U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 PM

31 posts, read 69,200 times

Advertisements

We are looking at buying a house in a gated community in Stone Oak. There is only one road/spot that allows access to the neighborhood. I have never lived in a gated community before. My concern is the gate breaking causing us to either not be able to leave the neighborhood or not be able to get to our house. Does anyone have any experience with this? And if so, what happens.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:56 PM

11,119 posts, read 20,219,434 times
When gates are broken, they're usually just stuck open.

Other people's opinions will differ, but personally I don't think gates keep people out, they just make it take longer to get home. When I used to deliver pizza, I never encountered a gate that I couldn't run.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,807 posts, read 33,073,871 times
Many neighborhoods have a battery backup on their gate opener. If the power goes out, the battery has enough power to automatically open the gate until power returns.

If a gate physically comes off of the track, a neighbor usually picks it up and slides it out of the way until the gate company rep comes and fixes it.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,075,328 times
What they said.

And yes, if you think that gate offers any form of security, you are badly mistaken. Unless there are physical security patrols reinforcing that barrier, it's easily defeated by simply piggybacking in.

About the only time it's a deterrent is when there is little traffic going into the neighborhood, but even then I have yet to have one stop me...

Cheers! M2

Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 PM

31 posts, read 69,200 times
Nope, not purposely looking for a gated community. The houses we are looking at keep appearing in gated communities.

I am actually leary of the gates. I did have a friend who lived in a gated apartment complex. It had two entrances. One entrance kept breaking - the gate would stay stuck closed. That is what got the worry into my head about getting trapped.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,807 posts, read 33,073,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And yes, if you think that gate offers any form of security, you are badly mistaken. Unless there are physical security patrols reinforcing that barrier, it's easily defeated by simply piggybacking in.
You're correct that it doesn't keep out the people determined to get in. What a gate does prevent is lookey-loos... people from outside who wander into the neighborhood with their vehicles, either by accident or because they're bored. My gated neighborhood has security cameras with 24-hour recording to discourage the subset of those people who enter with bad intentions.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM

898 posts, read 1,241,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrm View Post
We are looking at buying a house in a gated community in Stone Oak. There is only one road/spot that allows access to the neighborhood. I have never lived in a gated community before. My concern is the gate breaking causing us to either not be able to leave the neighborhood or not be able to get to our house. Does anyone have any experience with this? And if so, what happens.

Thanks!
I used to live in a gated community and was on the HOA board. There were a few occasions during the 12 years I lived there that we had bad enough storms where we lost power to the gate, and in that case we would have to crack open the box for the arm mechanism and manually move the belt to open the gate; and just leave it open until things were operational again.

So that was no big deal, but having gotten that out of the way I will tell you that I am glad I no longer live in a gated community. The reason why is because the gate eats up a lot of your HOA dues. I now live in a community without a gate, and we get a lot more for our money (basketball courts, swimming pool, playground, etc). The gate in my old neighborhood was a constant money drain, and as we were fond of telling residents, "the gate is not a security device" so there's really not much point to it.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM

1,354 posts, read 881,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
it's easily defeated by simply piggybacking in.
The gate in my community swings down very quickly; you're almost guaranteed to damage you car and/or the gate if you try to piggyback a resident. The gates are monitored 24/7 by video cameras, so if you break the gate you will receive a bill for the damage.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM

898 posts, read 1,241,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
The gates are monitored 24/7 by video cameras, so if you break the gate you will receive a bill for the damage.
It's good that you're monitoring your gates by video camera, because people do indeed damage the gates (which gets back to that constant drain of HOA dues that I mentioned earlier).

However I can tell you from past experience as a former HOA President that it is hard to get money out of people, even if you have clear cut evidence that they did it. My old neighborhood had to sue a major furniture company here in town over just such an issue. After the lawyer's fees I don't know if they even came out on it.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:01 AM

487 posts, read 977,131 times
I suggest you contact the SAPD about crime statistics in your area of choice. I am confident you will find that gated communities have far less crime reports. The numbers speak for themselves. I believe I still have the power point from the SO annual meeting where our SAPD safe officer covered the statistics. DM if you want me to forward it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or