U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 AM

65 posts, read 67,697 times
Default $12 Radio Shack Antenna...anyone ever tried instead of cable?

I'm a single person who doesn't watch much tv. I want to get rid of
my overpriced cable, but still would like to watch the news and some
local channels for a few sitcoms. I've researched and read many reviews
about this $12 antenna from radio shack that people say is great and they
can clearly get lots of channels.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:40 AM

5,556 posts, read 9,134,984 times
I'm not sure what is the "$12 antenna", but I did buy one from Radio Shack a few years ago and have ditched cable ever since. I've been happy with it. If I want to watch a movie or something specific, I just find it on my ipad or something and hook it up for fullscreen viewing on the TV.

I put the antenna in my attic and dropped the cable down to the first floor. Don't forget you get HD channels with antenna and that the quality is a bit better than Timewarner/Dish/etc because the signal is coming in uncompressed.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,369 posts, read 20,288,678 times
Not only is this cordcutting method cheaper, but if you pay close attention to the difference between the picture quality of local stations on the $12 antenna vs. the same station on cable, the antenna version will look better. Cable companies compress the digital broadcast signals and the picture looks worse on cable than it does over the air. I've noticed that difference when I compare that OTA antenna pictureto my Time-Warner cable picture here in SA, especially on sports.

BTW, I paid $8 for my set-top antenna from WalMart.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:38 AM

3,088 posts, read 2,295,531 times
I worked for Radio Shack for 8 years in the 90's. If I had a nickel for every one of their indoor antennas that were returned I could have retired after the first year.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:44 AM

115 posts, read 113,468 times
We have an indoor antenna (rabbit ears) and we get quite a few channels with it. I can't remember if we ended up buying it at Radio Shack or WalMart. The only channel that I can't seem to get on it that I'd like to is ABC.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM

421 posts, read 474,778 times
I don't think that antenna will work without a signal converter box ($50).

Old 02-04-2012, 12:20 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,313,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco2 View Post
I don't think that antenna will work without a signal converter box ($50).
You don't need the converter box if you have a newer TV with an integrated digital tuner.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:07 PM

284 posts, read 413,331 times
I have a couple antenna...an outdoor or in the attic wilo always work better if you can swing it, I will be cutting the cord in June when my contract is up.

Here is a great resource, it will tell you distance to the stations, antenna type required and direction to point it...

AntennaWeb - Address

Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 AM

235 posts, read 322,950 times
It depends on where you are located (distance from the stations transmitting antenna, obstacles between your antenna and theirs, etc.). No one can say for sure how well any antenna will work for you, you pretty much have to try it and see. But generally speaking an antenna that is designed to be outdoors (although you may mount it in your attic) will work better than set top (e.g. rabbit ears) antennas. But for some people (depending on their location), rabbit ears is all they need.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 AM

496 posts, read 329,680 times
I live in Bulverde, and I'm over 40 miles from the transmitting antennas south of San Antonio. I have an antenna in my attic which receives all of the SA signals, as well as all of the Austin signals.

I can get all signals except some of the PBS signals from set top rabbit ears. I say go ahead and try the RS $12. Heck it's only 12 bucks, and you can always return them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio