Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,571 times

Advertisements

There's easy ways for cities in Texas to enact land use ordinances that prohibit this sort of development (sprawl). Unfortunately, it's tough to permit certain types of sprawl and prohibit other types (it's technically called "spot zoning", and opens up the city to a lawsuit by landowners). I do think it's awesome when people who live in sprawl get all up-in-arms when someone else wants to build something similar.

It's a phenomenon that has an awesome acronym like NIMBY. We call these people BANANAs: "build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything".

One of the reasons I love my neighborhood is that I don't ever have to worry about a Wal-Mart (or anything mega-scaled with a mega-parking-lot) being built nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 PM

431 posts, read 765,637 times
well looks like chan is going to make us pay $30 million for the rezone weeeeeee

hope everyone is happy. i think wal-mart would of been a nice addition

Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 PM

170 posts, read 291,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
well looks like chan is going to make us pay $30 million for the rezone weeeeeee

I've been searching, and I have yet to find a source for that figure. Where did you get that from?

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-15-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Off-Topic - We are not the grammar/punctuation police here.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Where are you getting that from? Google News doesn't show anything new for this in a couple of days.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM

693 posts, read 1,501,931 times
Quote:

Are you getting $30 million info from this article?

Quote:
If Wal-Mart sold the 22-acre multifamily tract, it appears unlikely it would be able to recoup its cost. By policy, Wal-Mart officials would not discuss the purchase price, but Chan confirmed she'd been told the price was well above $30 million.
A North Side David vs. retail's Goliath - San Antonio Express-News

Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
Are you getting $30 million info from this article?
If it takes $30 million to get that land and add it to the park, that would be OK with me. There are much less useful things the city could spend $30 million on.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM

431 posts, read 765,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
If it takes $30 million to get that land and add it to the park, that would be OK with me. There are much less useful things the city could spend $30 million on.
thats half of the entire city's park budget!
wait til the southwide finds out

Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
thats half of the entire city's park budget!
wait til the southwide finds out
The City of San Antonio often relies on Community Development Block Grants to fund improvements to parks in low to moderate income areas, which will often be southside neighborhoods. Most northside census tracts are not going to be eligible for these funds.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Bottom line is that people may pay more not shopping at Walmart and they probably do before a Walmart opens nearby, particularly in smaller towns. If enough people care about saving small retail, it can survive. You just have to put your principles in action and shop at a small local retailer instead of the large superstore.
I think for many it's more about money than principles. If I can buy something cheaper at walmart, I have to, as I cannot afford to do otherwise.

It's my guess that the property has been zoned commercial for quite some time. Why wasn't this changed or at least brought up prior to or when the park was formed? Another example of poor planning.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
I heard earlier today they have decided to zone the area near Hardburger Park, thank god Walmart should get the hint they are not wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio