U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM
 
56 posts, read 56,833 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Oh, and a couple of weeks ago driving on Nacogdoches a pick-up goes past me and the guy is holding these long pvc pipes with his left hand outside the window (they're almost the length of the truck)......and driving with the other hand. I had to do a double take and then burst out laughing!!!! The funniest part is.....HE HAS A TRUCK ...........with the extra higher poles over the bed for ladders......and it was empty!!!!! Would've snapped a picture had I not been driving.

 
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM
 
410 posts, read 806,665 times
Reputation: 324
...on 151 East, crawling in traffic, listening to Elton John (that's right Elton), thinking back to tail-end of traffic jam I came across 2 days earlier resulting from road rage incident and wondering if it would change driving habits of people who witnessed this or heard about it in the news, as if on cue, out of nowhere, a motorcycle passes by on the right shoulder, bypassing all us traffic commoners. Now, I've heard shoulders can be used in the event of car breakdowns, or emergencies, or even to cry on, but somehow I missed that the shoulder is reserved for this one motorcyclist. Make it a good Wednesday!
 
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,289 posts, read 3,334,929 times
Reputation: 917
There was a car on fire on 151 this morning.
 
Old 10-23-2012, 01:51 PM
 
410 posts, read 806,665 times
Reputation: 324
Jenny82, your post reminded me of something Seinfeld spoke about on his tour a few years back. I included a clip but it's not a very good one, the voice doesn't match movements...oh well...


seinfeld mattress.mov - YouTube
 
Old 10-24-2012, 06:50 AM
 
410 posts, read 806,665 times
Reputation: 324
....a leaning tower of wooden pallets on a truck. The height of stacked pallets was easily more than double the height of pickup. It passed me going the opposite direction as I drove in to work. I took a second look and couldn't believe the angle at which the tower sat. I worry for anyone driving directly behind it.

Also, on 151, a crotch rocket passing us traffic commoners, riding the divided line, zig-zagging as if he was walking through the tulips. It's always the same type of bike. I've never seen a cruiser attempt these foolish maneuvers.
 
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 AM
 
545 posts, read 907,413 times
Reputation: 461


I love the red flag. Gotta be safe, you know.
 
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 AM
 
2,097 posts, read 1,821,463 times
Reputation: 2202
A couple of recent observations that I have begun to see with increased frequency. First, I leave for work at or around 6am, so it is still dark for my entire commute. I have seen at least 10 vehicles on I-10, just this week, with no tail lights at all. Not dimmed, or masked by tinted lenses, but zero tail lights. Most had working head lights. Different makes and models, so that sort of rules out the day time running lights not tied to tail lights that some manufacturers have. This is extremely dangerous.

Second, are the state vehicle inspections in San Antonio a joke? I see multiple vehicles on my morning commute, either by passing them, or being passed by them, with noticeable fault lights shining on the instrument panel. Of course it's too far away to clearly see what they are for, but amber lights usually indicate fault notification on the instrument panel. While I am not positive, it would stand to reason that if you took your car/truck/SUV in for the annual state inspection, and it had a brake, check engine, check transmission light illuminated, it would fail the inspection. I have also seen a large number of vehicle pulled onto the shoulders of I-10 and the short stretch of I-35 I take with completely shredded tires. I know for a fact that tires are checked, at least for tread depth, during the state inspection. I have to wonder how some many vehicles are having such catastrophic tire failures within 12 months of a physical inspection. Do a large number of people just not bother, and drive with an expired inspection sticker, or are they paying a little extra to get the inspector to look the other way? I know, at least for people working on any of the military bases in town, that registration and inspection stickers are checked by the gate guards when entering post. You cannot enter with an expired registration or inspection sticker. Appreciate any insights...
 
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,274 posts, read 6,631,913 times
Reputation: 3910
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post

I love the red flag. Gotta be safe, you know.
I'm trying to figure out exactly where this is & I just can't figure it out...
 
Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 AM
 
413 posts, read 652,194 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Second, are the state vehicle inspections in San Antonio a joke? I see multiple vehicles on my morning commute, either by passing them, or being passed by them, with noticeable fault lights shining on the instrument panel. Of course it's too far away to clearly see what they are for, but amber lights usually indicate fault notification on the instrument panel. While I am not positive, it would stand to reason that if you took your car/truck/SUV in for the annual state inspection, and it had a brake, check engine, check transmission light illuminated, it would fail the inspection. I have also seen a large number of vehicle pulled onto the shoulders of I-10 and the short stretch of I-35 I take with completely shredded tires. I know for a fact that tires are checked, at least for tread depth, during the state inspection. I have to wonder how some many vehicles are having such catastrophic tire failures within 12 months of a physical inspection. Do a large number of people just not bother, and drive with an expired inspection sticker, or are they paying a little extra to get the inspector to look the other way? I know, at least for people working on any of the military bases in town, that registration and inspection stickers are checked by the gate guards when entering post. You cannot enter with an expired registration or inspection sticker. Appreciate any insights...
The inspector I go to takes my $16 and gives me a sticker. He usually checks for insurance as well. My vehicles are well maintained, but I do worry about others going there. A friend hasn't had stickers for a few years on any of his three cars although his cars are meticulous. He has been pulled over for other things but he has yet to get an inspection ticket.
 
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,408,601 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I'm trying to figure out exactly where this is & I just can't figure it out...
Looks like it is near that furniture store warehouse by 410. The one that always has a liquidation sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top