Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:13 PM

245 posts, read 696,112 times

Advertisements

My wife told me she heard something on the radio this morning about some sign that is supposed to go up in San Antonio, which Julian Castro approved of, and is supposedly anti-illegal immigrant in nature. She didn't catch the whole story but just heard that local Latinos were in an uproar about. I just Googled a few things but couldn't find any news articles.

Anyone hear anything about this? Any validity to it? I think she heard this on a Spanish-speaking radio station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
I haven't heard... but is there something wrong with the mayor being opposed to illegal immigration? It's still illegal. 75% of my coworkers are Mexican Americans and they feel the same way....

Since it's going to end up being locked or moved probably since it's a hot topic... I think more people from south of the border should be able to gain citizenship legally. There's 2 sides to every story, neither are doing it right. Notice nobody wants to address the issue, but when a state exercises it's own rights.... the Federal govt. freaks out. Can't always have your cake and eat it too. One thing we can probably all agree on is the lack of addressing the real issues is a damn shame.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:25 PM

502 posts, read 934,299 times
Good! I'm all for immigrants but only if they pay there dues! The others not so much...hell illegals have more rights here than Americans do we need someone to put a stop to that!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM

210 posts, read 502,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
hell illegals have more rights here than Americans do
I'd love to see your proof of that.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Agreed, and why does everyone automatically assume that any "illegal" has to be Mexican?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Agreed, and why does everyone automatically assume that any "illegal" has to be Mexican?
It not necessarily is, but due to our approximate location near the Mexican border, what does everyone really think we are talking about? This is one of the reasons that our so called "leaders" won't address the issue - they don't want to offend potential "votes". People matter, they are more than votes! That's why it's important we don't sugar coat it.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,149 times
Just because Chili is further than Mexico, it doesn't stop a Chilean from getting here.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Just because Chili is further than Mexico, it doesn't stop a Chilean from getting here.
True. But when you're standin' next to an ant bed an' git stung, what do YOU think is most likely to be the culprit? It ain't racial - it's a pragmatic acknowledgement of probabilities.

Illegals having more rights? If I snuck into this state w/o becoming a resident and sent my kid to college, I'd have to pay out-of-state tuition. If I'm an illegal alien in this state, my children go to college paying in-state tuition.

Which do you think pays more in taxes? Why in the blue blazes are we so afraid to have this conversation??? An illegal alien has, by their presence, already broken the law. Sorry - at the point of initial contact with ANY law enforcement officer, they should be taken into custody and held for deportation. THAT is the only way you'll ever get a handle on the problem. "Catch and release" ain't gonna hack it.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I haven't heard... but is there something wrong with the mayor being opposed to illegal immigration? It's still illegal. 75% of my coworkers are Mexican Americans and they feel the same way...
If you are their supervisor or if whoever is the boss agrees with you and is vocal about it, then they are probably just nodding their head and going along. They most likely disagree but do not find it worth it to say so.

I really dislike it when my supervisors or coworkers bring up politics because it really is unfair and inconsiderate.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
MOD Note:

Okay folks, surprise, I'm going to allow this thread to stand on two conditions:

- That you refrain from overt racist comments, and
- That you self-moderate the discussion/debates, i.e., no personal attacks - remember to discuss the comments posted and not the individuals posting those coments!

You know the drill - if the bashing, hijacking, personal attacks start, this thread bites the dust.

Carry on!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio