U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM

796 posts, read 1,616,184 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I was stopped today by a Castle Hills police officer. She said that I was going 61 on the access road off of 410 E and Blanco. The posted speed limit is 45. I honestly did not think I was speeding, but that's neither here nor there right now. I haven't gotten a ticket in well over 25 years and I have never gotten a speeding ticket in almost 30 years of driving. I'm considering hiring a traffic ticket attorney to make this go away. Any recommendations? Is it even worth it to hire an attorney?

I considered taking the driving course dismissal route, but since I'm a temporary resident of Texas (we had planned to move back to FL in June, but I have a really good job offer so we'll probably stay) I have a FL Drivers license, I don;t think I can do that option. I told the officer this and she said that if I decided to stay in TX permanently, I would need to get my TX DL. The ticket states that I need a valid TX DL to request the driving school dismissal, but it doesn't state that I had to have it at the time of the offense. I have a month before my court date. Can I go this route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,101,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
Long story short, I was stopped today by a Castle Hills police officer. She said that I was going 61 on the access road off of 410 E and Blanco. The posted speed limit is 45. I honestly did not think I was speeding, but that's neither here nor there right now. I haven't gotten a ticket in well over 25 years and I have never gotten a speeding ticket in almost 30 years of driving. I'm considering hiring a traffic ticket attorney to make this go away. Any recommendations? Is it even worth it to hire an attorney?

I considered taking the driving course dismissal route, but since I'm a temporary resident of Texas (we had planned to move back to FL in June, but I have a really good job offer so we'll probably stay) I have a FL Drivers license, I don;t think I can do that option. I told the officer this and she said that if I decided to stay in TX permanently, I would need to get my TX DL. The ticket states that I need a valid TX DL to request the driving school dismissal, but it doesn't state that I had to have it at the time of the offense. I have a month before my court date. Can I go this route?
A traffic attorney cannot make a ticket "go away," what they do is basically plea bargain with the court to get a suspended sentence, reduced fine, etc.

And be wary of them, many warrants are issued for drivers that fail to show up on their court date because they hired a lawyer and felt that was the end of it. These attorneys are notorious for not going to court until they have a sufficient number of cases to work, and sometimes that may not be until after your court date.

That said, I was able to take a defensive driving class with a FL DL; but I was active duty military at the time. Try going to court and see if you can request it, the worst they can say is no.

Plus, how long have you been living in Texas? There is no official status as a "temporary resident of Texas," if you are residing here you have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas Driver License unless you qualify for an exception (military, student, etc). If you got away with it, consider yourself lucky, hopefully no one will notice when you go to court.

Good luck! M2

Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM

796 posts, read 1,616,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
A traffic attorney cannot make a ticket "go away," what they do is basically plea bargain with the court to get a suspended sentence, reduced fine, etc.

And be wary of them, many warrants are issued for drivers that fail to show up on their court date because they hired a lawyer and felt that was the end of it. These attorneys are notorious for not going to court until they have a sufficient number of cases to work, and sometimes that may not be until after your court date.

That said, I was able to take a defensive driving class with a FL DL; but I was active duty military at the time. Try going to court and see if you can request it, the worst they can say is no.

Plus, how long have you been living in Texas? There is no official status as a "temporary resident of Texas," if you are residing here you have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas Driver License unless you qualify for an exception (military, student, etc). If you got away with it, consider yourself lucky, hopefully no one will notice when you go to court.

Good luck! M2
Thanks for your advice re: ticket attorneys. This ticket just bothers me! As far as the FL DL, I guess I've been lucky. I'm on a temporary job assignment but I've decided to stay here, so I'm in the process of getting my TX DL...I just wish I'd already had it before today! Ack!

Last edited by giz2000; 03-06-2012 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM

2,355 posts, read 5,403,673 times
I hear you same thing happened to me about 5 years ago, supposedly going 42 in a 30. I was not going that fast guess their radar guns are about 5mph more. I went to defensive driving to take care of the ticket.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM

155 posts, read 244,348 times
Go to the court website and try to get deferred adjudication from the judge. Explain your driving record, etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,176,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
M2
You dont know the right attorney.
I had my attorney take care of a speeding ticket a few years back. I dont know what he did, but my cop friend ran my plates/ID and he said there was no record of me ever being pulled over. That is what I call "Go Away".

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-07-2012 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: libel defamation w/o giving the other side

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,374,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badalchemist View Post
Go to the court website and try to get deferred adjudication from the judge. Explain your driving record, etc.
Since you have not been citied in such a long time, the judge or Justice of the Peace should allow deferred adjudication. A time period needs to pass before the charges are dropped, usually about 90 days. If you are not cited again within that time period, charges wil be dismissed on the original offense. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,101,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
You dont know the right attorney.
I had my attorney take care of a speeding ticket a few years back. I dont know what he did, but my cop friend ran my plates/ID and he said there was no record of me ever being pulled over. That is what I call "Go Away".

Moderator cut: see comment
Right, what I do know is that the SAPD conducts a huge warrant drive every year and the vast majority of individuals on "the list" were people who got traffic citations and went to lawyers who didn't do their jobs!

DM me your DL number and we'll see what I can find out about ya!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM

391 posts, read 586,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
I haven't gotten a ticket in well over 25 years and I have never gotten a speeding ticket in almost 30 years of driving.
My translation of this is... you mean you have not been caught and ticketed
by the traffic police in that period of time which is not necessarily the same
as having never committed a ticketable infraction during that time.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,667,663 times
If you have a FL license, you will not get any points from this. Just pay the fine and move on. It will not be on your record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio