U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM

155 posts, read 244,348 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart is facing a zoning roadblock - San Antonio Express-News

Looks like Chan filed a request to rezone the property from C-2 to C-1, which would prevent any stores larger than 5000 sqft from being built there. I'm interested in seeing what Walmart's next move is at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM

413 posts, read 651,946 times
A few interesting questions will be answered soon.

Does Wal-Mart even own the land?

Is this just political posturing for Chan? Maybe a run for mayor is she keeps Wal-Mart out (temporarily)?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:29 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,301,881 times
I must be missing something important here because it really just sounds like a bunch of rich people don't want Walmart in their backyards. I don't understand how it would be incompatible with the park, there's a park next to the Walmart at 1604 and Culebra, and the Walmart on Bandera is next to one of the trailheads for the Leon Creek greenway.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badalchemist View Post
I'm interested in seeing what Walmart's next move is at this point.
Lawsuit, injunction or restraining order is my guess. Once that happens, it'll be up to the courts to decide. It's not a slam dunk that the city will win that court battle.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM

431 posts, read 641,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Lawsuit, injunction or restraining order is my guess. Once that happens, it'll be up to the courts to decide. It's not a slam dunk that the city will win that court battle.
and will cost use a few million to defend

Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,422 times
Does the world need another pos Wal-Mart???

Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 PM

155 posts, read 244,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I must be missing something important here because it really just sounds like a bunch of rich people don't want Walmart in their backyards. I don't understand how it would be incompatible with the park, there's a park next to the Walmart at 1604 and Culebra, and the Walmart on Bandera is next to one of the trailheads for the Leon Creek greenway.
I'm far from rich, and I don't live in that area. I still think it's a horrible place for a Walmart Supercenter.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM

413 posts, read 651,946 times
Quote:
Maybe the fine folks of Culebra should've fought harder. Did anyone there stand up and fight against it?

At any rate, the problem isn't even with the park in my eyes. It's the traffic. People can get to the Wal-Mart on Culebra via the highway. They don't block resident traffic. Well, at Wurzbach at Blanco, you'd have to drive 3 miles south from 1604, or 4 miles north from 410, or 5 miles east from I-10. How do you think that will affect those 12 miles of road, especially during rush hour on roads that weren't designed to handle that volume?

And what about it being 24hr? That means cars and semi-trailers all night long. Well, at Culebra, they're coming from the highway and not through a residential area like Blanco.

Do you see the difference yet?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,582,422 times
Years ago Helotes fought these jerks and won. There still is not a Wal-Mart in Helotes. It can be done. Sad thing is everything but Wal-Mart is now in Helotes.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,210,963 times
Quote:
What is your idea of Rich? Why is it not ok for any people to fight a wal-mart? It would honestly be an unusual place to build a Wal-mart.

Yeah, there are some wealthy people in Elm Creek and Invernes but that is a very small % of the population of the area. Even if we only take the areas outside of Warzbach (because inside is anything but rich) home prices ranging from 125K to 400K are hardly "rich people."

I am not trying to pick on you, I am honestly interested in what you think is "rich." The concept of "rich" in this country is in a strange flux in this country. Where people with big screens, cars, cell phones and are on government assistance are "poor" (with benefits adding up to 30K or more) and the guy who is a teacher with a wife who is a nurse and have a household icome of 110K and live in a 300K house are "rich."...it simply isnt true. That isnt "rich."

I understand why they dont want a Wal-Mart right there. The area has seen some very large development (the Alon) and that was not a problem but it "fits" the area. A Wal-mart would be very out of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio