46) and at Evans Road, as well as 1604. There's a Super Target at TPC Parkway, and a Wal-Mart at 1604. Also, HEB, Super Target, and a lot of other stores and restaurants can be found at Blanco and 1604.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,158,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKate View Post
Thank you guy's !

I will look it up on the google map, but in reality, how long would you guess it takes to get to either hospitals from TP?

credit unions/local banks ...check

My DH says TX/San Antonio can be as hot as here in Dubai, how often do you get temp. above 110 F and 80% to 100% humidity?

Am I in total denail, surely it can not be as hot as here, will he win this debate!?
It got to 110 F once last year (a bad year for heat and drought), but that's very rare--the all-time record is 111. It's very dry (not humid) when that occurs. It's not as hot as Dubai, but it does get up pretty high from May through September. It also can get well below freezing occasionally, though, this time of year.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,299,653 times
I forgot about the Walmart at 281 and 1604 and Costco.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 AM

93 posts, read 78,327 times
Around 60 days with 100+ degrees last year. Humidity is brutal in the mornings. 2 out of the last 4 years it's been like this, although many apologists will try to tell you that this is abnormal. It's slowly becoming the norm.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:14 AM

Over here by the time March-April comes a/c is already working9at least during hottest part of the day), May and June are moderate 90's and 100's + humidity, and July and August, Sep. see temp.avrege between 110 to 120 F...more or less + humidity... it doesn't get any better in the evenings, even though it drops to 80-90 range..humidity makes up for it...and long long daylight hours.It just "feels" hotter I guess.

Last summer we saw 55 C-58 C days, 130 + F (albeit only for a day or two).It was scorching...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio