Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 PM

70 posts, read 179,564 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am going to be down in Houston for work, so I am thinking of making it over to legendary Floore's for a show on Oct. 23 (drive doesn't seem too bad and I have never been over the San Antonio way).

I am just curious as to what the venue is like for a concert? Also, what is the area like? Is it easy to get a cab after the show, or is it out of the way and people are fighting over cabs that aren't so plentiful?

And if anyone could recommend a hotel (<$100/night) that has easy access to Floore's, that would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:10 PM

796 posts, read 3,039,132 times
I have never heard of this place, but I found this.

John T. Floore Country Store - Helotes TX Since 1942

It may not answer all of your questions, but maybe it's a start.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,390,984 times
I'm not sure about the cab situation, but Floore's is a great venue for a show. I'm not 100% sure about hotels either, but I know there are a few near UTSA, which isn't too far away. I'm sure you could call a cab and have them pick you up there.

Unfortunately, most people won't call one and will insist on driving.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 PM

I just got done skimming their website. I am interested in steak night on Wed. Has anyone gone for that? How is the food?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Helotes is a small town on the outskirts of San Antonio. Floore's Country Store is located on the main street which is off of a four-lane divided highway which goes to Bandera. There isn't one huge parking lot but plenty of places to park; but since there is really only one road running through the town I guess it gets mighty crowded after a show.

Helotes is a 3½-4 hour drive from Houston on a Saturday, it may be more during a weekday as rush hour traffic in Houston is horrible (especially if you can't use the HOV lanes, which require 2+ people in the vehicle). There are a ton of hotels in the area thanks to Six Flags and SeaWorld, check the areas around both. I know the new Drury Inn at 1604 and IH-10 (just across from Six Flags) starts at ~$92/night; but there are also several new hotels on 151 near SeaWorld. The new Holiday Inn that opened there looks nice as well. Both are about 15 minutes from Helotes, and are easy drives except during rush hour. There are a few near 1604 and 16 but I can't recall which chains they are, or how much they cost. Helotes itself has no hotels in it, it is just a small little town.

As for Floore's itself, it is an old honky-tonk, basically a large metal building with a huge dance floor inside and a bunch of wooden picnic tables to sit. If the concert is a large one, it will probably be held on the outdoor stage out back. I've been in there on a few occasions but never for a show; but I know they are popular and therefore pretty crowded. I don't think many people take taxis to the show, but I am sure you can arrange for one beforehand.

Helotes itself is a nice little town, very typical of what you see in rural Texas. We only live about five minutes away and go there often to eat at Bobby J's hamburgers or el Chaparal Tex-Mex. If you go to the show early and have the time, those are good options for a bite to eat!

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

By the way, are you a Canadian temporarily living in Texas, or have you moved here for good? I ask because I work with a Canadian military officer who is on assignment here, and he loves it here (but he's a really nice guy so I am sure he would love it anywhere).

Cheers! M2

Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermomof4girls View Post
I just got done skimming their website. I am interested in steak night on Wed. Has anyone gone for that? How is the food?
I work with a guy who takes his family there all the time for Steak Night. He gives it rave reviews, but it isn't cheap ($30 per person, I think).

We keep wanting to go, but with my autistic son I don't think all the noise would go over too well with him. Still, one of these days we may still make it and sit outside where it is quieter...

Cheers! M2

Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I work with a guy who takes his family there all the time for Steak Night. He gives it rave reviews, but it isn't cheap ($30 per person, I think).

We keep wanting to go, but with my autistic son I don't think all the noise would go over too well with him. Still, one of these days we may still make it and sit outside where it is quieter...

Cheers! M2
Their website says $18 + tax, I'm hoping it's not a typo. Maybe if you get there at or as close to 6 the noise won't be as bad.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 PM

I'll ask him again tomorrow and get you some better details, but since he goes quite often I would expect it is worth whatever the price!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 PM

70 posts, read 179,564 times
Wow, lots of responses already... thanks so much for all the info.

I would certainly prefer to cab and not worry about having a couple too many beers ... would rather just enjoy the night with no worries. It's supposidly a pretty neat place. This concert would be outside and will probably be very busy (judging from some pictures I have seen).

On their website it gives a cab number for "to and from" hotels, so I think I should be good. There are a couple hotels within 10-15 minutes it seems, so I am going to run with that. Hopefully its not too big a deal as I have to go back to Houston the following day to go to a music festival.

M2 - I actually live in Canada, but just happen to love it down in Texas (and I would love to move there at some point in my life). I usually go once or twice a year with a friend to tour around and watch concerts, golf, go to sporting events, etc... It's always a good time. Especially during crawfish season

Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Floore's is a neat place to see a show - I've seen Willie there, and REK, and I believe Kevin Fowler (I saw him countless times back in the early 2000s and can't remember everywhere I saw him!). I think I saw James McMurtry there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio