Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 12:24 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times

Advertisements

Now, now earthquake has just given an honest opinion. One that is shared by many locals. It has less to do with one taking the initiative to "educate" themselves and more to do with the city and downtown associations marketing themselves better.

I encourage earthquake to experience downtown again for himself and to especially visit when it is less packed on Tuesdays unless massive crowds are your thing then a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthquake213 View Post
Who cares! Downtown is for tourists. Its expensive and not that great. There is nothing for San Antonio locals but to work there.
This is a statement that I would have to agree with, as some one who use to work downtown. With the exception of the Majestic. There is nothing on the riverwalk but over priced touristy food. I can count the number of times I have been downtown(besides to work) on one hand, and I've lived here about 10 years.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
This is a statement that I would have to agree with, as some one who use to work downtown. With the exception of the Majestic. There is nothing on the riverwalk but over priced touristy food. I can count the number of times I have been downtown(besides to work) on one hand, and I've lived here about 10 years.

Wow, yet another nugget of wisdom from someone with so many posts to his name.

You only WORKED downtown. I've lived down here for 6+ years. Try speaking up a bit when you know the area and can talk with experience, not just blanket statements.

BN

Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Now, now earthquake has just given an honest opinion
Earthquake gave his opinion. There was nothing proving or noting that it was an honest or truthful in nature. Much like the rest of the world, we can all say what we like, but that doesn't make it right. It takes self-education and the will to explore downtown/southtown to see what it's really comprised of.

BN

Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM

170 posts, read 291,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You seem to be confusing the riverwalk with downtown. I would agree with you that the majority of the riverwalk restaurants suck, but downtown encompasses a lot more than just the riverwalk.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
If our downtown didnt suck so bad, why is the city offering free parking so more people will visit downtown? Why are they offering subsidized parking for businesses to move downtown?

If we had a decent downtown, it would be able to stand on its own 2 feet and locals would flock to it naturally. That is obviously not the case

While they definitely cleaned up the tourist areas around the southbank and main plaza, it still isnt great or what I consider safe. I remember in the 80s you would find empty shell casings in the parking lots (along with the dirty diapers).

There are a few nice things besides the riverwalk, but with all the shady characters, crime, & homeless people, most of the real local natives gave up on downtown a long time ago. And for all the fan boys that have only lived here a few years and thing DT is the greatest place on earth, you must come a very sad place or never planted roots long enough to really know a city. But if our downtown makes you happy, I am happy for you.

Besides both Lula's & Jerry's Chicago Style Hot Dogs are not open for dinner, so there is no point in going downtown in the evening. Free parking or not.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 AM

330 posts, read 587,682 times
^Operating off old intel. I was born here (in a downtown hospital- maybe that's my problem), and I think our downtown is great and getting greater all the time. I moved back in from the 'burbs because I was spending all my time in the downtown and near-downtown anyway. Lots of my neighbors have a similar tale.

It's okay to not want to be downtown. It's also okay to want to be downtown. Can't we all just get along?

As far as free parking outside of Tuesday evenings, if you're in the mood for some scenic strolling, park at Pearl and take the river into town. That's my favorite route.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
If our downtown didnt suck so bad, why is the city offering free parking so more people will visit downtown? Why are they offering subsidized parking for businesses to move downtown?
As stated previously, District 1 Councilman Bernal asked his constituents what stopped residents from coming downtown. The overwhelming response was parking costs. This is one step toward addressing that matter.

Other concerns were expressed, and those are in progress, but parking was by far the biggest issue.

Quote:
If we had a decent downtown, it would be able to stand on its own 2 feet and locals would flock to it naturally. That is obviously not the case
While I agree the focus on chain restaurants on the riverwalk and cheesy tourist attractions detracts from downtown, there are efforts to make changes. That's why the city is seeking out to locals to determine what it needs to do to improve downtown. They could just say "it sucks, let's let it die" or they could ask, as they're doing "how do we make it better?" and take steps in that direction.

Quote:
While they definitely cleaned up the tourist areas around the southbank and main plaza, it still isnt great or what I consider safe. I remember in the 80s you would find empty shell casings in the parking lots (along with the dirty diapers).
Um, it's 2010. Have you been downtown since the 1980s? A lot has changed. Yes, it has its issues like every city in every country in the world pretty much. But it's a world of difference from even 10 years ago, let alone 30 years ago.

Quote:
There are a few nice things besides the riverwalk, but with all the shady characters, crime, & homeless people, most of the real local natives gave up on downtown a long time ago. And for all the fan boys that have only lived here a few years and thing DT is the greatest place on earth, you must come a very sad place or never planted roots long enough to really know a city. But if our downtown makes you happy, I am happy for you.
Everyone has a different perspective on safety, so if you're scared of downtown, no one can convince you otherwise. AS a then younger single woman, I was quite comfortable walking around downtown. And now with my kids, I walk around downtown quite frequently.

Yes, our downtown can be better. But downtown is more than just the Riverwalk. And instead of moaning about how much it sucks, I'd prefer to work with those who are making efforts to improve it. Parking isn't an issue for me personally, usually, since most of the time I walk. But I appreciate that the city is addressing the single most dominant issue that was presented to them. And finally, for the first time in just about forever, the district has a council person who actually gives a hoot about the district and is making efforts to improve it.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
See City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Downtown Operations: Movies by Moonlight for more info. Restaurants offering specials on Tuesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio