U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 09:45 AM

129 posts, read 301,175 times

Advertisements

An idiot coasting into my lane while trying to read an IPhone. I'll just multiply this times 365 so as not to have to post everyday.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM

410 posts, read 809,755 times
Driving down Potranco Saturday nite @ 11:03 pm (I don't know why I noted the time but I did) towards 1604, a police car zoomed past us going close to 60 in a 45 mph, he had no audible siren or emergency lights on but ran the red light at Ellison. There was still quite a bit of traffic out and about. Isn't this the same street a few years ago where someone was killed at Potranco and Hunt Lane because a patrol car went thru intersection with no warning?

And this morning, a soccer mom-type furiously scribbling something onto a notepad while the suv drove itself. Curious. What was so important?

Happy Tuesday Y'all!!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,617,459 times
Is it me, or are there a lot more tire blowouts on SA roads this summer? Not a day goes by where I don't see someone on the side of the road, tire shredded (and some amount of body damage to go with). The worst part is the shredded bits of tire in the roadway--I often don't see them until it's almost too late. (I had an encounter with a tire piece in Feb...replaced the front bumper and side skirt on my car as a result...)

--Dim

Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 AM

4,277 posts, read 6,665,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Is it me, or are there a lot more tire blowouts on SA roads this summer? Not a day goes by where I don't see someone on the side of the road, tire shredded (and some amount of body damage to go with). The worst part is the shredded bits of tire in the roadway--I often don't see them until it's almost too late. (I had an encounter with a tire piece in Feb...replaced the front bumper and side skirt on my car as a result...)

--Dim
Do you think high gas prices might be "causing" people to defer vehicle maintenance?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,617,459 times
Possibly, Soviet. It's either that or maybe we need to have tire tread depth as part of the annual "safety" inspections here. It could also be hotter-than-usual pavement and the like...

--Dim

Old 09-04-2012, 07:43 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,218,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonianByChoice View Post
Driving down Potranco Saturday nite @ 11:03 pm (I don't know why I noted the time but I did) towards 1604, a police car zoomed past us going close to 60 in a 45 mph, he had no audible siren or emergency lights on but ran the red light at Ellison. There was still quite a bit of traffic out and about. Isn't this the same street a few years ago where someone was killed at Potranco and Hunt Lane because a patrol car went thru intersection with no warning?

And this morning, a soccer mom-type furiously scribbling something onto a notepad while the suv drove itself. Curious. What was so important?

Happy Tuesday Y'all!!
Sometimes it is safer to run without lights and sirens. When you turn those things on, people go stupid and it can get very dangerous. Seriously. Sometimes it is far, FAR safer and far faster to just move through traffic in a hurry. Most people dont notice you until you are passing/past them. If you turn on the lights...it turns the road into a mess.

Sometimes you HAVE to run without lights and sirens. There are simply some things you DONT want people to know you are close or coming.

To an observer, it just looks like a patrol car speeding and running lights. You dont have a clue why they are doing it.

This is why "what you see" is only part of the story. If an Officer was responding to your house because you called 911 to say "there is a crazy armed man in the house and we are locked in the bedroom...." You would understand.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,558,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Sometimes it is safer to run without lights and sirens. When you turn those things on, people go stupid and it can get very dangerous. Seriously. Sometimes it is far, FAR safer and far faster to just move through traffic in a hurry. Most people dont notice you until you are passing/past them. If you turn on the lights...it turns the road into a mess.

Sometimes you HAVE to run without lights and sirens. There are simply some things you DONT want people to know you are close or coming.

To an observer, it just looks like a patrol car speeding and running lights. You dont have a clue why they are doing it.

This is why "what you see" is only part of the story. If an Officer was responding to your house because you called 911 to say "there is a crazy armed man in the house and we are locked in the bedroom...." You would understand.
So, by using "sometimes" are you admitting that there are other times where the officer is in fact driving dangerously without necessity? I suppose that you don't care to admit that you've done it yourself, eh?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:09 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,327,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Possibly, Soviet. It's either that or maybe we need to have tire tread depth as part of the annual "safety" inspections here. It could also be hotter-than-usual pavement and the like...

--Dim
They do have a minimum tire tread depth requirement in Texas....no less than 3/32 of an inch on passenger cars and trucks.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,218,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
So, by using "sometimes" are you admitting that there are other times where the officer is in fact driving dangerously without necessity? I suppose that you don't care to admit that you've done it yourself, eh?
No. I said no such thing and I meant no such thing. No matter what you think I said/implied/meant, I am telling you now, in plain and clear language, no. Again, sometimes you do it the way I described. Sometimes you do it another way.

BTW, by law, a Police Patrol, in Texas is exempt from speed limits, always. Texas Trasportation Code 545.365.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,558,928 times
I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio