Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Does it really need to be laid out for you? They were implying that the team was made up of illegals since they were all Hispanic. If that's not racial stereotyping, then I don't know what is.
I think that's a leap that the victims and you guys made. You don't know what's inside their head. That's stereotyping just as much as you are accusing me of.
Next time I see someone I think might have come from another country and I want to insult them, I'll start singing the national anthem. Think it will work?
It only works because the losers were already upset over having lost the game and already had hurt feelings.
If the two teams didn't know each other and met on the street and one of them was chanting USA. Would they still be insulted?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
It only works because the losers were already upset over having lost the game and already had hurt feelings.
Well, if that's how you want to defend blatant racism, that's your choice. I don't buy it. Maybe you're focusing too much on the reaction, rather than the action.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:05 PM

I would say if anything I'm focusing more on the action and that's where I have the issue.
Under any other context would the USA chant be considered racism?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Under any other context would the USA chant be considered racism?
Under any other context....It's not the chant, it's the context that it was used in at the end of THAT game. What does USA have to do with winning THAT basketball game... was it the olympics?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Well, if that's how you want to defend blatant racism, that's your choice. I don't buy it. Maybe you're focusing too much on the reaction, rather than the action.
Moderator cut: no personal attacks It's not racism at all. It's well Mexicans and white HIGH SCHOOL kids making fun of poor kids from a bad side of town. Call it what you want but race isn't the problem. Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-08-2012 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Moderator cut: no personal attacksIt's not racism at all. It's well Mexicans and white HIGH SCHOOL kids making fun of poor kids from a bad side of town. Call it what you want but race isn't the problem. Moderator cut: see comment
Moderator cut: see comment Explain to me what chanting "USA" has to do with what you just wrote.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
It's just more of people burying their heads in the sand and not wanting to deal with the reality of ethnic tensions. The problem will never be solved if you don't admit it's there. It is obvious for any halfway intelligent person that the USA chant was meant to be offensive. As was said before, this wasn't the Olympics. Because both schools are American, to insinuate that one of them winning over the other was a victory for America is offensive.

Yes, there is probably more classism than racism in Alamo Heights, but do people not think there is racism in the Hispanic community? Has anyone ever heard of colorism? It exists in almost every ethnic group with dark-skinned peoples from blacks to Latinos to Indians. In Mexico, the wealthy tend to be almost all Anglo while the impoverished tend to be mixed-race or indigenous.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,571 times
They are teenagers. I doubt they were chanting USA in honor of our country. They were chanting it towards a Mexican American team. Smell the coffee peeps.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM

502 posts, read 934,299 times
I was there and was sitting on Edison's side and let me tell you the things they were chanting I can't even post on here cause I may get put in timeout! Both schools are in the wrong but then again I think people need to stop being so soft and grow a pair! So what get over it....

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Even if it was intended to be offensive doesn't mean it should be taken that way.
Is like me chanting Texas Texas Texas and them being offended. Unless their loyalties lie elsewhere I don't understand why it's given a second thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio