U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 PM

5,857 posts, read 6,617,572 times

Advertisements

It's hard to get through everything at Sea World in one day. If you're coming before it's warm enough to swim or before the new waterpark there is open, then buying a Fun Card instead of a single day's admission might be a good idea. You have to pay to park at Sea World, I think it's $15 per day. The Fun Card is actually the same price as the single day's admission, so you could leave yourselves the option of going for a second day if you wanted to.

The Riverwalk doesn't take long to see, especially with kids who might want to accidentally jump in. I remember being really nervous near the riverwalk when my kids were young.

The zoo here is okay. I haven't been to a lot of other zoos so I don't know how it really compares, but there's enough to see at our zoo to fill a day. There's a water play area for kids 5 and younger where they can wade in about six inches of water. There's a big play area built on the side of a little hill too, if that's still open. There's also Brackenridge park which is next to the zoo and has a play area built in an old mission building. Oh, and you can pack lunch and bring it to the zoo.

On Tuesdays afternoons the Witte museum has free admission. They have a science treehouse that's fun for the kids. Sometimes the Witte doesn't have enough to look at to justify paying for admission, that's why it's nice to go on free day. (Like most museums, when they're switching exhibits, they'll have large closed areas). San Antonio Museum of Art is also free on Tuesday afternoons. It's a little less fun for young kids and on Tuesdays there are lots of kids running wild in there.

About the children's museum, I think if my kids were picking, they'd rather go to Ripley's Believe it or not or the wax museum, which are downtown across from the Alamo. The Alamo is another thing you should take the kids to see, or at least take their pictures in front of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:06 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,424,718 times
My kids LOVE the kids' museum,but it's hard to get past the big ball thing at the entrance . Easy to spend a lot of time there.

Sea World is doable in a day.

I'd stay downtown or near downtown (Southtown area or near north), so you don't have to drive all the time. Do the historic walking tour. Check out the missions - and if you're up for it, take a bike to do so. Wander up the Museum Reach of the Riverwalk on foot or bike. With stops along the way at Brack Park and Pearl, that can take the better part of the day. See if there's a concert going on at the Pearl.

Take a stroll down the mission reach of the riverwalk, stop and hang out at the park along the way.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,888,628 times
Also check out Market Square maby have lunch at Mi Tierra go visit the observation deck of Tower Of Americas. In New Braunfels there's Natural Bridge Caverns and Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch.

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Historic Market Square

Tower of the Americas - Taking Entertaiment & Fine Dining to New Heights.

The Buckhorn - Since 1881

Home Page Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch

Attractions in Texas | Natural Bridge Caverns

Old 01-30-2012, 06:24 AM

4,266 posts, read 6,900,889 times
Mi Tierra. Yes, I think that adults and kids would enjoy that as well.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 AM

3,736 posts, read 5,424,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
...And now that I think about it, the airport would be a good area for a hotel too. It's close to the north end of Broadway. It's also closer to convenient shopping like Walmart.
At the risk of being labeled elitist, why would access to Walmart be a primary factor for a visitor to San Antonio? The exist pretty much everywhere, do people really come to San Antonio to go to Walmart?

I could kind of see if someone wanted easy access to the Outlet Mall in San Marcos, or someplace you don't have everywhere else, but is being close to Walmart a normal selling point for a hotel?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:38 AM

94 posts, read 32,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
At the risk of being labeled elitist, why would access to Walmart be a primary factor for a visitor to San Antonio? The exist pretty much everywhere, do people really come to San Antonio to go to Walmart?

I could kind of see if someone wanted easy access to the Outlet Mall in San Marcos, or someplace you don't have everywhere else, but is being close to Walmart a normal selling point for a hotel?
No, but it could be a nice convenience for a family wishing to prepare their own meals/snacks in their hotel room. Maybe carry some food for their day out. Damn elitists...

Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM

65 posts, read 73,388 times
Stayed at the Palacio del Rio couple of years ago. It was THE WORST night at a hotel EVER!!! Don't get me wrong, the hotel was lovely. It was what went on at night outside: LOUD cars, street racing, horns honking, not just beep beep, but laying on it for long periods of time, blaring stereos, thump, thump, thump, ALL night long. It was after 5 AM when it finally subsided. Something to think about if staying downtown.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 AM

32 posts, read 26,471 times
Sea World can be done in one day as long as you are not visiting the Waterpark area. Plan another 1/2 day for that area. They should have the full waterpark open this season after the partial renovation. Look online and plan out the shows. The rides can be done inbetween. There is a LOT of space between rides and shows so you will be doing a lot of walking. The walk back to the car for lunch is a long haul and takes a lot of time but also plan 45-60 mins waiting in line for food around lunch during the summer months.

Downtown & the Alamo are great. The Riverwalk can take up more time than you would think especially if you eat there and ride the barge tour. The zoo is okay but nothing special. I wouldn't spend my time there. My family really likes the Market Square and Mi Terra as well.

San Antonio isn't that big and it doesn't take that long to get around no matter where you are with exception to rush hour traffic during the week. If you're not staying downtown, the North, Northwest/Airport area is fine.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:27 AM

2,931 posts, read 2,482,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmke View Post
Stayed at the Palacio del Rio couple of years ago. It was THE WORST night at a hotel EVER!!! Don't get me wrong, the hotel was lovely. It was what went on at night outside: LOUD cars, street racing, horns honking, not just beep beep, but laying on it for long periods of time, blaring stereos, thump, thump, thump, ALL night long. It was after 5 AM when it finally subsided. Something to think about if staying downtown.
I hope you never stay in a hotel in NYC (or Tokyo) then.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:29 AM

2,931 posts, read 2,482,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

My initial reaction to this was the same as yours Chaka but as I thought about it more...having small kids would make wal-mart an ideal place to have close by in case you need something for them (diapers, meds, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio