U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 PM

11,131 posts, read 20,251,002 times

Advertisements

There are other Walmarts that are not beside the freeway...the one on Bandera, the one on Austin Highway. How is it really that unusual? Isn't the Wurzbach Parkway supposed to be a main street? It's not unusual to build stores along a main street.

And sure, the Alon Market was a great thing for the area. Super. Fabulous. Has anything moved into either of the stores that HEB closed when they opened the Alon shopping center? Or are they going to sit vacant for years thanks to deed restrictions?

About my idea of "rich", someone who lives in a 400K house qualifies. They may not think they're rich, after all nobody is ever happy with what they have and everyone wants more, but to at least 75% of the city, those are the rich. The median household income in San Antonio is 43,800. The median home price is $122K. In San Antonio, a family with a household income of 110K and a 300K house are considered rich. Maybe they wouldn't be if they lived somewhere else, that's not my problem.

And yes, it seems ridiculous to complain about a Walmart being built near a park. If they were building it on another side of town next to a park, would anyone care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,209,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
There are other Walmarts that are not beside the freeway...the one on Bandera, the one on Austin Highway. How is it really that unusual? Isn't the Wurzbach Parkway supposed to be a main street? It's not unusual to build stores along a main street.

And sure, the Alon Market was a great thing for the area. Super. Fabulous. Has anything moved into either of the stores that HEB closed when they opened the Alon shopping center? Or are they going to sit vacant for years thanks to deed restrictions?

About my idea of "rich", someone who lives in a 400K house qualifies. They may not think they're rich, after all nobody is ever happy with what they have and everyone wants more, but to at least 75% of the city, those are the rich. The median household income in San Antonio is 43,800. The median home price is $122K. In San Antonio, a family with a household income of 110K and a 300K house are considered rich. Maybe they wouldn't be if they lived somewhere else, that's not my problem.

And yes, it seems ridiculous to complain about a Walmart being built near a park. If they were building it on another side of town next to a park, would anyone care?
Fair answer and thankyou for giving it. I still just cant understand why people think "rich" is such a low threshold because they have "more" than average. I guess I simply see rich as "more than everyone else"...having some low miltiple above average is just "doing well." Seriously, how do we define "doing well" if the number for "rich" is so low? Teachers and Nurses are not "rich." (just stating an opinion, not arguing as this can never be much more than your thoughts vs. mine)

Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM

10,373 posts, read 12,646,756 times
The area might not need a Walmart, but I think one of those new Walmart-Express stores would be kind of cool. It might even be useful there. I'm not sure exactly what they (there are none in San Antonio that I am aware of) are but I think they are kind of like the old variety stores: Winn's, Woolworths, etc. Can anyone confirm?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:46 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,163,916 times
It's a Conservancy... they don't want trashy plastic bags floating out of the WalMart parking lot onto their land. That pretty much explains it, and I don't blame them for wanting it that way. Your sales tax dollars are going to that park so do you want it to be trashed?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,398,835 times
I live in the area and aganist wal-mart, but part of me does not trust Chan.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 PM

431 posts, read 640,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I live in the area and aganist wal-mart, but part of me does not trust Chan.
you never heard to shady audio recordings?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM

3,130 posts, read 5,146,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Does Wal-Mart even own the land?
According to the article in the Express-News, it isn't clear whether Wal-Mart actually owns the land.

In a situation like this where a zoning change or other approvals would be required in order to develop the land to suit the buyer, it would not be unusual for the buyer to put the land "Under Contract", with the actual purchase being made contingent upon receiving the required approvals and re-zoning.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:38 PM

898 posts, read 2,270,645 times
I'm generally not a big fan of NIMBYs, but a part of me enjoys seeing people fight Wal-mart. They need a little resistance to keep them in check.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 AM

464 posts, read 658,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
The concept of "rich" in this country is in a strange flux in this country. Where people with big screens, cars, cell phones and are on government assistance are "poor" (with benefits adding up to 30K or more) and the guy who is a teacher with a wife who is a nurse and have a household icome of 110K and live in a 300K house are "rich."...it simply isnt true. That isnt "rich."
I love that quote above (underscored). Very true and quite sad. "Rich" can mean more than one's net worth. It can mean how well your quality of life is overall, having good health, having a low-stress lifestyle, being happy with who you are and what you have. Being comfortable with your spirituality. Not needing validation from everyone about who you are. Having self-esteem but not to the point of egotism and narcissism, which unfortunately is so rampant these days.

Deficits in any of the above mentioned areas can lead to feelings of inadequacy and cause a person to want to compensate for it in other areas which can have a detrimental effect on one's financial situation if no restraint is practiced. People wind up working in jobs they hate in order to support buying things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

I'm my opinion, being "wealthy" shouldn't only take into account only your financial liquidity.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM

3,729 posts, read 3,829,360 times
The people of that area are upper middle class at best. That said I'm glad that area is standing up and fighting to keep their "hood" nice. I wish more people in San Antonio would do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio