Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 AM

97 posts, read 340,646 times

Advertisements

Anyone on the forum have any experience or can recommend any good doctors that specialize in Female Hair Loss?

A family member started experiencing this a few weeks ago and is absolutely devasted by this so I'm trying to gather some information.

Shes seen her primary care physician but he recommended a doctor that really wasn't that knowledgeable of the situation - trying to see if anyone has had any recommendations on best next steps.

Thanks so much for any insight any of you may provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Who did they refer her to, because I used to see a good dermatologist there (there were only 2 on my plan, I think, and I chose John Gonzalez) but, I wasn't seeing him for hair loss. I can definitely empathize, though, because that must be an awful thing to experience. I know others have not spoken highly of Dr. Gonzalez on here but I really liked him. Good luck to your family member.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM

905 posts, read 1,630,532 times
Saphire is right, find out who is on your referral plan; out of plan try Dr. Vivian Bucay.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 AM

330 posts, read 587,431 times
Not sure the circumstances around the hair loss but I went through sudden weird patchy hair loss a few years ago that seemed untreatable w/ the derm. Turned out to be undiagnosed celiac disease. If she doesn't get relief from the derm, she might want to pursue food allergy/celiac testing. Good luck to her!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,398 times
I had the same problem. Lots and lots of hair falling out. I was devastated. My PCP ordered blood work for Thryoid. Levels were ok. Still had the same complaint after a year, this time got tested for Thryoid/Thryoid antibodies. Thyroid levels were good, but the Thyroid antibodies were way way up. Have been referred to the endocrinologist.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:57 PM

191 posts, read 447,433 times
Please google candida and hair loss. I have been losing hair for 8 years and always knew I had issues with candida, but after a strong dose of antibiotics in November, I was losing much more hair! Well a change in diet and in 3 months I had new hair growth! It was so depressing when I was losing my hair, and the docs were no help!! All of my test results came back "normal." Hope you find a solution that works for you!!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM

71 posts, read 282,625 times
I see Dr. Vivian Bucay for another reason and think that she is very good. However, DO NOT get an early appointment as she is likely to be late. Her staff is very knowledgeable and I enjoy seeing her physicians assistant as well.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
I work at a hotel by the Airport, we have a good number of people who come to town just to see Dr. Limmer. While I have never delt with him, all of our guests say how great he is

Limmer Hair Transplant Clinic - Home

Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 AM

126 posts, read 249,670 times
Doesn't matter who is covered by the insurance because insurance won't cover any hair loss procedures or medication.

I would recommend Dr. Bonnie Furner. She has a niche in her practice for this.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcavazos View Post
Please google candida and hair loss. I have been losing hair for 8 years and always knew I had issues with candida, but after a strong dose of antibiotics in November, I was losing much more hair! Well a change in diet and in 3 months I had new hair growth! It was so depressing when I was losing my hair, and the docs were no help!! All of my test results came back "normal." Hope you find a solution that works for you!!
How did you change your diet? I have been wondering if diet and vitamins help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio