Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolleather View Post
* Received a ticket during rush hour traffic, for passing in a no passing zone (That's what the ticket says) (Officer wrote passing on the right). There is a road US 90 & Hunt Lane (Google Satellite Map) between the hours of 7:30 - 7:45 am in the morning that gets really backed up, so cars automatically make the lane a two lane road, one that goes to the right (up on the jughandle), the other lane stays straight that goes to a 3 way intersection, even though it's technically a very wide one lane road. The officer pulls me and 3 other cars over for the mentioned violation. We (3 cars in front of me) were going straight to the intersection. Mind you, there are no signs posted about no passing zone. In my little bit of research, the word pass or passing in the Texas Transportation Code
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS
means to overtake and proceed past another vehicle moving in the same direction as the passing vehicle or to attempt that maneuver.

Already plead not guilty, now waiting court date. What do you think my chances are for getting this dismissed?

If it is technically a very wide one lane road then it should used as such and whether signs are posted or not common sense should prevail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 17,632 times
Towbar & CSD610,
Thank you for your sentiments. I thought and said the same thing, when I received the ticket. Common sense has to be used in situations and not just what "the law" says. What really gets me is that the same cop was back issuing tickets there again a week later. Can you say "QUOTA MET $$$$$", for the month. Think about a $265 ticket for 4-5 people a week. This is most definitely a revenue generator if I ever saw one.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,299 times
Quote:
Towbar & CSD610,
Thank you for your sentiments. I thought and said the same thing, when I received the ticket. Common sense has to be used in situations and not just what "the law" says. What really gets me is that the same cop was back issuing tickets there again a week later. Can you say "QUOTA MET $$$$$", for the month. Think about a $265 ticket for 4-5 people a week. This is most definitely a revenue generator if I ever saw one.
Quotas are illegal.

Texas Transportation Code - Section 720.002. Prohibition On Traffic-Offense Quotas - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

§ 720.002. PROHIBITION ON TRAFFIC-OFFENSE QUOTAS. (a) A
political subdivision or an agency of this state may not establish
or maintain, formally or informally, a plan to evaluate, promote,
compensate, or discipline:
(1) a peace officer according to the officer's
issuance of a predetermined or specified number of any type or
combination of types of traffic citations;....

....A violation of
this section by a person who is not an elected official is a ground
for removal from the person's position.

Now, a few thoughts.

If someone really wanted to "hit" people for revenue generation, why not do so? Not all tickets have the same fine, why not just follow around a school bus and hand out 1000 dollar tickets (it is very easy to do) and people dont even get very upset about people breaking the law around unloading/loading school buses. In other words, why not go after the big money that doesnt upset as many people?

If you think they are breaking the law, because they have "quotas"...report it. Lets see if your feelings on the issue match the facts. File a FOIA for the Officers record. The truth is, you are going to be wrong. If anything, what you would find is "down time" (time when the officer was not responding to a call or out writting citations)...and that leads to the question "what are Officers doing? People tend to want them to be able to account for their time and that is fairly reasonable.

I have explained, in some detail, why it is illegal. No matter how you feel about it, it causes problems. People tend to think "common sense" means when you do something, it is "ok" and when the other guy doesnt it, it is NOT "ok." It is a one lane road, when people turn it into a two lane road, you have take the option away from someone who had the right to it being a one lane road...he is right, you are not.

Why would an Officer risk his job, his pension, his life, to do something that people will hate him for and is illegal? (quotas)

Now, do you incorporate these things into your way of thinking or do you just keep pressing on with "they, have quotas...I didnt do anything wrong...it doesnt hurt anyone..."

Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Towbar & CSD610,

Are you or did you go to court for this? What was the outcome if you went already?

I'm just curious (otherwise known as being nosey...LOL)

Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
Quote:
Towbar & CSD610,

I'm sorry but I disagree, if the city decides to enforce their laws rather than make up their own I am all "fine" by it I have the same problem with my coworkers whenever DOT sets inspections on 1604 and I10 (but thats another topic) but seriously next time a better scouting or a quick browse through the drivers handbook (it even has pictures) will give you more knowledge. And knowing is half the battle!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Quotas are illegal.

Texas Transportation Code - Section 720.002. Prohibition On Traffic-Offense Quotas - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

§ 720.002. PROHIBITION ON TRAFFIC-OFFENSE QUOTAS. (a) A
political subdivision or an agency of this state may not establish
or maintain, formally or informally, a plan to evaluate, promote,
compensate, or discipline:
(1) a peace officer according to the officer's
issuance of a predetermined or specified number of any type or
combination of types of traffic citations;....

....A violation of
this section by a person who is not an elected official is a ground
for removal from the person's position.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Nice law. Too bad it's not enforced.

Given the fact that a little googling shows people being busted for it, that goes to show your information is not correct.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Given the fact that a little googling shows people being busted for it, that goes to show your information is not correct.
Every now and then an internal memo or email leaks out from one police agency or another all across the country. Quotas are alive and well, and universally denied.

http://blog.motorists.org/if-you-did...-you-will-now/

Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Every now and then an internal memo or email leaks out from one police agency or another all across the country. Quotas are alive and well, and universally denied.

If You Didn’t Believe Ticket Quotas Existed Before, You Will Now

I dont understand that logic, If it "gets" out...then it isnt much of a secret.

listen, if you want to think they are normal, go ahead. The Police dont need to look real hard to find people to write tickets to.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio