U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,072 times
Default Does San Antonio have homes with basements?

My job may be transferring me down to San Antonio and I am beggining to look into housing. One thing I was curious about was whether or not SA had homes with basements. I'd love to have something where I can have my own mancave seperate from the rest of the house. Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM

771 posts, read 1,111,111 times
There are some older homes in the city with basements, but the vast majority of homes in San Antonio do not have basements. I was hoping to maybe find one myself for the same reason. A lot of homes here have "Game Rooms" that make great man caves.

Squidlo

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM

3,349 posts, read 9,887,829 times
I live in an older section of the city, south of Alamo Heights. I have a basement and the house next door has a basement. A friend in Olmos Park has a basement.
Basements like your thinking of are hard to find. The older neighborhoods have them, but they are few and far between.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:46 PM

781 posts, read 2,729,872 times
I live north outside 1604 off 281....no basements here.....way too much rock to get thru. I can just see them dynamiting to make the basement.....lol

Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I have to agree that most basements are going to be in houses of Alamo Heights vintage or older. My aunt's house in Monte Vista has an enormous basement complete with a dumbwaiter and a chute for coal to run the boilers. It was built in 1917.

There was another thread about basements a few months ago, and a poster mentioned something interesting. Due to the slope in some of the new developments outside 1604, many homes have a bottom level that is almost like a basement - from the front, the house looks like a single story, but due to the slope on the lot there is room for a substory that is accessible from the back. So something like that could be an option for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:03 PM

72 posts, read 166,864 times
A friend of ours is a developer and says the few houses he's built with basements (walk-outs, as I recall) he's had trouble selling. I'm from Kansas and would love to have a basement, but in talking to several builders I've learned that the extra cost of foundation work makes it less affordable. So, for what it's worth, there are two possible reasons for you.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,745,963 times
Several plans in the Pulte Del Webb subdivision in Alamo Ranch offer finished basements as an option.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 AM

9 posts, read 24,691 times
We have what my neighbor calls a "Texas Basement". It's a stand-up attic above the garage with pull down steps. Might be adaptable to a man room with a window cut in, some siding, and an air conditioning unit.

Another idea is to find a house with a cabana house. We saw several of these in different areas. They're guest quarters outside by a pool. A couple of them even had cooking facilities, though not a full kitchen.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:24 PM

4,082 posts, read 6,499,992 times
There may be some in the hill country northwest of San Antonio.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM

1,876 posts, read 3,203,638 times
I would just go to one of the Lowes or Home Depot's and get one of there larger storage type units. You can even get them with front porches for the summer. You could insulate the heck out of it and put in a window unit AC w/ heat pump for the winter and your done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio