Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 10:16 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,599,452 times

Advertisements

So Elisa Chan has sent out an update saying the sister cities relationship with Wuxi and Suzhou will be signed in effect this Thursday.

How possible is it for "ordinary citizens" like us to get involved in sister city relations? I emailed them saying I'd be interested in hosting delegates in my home or volunteering my time or something like that, but no answer. I'd really like to host a visitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM

358 posts, read 573,408 times
The only good that comes out of the Sister City program is that "officials" get to soak the tax payers for some pretty nice overseas trips. Keep your eye out for who gets to go along when the next trip to a Sister City is announced.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:20 PM

169 posts, read 287,927 times
I don't think emailing Chan does anything except get your address on her newsletter. You may have better luck making a phone call.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Yes, I might do that. She seems to have meet and greet times. Maybe I'll show up and try to talk to her.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 PM

944 posts, read 2,031,940 times
What the hell is a sister city and why do we have them?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 63,061 times
Interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
So Elisa Chan has sent out an update saying the sister cities relationship with Wuxi and Suzhou will be signed in effect this Thursday.

How possible is it for "ordinary citizens" like us to get involved in sister city relations? I emailed them saying I'd be interested in hosting delegates in my home or volunteering my time or something like that, but no answer. I'd really like to host a visitor.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:35 PM

A lot of US cities set up sister city relations with a foreign counterpart, you can search google and find out what they are for San Antonio. I've always been intrigued by sister cities ever since I was 13 and I was in Illinois, we had a sister state relation with a province in China. I remember they sent a delegation to the Illinois State Fair and they gave me a souvenir and I thanked them in Chinese and that was so cool. When I was living in Austin, a puppet performance group from the Taiwan sister city came and did performances and it was awesome. So that's why I want to get involved, because they really open a lot of opportunities for everyone not just the council members and businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: