Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM

87 posts, read 220,115 times

Advertisements

Looking for opinions here. My doctor delivers babies only at Methodist Stone Oak or NorthCentral Baptist. Does anyone have opinions/information about pros/cons with both of these hospitals.

My biggest concerns are 1- my husband being able to either stay with me in room or be able to come and go freely- the same with visitors, to come and go whenever and 2- my 3 year old daughter being able to come to visit me as well. Not sure how that is handled in maternity wards, but I didn't know if kids were allowed.

Any information is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Don't know about the maternity ward, but unfortunately I've been up at SO Methodist a TON this week. We've been able to come and go pretty freely to visit our friend in ICU. Staff has been very nice and the facilities are excellent. Maternity may be different, but I've been impressed with the hours we've been allowed to keep.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,306 times
I had 2 surgeries back to back a couple of months ago... 1st was on Oct 27, 2011 and 2nd was Nov 3, 2011... Both surgeries were done at North Central Baptist... I stayed in the hospital for 4 days for the 1st surgery and for 2 days for the 2nd...

I was very impressed with the hospital over all... All of my visitors were able to come and go as they pleased, my husband was able to stay as long as he wanted and our 3 kids (5, 10 & 15) were able to come in anytime my husband brought them...

The rooms were very clean as were the bathrooms... The 1st surgery I lucked out and got a HUGE private room with a ginormous bathroom and a 2nd attached room with it's own tv, microwave, fridge, lounge chairs, etc... My husband LOVED that room as he was able to chill out in there while I was in and out of sleep...

The 2nd surgery I had a normal private room, but it was still nice, no complaints...

The nursing staff was pretty attentive, although they were short staffed on 1 night, which meant they were answering calls slower, but this was no fault of the hospital... All my nurses were so very nice and so very accomodating and had no problem getting me what I needed...

Also, I didn't have very much appetite due to the all the pain meds I was on, so I kept sending all my meals back and they were barely touched... After day 2 of this my room phone rang and when I answered it was the dining staff saying they noticed I was not eating my meals and if I wanted anything made to order to just ask... They went over the menu options for the following day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and asked which meal I would prefer... I was pretty impressed...

I would suggest going on a tour of both hospitals and make a list of all your questions... The maternity wards should give tours, atleast the hospitals that I delivered my 3 kids at all did... I delivered all of them at a Methodist facility... You may even be able to go on their website and check for a tour schedule or possibly schedule a tour date/time online...

Good Luck with your decision...

Old 01-30-2012, 05:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie1013 View Post
Looking for opinions here. My doctor delivers babies only at Methodist Stone Oak or NorthCentral Baptist. Does anyone have opinions/information about pros/cons with both of these hospitals.

My biggest concerns are 1- my husband being able to either stay with me in room or be able to come and go freely- the same with visitors, to come and go whenever and 2- my 3 year old daughter being able to come to visit me as well. Not sure how that is handled in maternity wards, but I didn't know if kids were allowed.

Any information is GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!
Stone Oak will meet all these needs/wants.. My Gkid born there last year! Daughter was happy with the experience..
.................................................. ..............................

Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 AM

93 posts, read 197,032 times
We had our second daughter at Stone Oak Methodist. Amazing!! Absolutely loved it! Great care, great facilities! My personal experience with the ER and paying for the ER with no real treatment given at North Central Baptist makes me not recommend it.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM

413 posts, read 741,842 times
Your husband coming and going freely is standard. Ditto your children however most hospitals will not allow other children under 12 so tell your visitors to leave their kids at home.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM

134 posts, read 384,777 times
I would say an ER and Maternity ward are two very different things. My wife will be delivering our first child at NC Baptist in May. Her frind just had a baby there and the service and room were impressive. I doubt you could go wrong with either location, but you should call both and ask them questions and do the tours. I know one is available at NC Baptist.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM

93 posts, read 197,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egeorge View Post
I would say an ER and Maternity ward are two very different things.
True, but the service we received in the ER and the cost for service (or lack of it) was astounding. So, to me, that speaks volumes.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,480 times
Default Stone Oak

The rooms are the nicest in maternity at Stone Oak compared to the rest of the hospital. But the rest of the hospital is very nice and modern looking also. Very good security on the floor. Nice staff. Nice "cafe". Large windows in front of hospital also make it nice open feel. Beautiful hospital overall. They may still offer valet parking also but not sure.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times
It's all about that Patient Nourishment! NC Baptist is a great hospital!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio