U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

19 posts, read 38,293 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data folks,
Please help me out.
I am from SA, but now live in Pittsburgh, PA.
I'm considering moving back, and would appreciate your ideas of possible neighborhoods or parts of town to look in.
I'm in search of a single-family house, with two or three bedrooms to rent for about $1k or perhaps a little more.
The catch is that I rely on public transportation, and while Via is an excellent system, I would also like to have some useful businesses in walking distance. Maybe an HEB, a Walgreens, and a restaurant or two would be nice.
I've lived in the Monte Vista area, and also near the intersection of Broadway and Sunset, and I am curious what living may be like over by the HEB in the Deco District.
I know there are lots of areas I'm not thinking of, but a far out suburban area is probably not going to work.
Again, the main concern is public transportation, something to walk to, and something that fits my budget. Safety, of course is a concern, as is the general state of the area, but I don't have to be in any area for school district concerns, or for work.
Please share any ideas you may have, as I moved away largely because I was having a hard time finding neighborhoods in SA where I had businesses to walk to, while being affordable and relatively safe.
As I write this I am in easy walking distance to a CVS, Walgreens, a RiteAid drug store, an organic grocer, and tons of places for coffee and food. I wish I could transport all of this back to sout Texas.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

486 posts, read 872,347 times
I think the Quarry Market area may fit your bill, but probably to find more options on your price point you need to look a little farther, perhaps back to Sunset and Broadway.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,386,728 times
I must agree the Quarry Market area would have just about everything you can dream of in a walkable area, but can not help but think the rent might be a little more than you are looking for if you want a single family home. Apartements, should work.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM

330 posts, read 502,875 times
How about Tobin Hill? We live here and walk more often than not. It's easy walking distance to downtown, Pearl, etc. Lots of neat places for food, coffee, music, shopping. It's still transitional, but I've never felt unsafe, and I'm a little lady who's usually walking with young kids.

There's a Walgreen's at Cypress and San Pedro and other corner store-type places for non-food incidentals, but for groceries, you'll need to ride the bus up McCullough or Broadway to HEB or Central Market. Alternatively, Pearl has a great farmer's market and there are a few smaller ones in the 'hood throughout the week, and Greenling delivery grocery plus amazon subscribe and save can help minimize your VIA grocery trips.

I lived in the Deco district and really liked it, but that was 17 years ago (yikes! time flies!). Maybe someone with more current knowledge can weigh in there.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM

816 posts, read 1,480,140 times
As a current resident in the Deco District...

Advantages:
1. You can walk to HEB, though it is lacking in many items (a lot of my neighbors still drive over to Central Market)
2. VIA has many routes (including the first Bus-Rapid-Transit line now under construction) leading from the area south to downtown, east along Hildebrand, or north to the Medical Center.
3. Very stable housing stock (at least west of Fredericksburg). The area has never really declined much (where houses were chopped up into apartments), and is still very much "middle-class". People still move into the neighborhood and renovate their homes.

Disadvantages:
1. Schools. Unfortunately the vast majority (at least 2/3 according to SAISD) of the residents send their kids to private schools. In my opinion, the school district has not done nearly enough to help with the revitalization of the area. The neighbors have fixed up their homes (and paid for it in the form of higher appraisals), but the district doesn't seem focused on the right things.
2. Commercial area along Fred. Road. While it has improved over the last 12 years I've lived here, it still does not offer much in the way of dining other than pizza and Tex-Mex. The Woodlawn Theater is trying to get more activity going on, but it is a slow process.

Overall the area is not as "hot" or "hip" as the Tobin Hill/Machke Park area near the Pearl, or like the Lavaca/King William area around Southtown. BUT, the important thing is that prices are reasonable and stable. Our SAPD officers say that the area is still very safe, and you see people enjoying a stroll all the time. We have our share of graffiti, but it is less than you see in many parts of suburbia. As I have said to many people, while the area may not be the current "hot" area, it is still improving, which cannot be said for a lot of the subdivisions outside of 410 (or even 1604) that are just 10 years old.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 AM

155 posts, read 245,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
I think the Quarry Market area may fit your bill, but probably to find more options on your price point you need to look a little farther, perhaps back to Sunset and Broadway.
The only grocery store in walking distance of Quarry Market is Whole Paycheck, and even that would be a PITA compared to living at Sunset and Broadway with that HEB just right there at the intersection.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 AM

581 posts, read 739,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badalchemist View Post
The only grocery store in walking distance of Quarry Market is Whole Paycheck, and even that would be a PITA compared to living at Sunset and Broadway with that HEB just right there at the intersection.

There's a HEB at Basse and Broadway

Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 AM

172 posts, read 202,302 times
I would look around Thousand oaks and Jones Maltsberger (North Central, just inside loop 1604), looks like it fits your bill exactly. They have bus stops along almost every street in the area, even through some neighborhoods. Within 1 mile of my house I have: CVS, Walgreens, HEB, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, Dollar Tree, Bill Millers, Pizza Italia, Valero, Sports Clips, Fantastic SAM's, Blockbuster, YMCA, Several Dry Cleaners, and McCallister Park. Rent for that type of a house should be right around what you are looking for and we are in a good neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM

330 posts, read 502,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
I would look around Thousand oaks and Jones Maltsberger (North Central, just inside loop 1604), looks like it fits your bill exactly. They have bus stops along almost every street in the area, even through some neighborhoods. Within 1 mile of my house I have: CVS, Walgreens, HEB, Sonic, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, Dollar Tree, Bill Millers, Pizza Italia, Valero, Sports Clips, Fantastic SAM's, Blockbuster, YMCA, Several Dry Cleaners, and McCallister Park. Rent for that type of a house should be right around what you are looking for and we are in a good neighborhood.
I grew up over that way and generally like the area, but I found it tough without a car. This may have changed, but it wasn't the greatest place to be a regular VIA rider. The 502 and 648 routes are black schedules that run every hour or so and end rather early. It's doable, but not fun.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 AM

19 posts, read 38,293 times
Default Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I did consider Thousand Oakes and JM, and will also look into Broadway and Sunset. Actually, maybe Terra Alta Rd or another one of those side streets closer to Nacogdoches. I like the idea of the Starbucks, HEB, Thundercloud, etc. right there at the intersection and Via routes to North Star, and downtown close by. It sure helps to get input from others when you're trying to figure something out. Again, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio