U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM

357 posts, read 505,873 times

Advertisements

From mysa.com:

In the publication’s “Fittest & Fattest Cities in America” survey, another Texas city tops the tubby list: Houston. H-town is the most obese city in the nation with El Paso on the list at 7 and Dallas at 25. On the flip side of fat are the fittest cities with S.A. making the cut at 25; Austin came in at 12. In first place is Portland.

Props to SA!!!

Read more:
From fat to fit, we’ll drink to that | Hot Topics | a mySA.com blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:48 PM

3,319 posts, read 3,259,631 times
Have you seen how they calculate those "statistics"? They take into account the number of gyms, the number of healthy food restaurants and the number of walking trails/bike trails/stuff of that nature and then aggregate it somehow.

Maybe the only reason we got that is because the San Antonio River Pearl Brewery Reach opened & other stuff like that. We might not be any fitter, in reality. Just saying. It's a possibility. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble :/

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,330,749 times
Switched from Bud to Bud Light.... the results have paid off! Way to go, San Anton'!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Switched from Bud to Bud Light.... the results have paid off! Way to go, San Anton'!
YEAH! *guzzles beer in couch & then passes out*

Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 PM

875 posts, read 1,055,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Have you seen how they calculate those "statistics"? They take into account the number of gyms, the number of healthy food restaurants and the number of walking trails/bike trails/stuff of that nature and then aggregate it somehow.

Maybe the only reason we got that is because the San Antonio River Pearl Brewery Reach opened & other stuff like that. We might not be any fitter, in reality. Just saying. It's a possibility. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble :/
Very valid point, the amount of gyms, healthy food, and outdoor workout areas doesn't mean much if not many people use them regularly.

I'd rather go by actual obesity statistics, like those found here: Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: U.S. Obesity Trends | DNPAO | CDC

You can take a look at the county level - in 2008 25% of adults were obese in Bexar county. I guarantee it's a higher percentage now, as the trend across the nation has only been increasing for decades now.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 PM

501 posts, read 496,014 times
So from top 10 fattest to top 25 fittest. Good job SA!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
So from top 10 fattest to top 25 fittest. Good job SA!
What they don't tell you is that there are only 25 cities on the list

Just kidding, hahahaha!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM

501 posts, read 496,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

The list has always used the same criteria when calculating their rankings. Nothing's changed in the many years they've done the list.

Yet, when SA was a high ranker, EVERYONE used it as "proof" and used it to actualize their arguments.

Now that SA is a few years into their new fitness programs and doing a better job overall with their wellness education, plus the addition of new parks and many miles of bike and hike trails, this list is bunk and shouldn't be used for any type of "proof". Funny.

And please believe me when I say I am not directing that rant towards you. I just mean what I said in general.

I guarantee the same people who used the list as evidence will now call it out for being shoddy in its qualifications.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenwolf80 View Post
The list has always used the same criteria when calculating their rankings. Nothing's changed in the many years they've done the list.

Yet, when SA was a high ranker, EVERYONE used it as "proof" and used it to actualize their arguments.

Now that SA is a few years into their new fitness programs and doing a better job overall with their wellness education, plus the addition of new parks and many miles of bike and hike trails, this list is bunk and shouldn't be used for any type of "proof". Funny.

And please believe me when I say I am not directing that rant towards you. I just mean what I said in general.

I guarantee the same people who used the list as evidence will now call it out for being shoddy in its qualifications.
Hahahaha! That's a very good point!

Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 PM

4,331 posts, read 6,584,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From mysa.com:

In the publication’s “Fittest & Fattest Cities in America” survey, another Texas city tops the tubby list: Houston. H-town is the most obese city in the nation with El Paso on the list at 7 and Dallas at 25. On the flip side of fat are the fittest cities with S.A. making the cut at 25; Austin came in at 12. In first place is Portland.

Props to SA!!!

Read more:
From fat to fit, we’ll drink to that | Hot Topics | a mySA.com blog

Those lists may be somewhat correct but not completely. Portland must really pay publishers well, for all the good publicity this city gets. Believe me when I say Portland has its share of people, that are out of shape and overweight. I mean alot. I was shocked when I moved here, just how many overweight inactive people populate this area. People with a cigarette or a joint in their mouth. Its not all fit joggers and bikers with thier skin tight outfits out and about in PDX. Not by a long shot. I see the very unfit everyday and I think. Why do people think Portland is all fit people and such a perfect place. I guess from reading these rather misleading type lists. Lists that seem to be written by people, that really put out some not completely honest info.

I'm sure there are many people in Texas that are not overweight, and workout just like here in Portland or any other place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio