U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,202 times
Default Need advice on San Antonio vacation

We're planning on coming to SA for a long weekend sometime in the next two months. We're planning on going to SeaWorld & a Spurs game, not sure what else.

Where should we stay? Closer to SeaWorld / Riverwalk / somewhere else? Specific hotels suggestions would be appreciated ($100-$150 range would be great, nothing in the $200+/night range)

I'm only planning on spending 1 day at SeaWorld. Any suggestions on how to make the most of it - must see/do or other advice?

What else should we plan on doing? Our children will be with us (8, 4, & 17mos).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,216,651 times
If you are only spending one day at Sea World, get your hotel on the riverwalk.

There is nothing out there in that area for a tourist except Fiesta Texas and Sea World.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,548,939 times
If your going to stay down town, be warned you are going to have to spend at least $24.00 per day to park your car. Your hotel will be a lot more expensive then one not on the riverwalk as well. Try to find a place that has breakfast, free internet, free parking. Places like Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, ect... If it were me I would stay some where around the Airport area. Lots of shopping, 10 minutes to down town 25-30 minutes to sea world.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,216,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If your going to stay down town, be warned you are going to have to spend at least $24.00 per day to park your car. Your hotel will be a lot more expensive then one not on the riverwalk as well. Try to find a place that has breakfast, free internet, free parking. Places like Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, ect... If it were me I would stay some where around the Airport area. Lots of shopping, 10 minutes to down town 25-30 minutes to sea world.
Some hotels downtown have free parking included.

I wouldn't reccomend the airport area but that's just me.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
If you are only spending one day at Sea World, get your hotel on the riverwalk.
I think we are leanng towards the Riverwalk - any suggestions on hotels there?

Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM

94 posts, read 121,628 times
You may want to try Embassy Suites on I-10 or by the Airport - get more room than regular hotel plus the free breakfast included (and happy hour for Mom & Dad). Will probably be better deal than staying downtown. Be sure to check SeaWorld site b/f booking - they are generally closed Jan & Feb., then weekends only in March except Spring Break week. You could spend one day downtown - Riverwalk, SA Children's Museum, RW Boat Tour, Alamo, Imax, etc., then go to Spurs game.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM

4,082 posts, read 6,495,893 times
After Seaworld and downtown/Riverwalk, you might consider visiting the San Antonio Zoo at Brackenridge Park. It's located between the airport and downtown.

The downtown area would be the best choice IMO. I would also drive up Broadway from downtown. You'll pass the SA Museum of Art (I forget which sidestreet), Witte Museum & Brackenridge Park (SA Zoo is here), Botanical Gardens, and Central Market (large grocery/convenience store).

Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 AM

4,082 posts, read 6,495,893 times
...And now that I think about it, the airport would be a good area for a hotel too. It's close to the north end of Broadway. It's also closer to convenient shopping like Walmart. There are probably nicer hotels around there for a lot cheaper than the Riverwalk area.

Last edited by OzzyRules; 01-29-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 11:55 AM

74 posts, read 78,435 times
I personally like the Marriott San Antonio Northwest. Its off i10 and 410 right outside the loop. Some may say they don't like it and give you plenty of reasons why not, but heres my reasons why I think its a bargain.

Example: The Riverwalk Marriott is $250 a night, parking is $25 daily for self, $33 for valet. Yes, the location is great because you can just walk around and not need a car for nightlife dinner etc. But I'm assuming with the kids dinner may be more sensible at a kid friendly place rather than like fogo de chao type place.

The Marriott at San Antonio Northwest is an actual Marriott, not a Courtyard or Residence, Springhill etc. The rates are $100 a night, or $130 a night including breakfast for 2 adults and any children under 12. Plus parking is free. I live in the area, takes me 12 minutes to get to Riverwalk. So you're fairly close. Sea World is about 20 minutes away, and Six Flags is only about 10 minutes away (as well as La Cantera in case you want to shop). Also a hop skip and jump away (within 10 mins) is the Airport, Northstar Mall, The Quarry Market, and great San Antonio restaurants such as Chris Madrids, The Cove, Gourmet Burger Grill, and plenty more.

In the end the choice is yours but if you are going to have a car this is the best bang for your buck.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM

How many days do I need to plan for SeaWorld? Is one enough? What about Riverwalk & the other stuff? We have a flexibility in how long to stay, but I don't want to stay longer than necessary (due to work, expenses, keeping kids entertained, etc.).

How does the children's museum & zoo compare to the ones in Ft. Worth? We are in DFW, so that's what our kids are used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio