U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM

464 posts, read 662,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonianByChoice View Post
Also, a black Porche Cayenne on a tow truck, unblemished. "Where are you going Cayenne? Wish I knew how it felt to drive you. Be safe on your journey."
This, I can confess, is not at all unusual for a Cayenne. My wife had a 2004 and it seems like it spent more time parked in the service bay at the dealer than in our garage. Cannot recommend this problem-prone vehicle despite it being very fun to drive for an SUV. Save your $$.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:25 PM

4,277 posts, read 6,667,377 times
A moron in a gold Acura RL driving 40 mph in the middle lane on 281 just north of 1604 in very light traffic. Ridiculous.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 AM

410 posts, read 809,935 times
...a lush christmas tree tied to top of an suv. Family inside looked happy enough. "Mr. DeMille, this is Christmas, I'm ready for my close-up."

Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,832,526 times
This morning I saw two things I am growing more and more accustomed to seeing. First, another wild mattress has bloomed along I-10 eastbound, just inside the 410 overpass, in the grass median. While it is not that unusual to see a mattress occasionally on the side of the road, what I find strange in the San Antonio area is that the mattress will still be there six months from now. Second, I saw one pick up and three cars with no tail lights on my way in this morning. It was between 6:00 and 6:25am, so it was still dark. The pick up driver at least had the sense to turn on his hazard lights, so he was aware that his tail lights were not working. The other drivers, not so much. I cannot help but wonder if this is a function of day time running lights or just a mechanical fault. My daughter's VW has DRL where the headlights are always on, but the instrument lights and tail lights will only come on if the lights are physically turned on. I would hope that people aren't knowingly driving with no tail lights because they cannot spring the .30 or .40 cents it costs to replace a fuse.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 AM

302 posts, read 566,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I cannot help but wonder if this is a function of day time running lights or just a mechanical fault. My daughter's VW has DRL where the headlights are always on, but the instrument lights and tail lights will only come on if the lights are physically turned on. I would hope that people aren't knowingly driving with no tail lights because they cannot spring the .30 or .40 cents it costs to replace a fuse.
The tail lights and instrument panel lights are on the same circuit by design. ("Park lamp" circuit - including front amber marker lamps) While people may not know their tail lights are out, they certainly have to know the instrument panel right in their face isn't illuminated, especially so during the dark hours! More likely the lack of initiative in taking steps to repair the vehicle the root of the problem.
The shorted fuse isn't costly, but finding the root of the trouble could easily be beyond the average
vehicle operator's area of expertise. A simple "Hmm... my instrument panel won't light up... better have that looked at." is a good first step.
Personal experience: Police had a family member pulled over for driving without taillamps one night.
Near home, they let her go when I agreed to follow her home and remedy the situation.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,180,841 times
Yesterday in the late morning I saw a multi-car accident on 410 W. I think I must have happened upon it shortly after it happened because there was only one police car and no other first responders and there wasn't a backup yet.
Thankful that I didn't have it happen right in front of me, especially with the kids in the car.

I hope everyone was OK, some of those cars looked like they went right into the jersey barrier head on and I saw a car seat in one of them.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,923,910 times
...a good-sized truck on 90 this morning with the rear passenger tire bulging at the bottom, the front was also slightly so but not as bad.

Unsure what to do in such a situation but a blowout during the morning rush hour would not end well. I paced myself on the side of him, made eye contact before I even honked, waved hi then began to make a circle motion with my finger while pointing to his tire.

He slowed down and began to switch lanes toward the exit. Hopefully he sees what I am talking about if so. From his point of view he probably thought I was some nutter just honking, waving, and pointing toward the ground.

Oh I also saw this last month:

Her: Do you have it honey?

Him: Yes! It won't fall!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 AM

410 posts, read 809,935 times
Merovee you did the right thing, God bless you. And I love the captions on picture...lol. Thanks for the smile.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM

4,277 posts, read 6,667,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
This morning I saw two things I am growing more and more accustomed to seeing. First, another wild mattress has bloomed along I-10 eastbound, just inside the 410 overpass, in the grass median. While it is not that unusual to see a mattress occasionally on the side of the road, what I find strange in the San Antonio area is that the mattress will still be there six months from now. Second, I saw one pick up and three cars with no tail lights on my way in this morning. It was between 6:00 and 6:25am, so it was still dark. The pick up driver at least had the sense to turn on his hazard lights, so he was aware that his tail lights were not working. The other drivers, not so much. I cannot help but wonder if this is a function of day time running lights or just a mechanical fault. My daughter's VW has DRL where the headlights are always on, but the instrument lights and tail lights will only come on if the lights are physically turned on. I would hope that people aren't knowingly driving with no tail lights because they cannot spring the .30 or .40 cents it costs to replace a fuse.
How do I replace a fuse? Our taillight's been out for a year or so. I changed the bulb, but that failed to rectify the situation & I couldn't be bothered to do more than that. (It's just 1 taillight, anyways)

But how would one replace the fuse? It's in the little black box in the engine compartment, right?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM

302 posts, read 566,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
How do I replace a fuse? Our taillight's been out for a year or so. I changed the bulb, but that failed to rectify the situation & I couldn't be bothered to do more than that. (It's just 1 taillight, anyways)

But how would one replace the fuse? It's in the little black box in the engine compartment, right?

If you only have one inoperative tail lamp and the others work, the fuse is NOT the problem.
You may have an open voltage circuit to the particular bulb, high resistance or corrosion in the socket, a bad or wrong type replacement bulb, or open path to ground.

But yes, fuses are to be found in the "little black box" underhood and a secondary fuse block (also called power distribution center) in the vehicle interior. Commonly found in the instrument panel, in the glovebox, or under the rear seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio