U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM

123 posts, read 227,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
Preschooler

what til this happens

I read about that. No common sense there. I would be furious if that were my child. Then again, one more reason why I'm so glad we homeschool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 01:09 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Oh certainly not! Just wondering why the funding wasn't there back in the 60's and 70's it was quite warm then also. Happy for our kids though. I'm just wondering why every school is SA was expanded (and/or totally rebuilt) in a frenzy a few years back. Only to have many close and used for alternative ..programs. School lunches don't seem to be a priority.
Ok...thanks for explaining. Cause man its hot here

Old 02-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Wow that is a horrible story. I wouldn't blame that mom for being irate

Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM

37,716 posts, read 55,375,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Ok, first of all i am not a health freak. but seeing what our kids are being fed in schools is horrendous. the meat if like hot dog meat, the bread is usually white and full of flour, milk? yuk. if you want your kid to have juice you have to pay for that. as i watch the kids eat this i also see the majority of the food go to the garbage. I am gonna try to get a video recorded on the downlow and post it. I would like to know where i can go to see what is in this food. how many calories, and who provides the food to see if there are political ties. i think someone can make a documentary about it. they remove soda from the school and call it going healthy. anyone really wonder what is going on with this. I believe it is a matter of who is providing the food to the schools. that company is usually chosen by contract and usually has to do with politics. it is not about the heath of the kids folks. Follow the money and see where the intrest lies.
Compared with random public schools around the country I don't think that San Antonio lunches are any better or worse than anywhere else.
The white bread seems to be replaced by healthier whole wheat bread, and I don't see anything wrong with milk, except someone is allergic to it.
I also see that most schools serve some fresh fruit like pear, orange or apple wedges, bananas or grapes ( those are easy to eat). They serve skim milk or 1% chocolate, and offer some juices too.

Would you please let us know what school you had in mind, so we can look at their menu??
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 PM

I can tell you at the schools I have been at there is an abundance of fruits/veggies and salads. The white bread went away along time ago. There are also plenty of other fruit drinks/juices and various milks.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:41 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeddie View Post
equal opportunity laws. if you do something at one school you have to do it at another.

even if the school or the parents paid for it themselves.
kind of silly because as we know some parents are more involved than others.

Really?

Our school is a mostly poor, inner city school, but with a small group of heavily involved and more affluent parents. A LOT happens in this school, many programs funded by these parent organizations. These are not replicated at other schools in the district. Unfortunately.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,076,981 times
In Illinois the school lunches were really good back in the 1980s. Even had homemade rolls, you could smell the bread baking about 11:30am or so. I never missed a lunch for four years in high school. Here, well, I can hardly wait to have my 10 year old post in here. He won't touch even one school lunch, ever, here in NEISD.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,926,551 times
When I was in public school-1950's-1965, lunch cost me 35 cents a day. It was decent but Wednesday was Mexican food day and you better run for the cafeteria because it was a sellout. There was little thrown away on any day. Breakfast was served at home as was supper. But that 35 cents in todays dollars would cost yer kid $10.50 due to inflation and costs from 1964. So if you are paying 2 bucks for yer kid to eat, quit complaining or Moderator cut: see comment fix his lunch. My mom did sometimes and it didn't kill her either. As far as Northside schools serving green tainted bread, Moderator cut: see comment you need to have a major sit down with him or maybe the parent needs to get a grip on reality. Everything is fresh, not months old, yeah, the other half works at NISD and the kids and especially the Moderator cut: see comment parents are being coddled. I for one, as a tax payer, am fed up with those that think the schools are suppose to raise yer kids. You had them, it's yer responsibility, not the schools. The school is there to provide an education, not raise kids or for that matter, feed them like a parent should.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM

210 posts, read 437,964 times
I'm more worried about pizza being classed as a vegetable than kids eating white bread.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
When I was in public school-1950's-1965, lunch cost me 35 cents a day. It was decent but Wednesday was Mexican food day and you better run for the cafeteria because it was a sellout. There was little thrown away on any day. Breakfast was served at home as was supper. But that 35 cents in todays dollars would cost yer kid $10.50 due to inflation and costs from 1964. So if you are paying 2 bucks for yer kid to eat, quit complaining or Moderator cut: see comment fix his lunch. My mom did sometimes and it didn't kill her either. As far as Northside schools serving green tainted bread, Moderator cut: see comment you need to have a major sit down with him or maybe the parent needs to get a grip on reality. Everything is fresh, not months old, yeah, the other half works at NISD and the kids and especially the Moderator cut: see comment parents are being coddled. I for one, as a tax payer, am fed up with those that think the schools are suppose to raise yer kids. You had them, it's yer responsibility, not the schools. The school is there to provide an education, not raise kids or for that matter, feed them like a parent should.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic
NISD has 111 schools. So just because everything is great at the one your spouse works at doesn't mean that it's perfect at all of them. I have seen the green hot dogs myself (they were inside corn breading). I haven't seen the moldy buns but DD has never seen mold on bread at home and came home describing it perfectly. She doesn't have any reason to lie...she wants to buy school lunch every day. Last week she had food poisoning and she was the only one in the family who got it. Six hours after her lunch, she was screaming and crying in the toilet to the point that I thought I'd have to take her to the hospital. She had to stay home the next day and she spent the day on the toilet. She still wants to buy school lunch

When I used to work retail, sometimes we'd get packages of moldy bread fresh off the bread truck. It can happen when the bread is packaged while it's still hot. We used to see moldy, unexpired beef jerky and chocolate with moths hatching from it too. I look at everything really carefully before I eat it, and I've taught my kids to do the same.

I have heard that our school lunches are a lot better than those served in some of the southern states, though.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: updated quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio