U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM

2,216 posts, read 3,985,611 times

Advertisements

Well said elnina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,419,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
. if you want your kid to have juice you have to pay for that. as i watch the kids eat this i also see the majority of the food go to the garbage. I am gonna try to get a video recorded on the downlow and post it.
1) Yes, if you want your child to have something, then, yes, you have to pay for it.

2) Recording a video in a school cafeteria is likely to get you in some trouble...think about it...

Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

581 posts, read 1,036,633 times
My parents made lunch for my brother and I until we went into high school. My dad didn't like what we were being served, so my mom and he would make us out lunches which were either leftovers from the night before, a sangwich. , or some other stuff my parents made up. We were occasionally allowed to eat the school food, like the Mexican food day! But we always went to school with a full belly of breakfast and the food our parents preferred us to eat. I know it may difficult for some but they some how managed to do this for nearly 12yrs. Now, my brother and SIL do this with their own children.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,072,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
My parents made lunch for my brother and I until we went into high school. My dad didn't like what we were being served, so my mom and he would make us out lunches which were either leftovers from the night before, a sangwich. , or some other stuff my parents made up. We were occasionally allowed to eat the school food, like the Mexican food day! But we always went to school with a full belly of breakfast and the food our parents preferred us to eat. I know it may difficult for some but they some how managed to do this for nearly 12yrs. Now, my brother and SIL do this with their own children.
I went to first grade at St. Mary Magdalens. We would put all our lunch bags out in the hall before we would enter the classroom. My mom put a star in crayon so I could find it. One time my lunch bag was gone. The only lunch bag left was full of broken sandwich cookies..like OREO!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:42 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,583,747 times

Jamie Oliver's TED Prize wish: Teach every child about food - YouTube
Watch this. You should also know that many districts around town, including my own, skirt around the majority of guidelines mandated from the local/state/federal entities. Case in point-Pizza; it is 2 servings of wheat bread. The crust and then top part where you hold it. Throw some pepperoni on it and you have met the guidelines. Also, in accordance to the law choices have to be made. Everyday kids are offered choices in what they want to eat. When your choices are yogurt, salad, or chili pie which one do you think kids will choose? They offer choices to appease the parents, officials, etc. but in actuality who are they fooling???? Your obese kid is who they just fooled!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM

581 posts, read 1,036,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I went to first grade at St. Mary Magdalens. We would put all our lunch bags out in the hall before we would enter the classroom. My mom put a star in crayon so I could find it. One time my lunch bag was gone. The only lunch bag left was full of broken sandwich cookies..like OREO!

Oh wow! That's crazy! I had my lunch bag stolen once and how does a Marine father amend that problem? Buy a lunch bag with a little loop on it and use a small suitcase lock to attach said lunch bag to my backpack using the loop and lock. I kept a key on a necklace I always wore and my Dad asked the teacher if she could hold another copy of the key as well. Come to find out that she thought it was hilarious.

This sort of action was a perfect fix but also, may or may not have, contributed to my higher than normal paranoia issues I currently deal with.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,308,551 times
After reading this thread, I sure am having a bad craving of those enchiladas they served on wed.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM

I bet if you saw the calories in those you would not want them. Or maybe you would who knows???

Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 AM

41 posts, read 99,250 times
Okay...guess I am freak. I ate school lunch nearly everyday of my existance and I LOVED IT! Chicken fried steak fingers and mashed potatos were the bomb. Oh and I really loved the watered down ranch dressing for the little bit of salad they fed you. In high school we had 6 different lines to choose from that served different cultural dishes or "fast" food. My daughter eats school lunch everyday, she asks at least once a week to take her lunch but I never figure what I can have her take to school is nearly as health as what the school will serve her hot. Hmmmm....thoughts to ponder.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM

Not sure what district you live in, but here is SA's largest district's info. I personally would not let my children eat anything coming out of a school cafeteria. To each his own I suppose.
Menus | Northside Independent School District (http://nisd.net/business/child-nutrition/menus - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio