U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 PM

6,999 posts, read 10,237,008 times

Advertisements

I think it's the complete opposite. If their loyalties didn't lie with the U.S., then they wouldn't be offended because those kids in the stands would have been speaking the truth. If you're a proud American and someone claims that you're not, how is that not offensive?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,603 times
They were saying USA USA, not You're not from the USA, USA

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
They were saying USA USA, not You're not from the USA, USA
It's implied. "You're not from the USA" doesn't make a good celebratory chant.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,179,516 times
Really do I need to pull out a box of tissue for the whiners on both sides of the issue. Everyone is so sensitive. Charles Bronson must be rolling in his grave

And thanks to the media for making San Antonio look like Selma Alabama in the 60's

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Listen to the full report.

"Some of the Alamo Heights students chanting were Hispanic themselves."

--- Clearly in a city that is 2/3 Hispanic, this is something that does not get talked about as much. It's not so much "racial" tension (since Hispanic is not a race), but class warfare. This is just another example of the small town mentality here in SA.
There are going to be two types of ethnic Mexicans (as well as other Hispanics) attending AH district schools. Those who are from working class backgrounds and most likely live in apartments and those who come from upper class families.

As stated by others those from working class families are not the most welcomed among the majority student population. I used to know a few people who attended their years ago including one who played football. Some transferred out. So this is nothing new.

I spoke to one parent of an elementary student recently and they reported ethnic tension between himself, some parents, and at least one teacher, during a parent function. It was just one minor incident, it was resolved, and people move on so unsure if that is representative of a greater pattern but I have a feeling those students from working class backgrounds attending AHHS are not exactly exuberant with school spirit over this.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 AM

This happened before to Lanier HS. Not only did Cedar Park chant "USA, USA," but they chanted other things that made it completely obvious they were being racist and not patriotic by implying that the Lanier players were illegal immigrants.

Quote:
They also chanted “Arizona, Arizona, Arizona,” a reference to the state that became ground zero for immigration reform last year when it passed a controversial immigration bill, and “This is not soccer, this is not soccer.” The latter is an apparent reference to the stereotype that Hispanics are better suited for soccer than basketball.
Lanier files complaint with UIL about Cedar Park students' ethnic taunting | kens5.com San Antonio

I, too, went to school with a girl who transferred out of AH. She was Hispanic, but her complaint wasn't that the school was racist; she said there was a lot of classism and pill popping.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM

905 posts, read 1,355,039 times
Default A message from Superintendent Dr. Brown, A.H.I.S.D.

Here is a letter to Alamo Heights parents released Wednesday regarding the Edison-Alamo Heights game incident:

Alamo Heights ISD letter to parents about Edison-Alamo Heights game incident

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-08-2012 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: link only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio