U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,324 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Moderator cut: see comment

If you want higher taxes to pay for more urban social programs move back to San Fransisco and leave San Antonio alone.
Moderator cut: Orphaned - post comments referred to have been removed

Moderator cut: bashing is not permitted

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-09-2012 at 02:16 PM..

 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,256 posts, read 1,753,799 times
Reputation: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeFlyDontBodaMe View Post
Massive tax breaks for any business that opens in an area deemed economically disadvantaged.

Also, the ISD's need to consolidate into one large ISD and then all monies generated are put into one pot and evenly distributed.
"Massive Tax Breaks" for a business that is in an economically disadvantaged area.

Think they are called "Empowerment Zones"---- Not going to research it, though. Person I know opened one such facility. Hired some of the people to "Empower" . Absenteeism was high; Friday attendance almost never. Graffiti covering building in AM. Reliable old workers do now want cars vandalized at new facility.

Great Society- find the Barbara Walters interview with Lady Bird Johnson. She said LBJ never thought the safety net would become a "Way of Life" rather than a short term springboard back into society.
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
 
10 posts, read 8,324 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
"Massive Tax Breaks" for a business that is in an economically disadvantaged area.

Think they are called "Empowerment Zones"---- Not going to research it, though. Person I know opened one such facility. Hired some of the people to "Empower" . Absenteeism was high; Friday attendance almost never. Graffiti covering building in AM. Reliable old workers do now want cars vandalized at new facility.
If what you say is true, then it most likely was the bosses fault for not providing proper training to the employees which led to a potentially unsafe and unhappy work environment which would explain the attendance rates. As for any vandalism that may have occurred, I find that inexcusable.

I do however feel that the reason people spray paint on buildings is because there is no outlet for their artistic desires. I think we as a city should provide designated buildings/floors/canvases for those who want to express themselves in spray paint art. Said buildings could be city owned and not in use currently and that would provide a good place for artists to express themselves and would also possibly jump start a new art district in the city. And that would be a great thing!
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
 
1,355 posts, read 885,533 times
Reputation: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeFlyDontBodaMe View Post
I am from San Francisco
Gee, I wonder how this post would be received on the San Francisco forum?

Quote:
Let's all pitch in and exchange ideas on how to make San Francisco a more conservative society. I would love to see San Francisco become more open to the conservative mentality and lifestyle.
When the San Franciscans respond negatively to my post I'll fire this back at them:
Quote:
First reply in this thread is a perfect example of how San Francisco is so closed minded and backwards.
But it'll never happen because I'm not the kind of person who would barge in and tell an entire city that they need to change because simply because they don't meet my personal ideals.
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Here
10,864 posts, read 11,906,106 times
Reputation: 5981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeFlyDontBodaMe View Post
If what you say is true, then it most likely was the bosses fault for not providing proper training to the employees which led to a potentially unsafe and unhappy work environment which would explain the attendance rates. As for any vandalism that may have occurred, I find that inexcusable.

I do however feel that the reason people spray paint on buildings is because there is no outlet for their artistic desires. I think we as a city should provide designated buildings/floors/canvases for those who want to express themselves in spray paint art. Said buildings could be city owned and not in use currently and that would provide a good place for artists to express themselves and would also possibly jump start a new art district in the city. And that would be a great thing!
I'm literally laughing right now.
 
Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
 
208 posts, read 337,440 times
Reputation: 182
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
 
2,097 posts, read 1,820,774 times
Reputation: 2197
Why I oppose liberalism in a nutshell. The main difference between the liberal and conservative schools of thought is the notion of individual freedoms. This is mentioned, because in reality, liberals are the polar opposite of open minded.

Conservatives generally believe in a let each person do as they wish, and use their abilities to better themselves to the extent possible.

Liberals believe that everything must be legislated because the sheep in flyover country are too ignorant to make their own decisions.

Conservatives think people should be free to practice their faith as they so desire, protection of freedom of religion as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Liberals believe in freedom from religion and ridicule anyone holding a religious belief.

I could go on, but it is Friday, and I would like to start the weekend with a positive state of mind.

Peace, love, and Gumbo, Have a good weekend all!
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 PM
 
155 posts, read 244,402 times
Reputation: 190
Wow, this thread got derailed into nastiness and personal attacks fast. To get back on topic, here are some things I wouldn't mind seeing. They aren't necessarily "liberal", but they are more common in what you would consider "liberal" cities:

- Better public transit that people with cars would actually want to use from time to time
- A lively downtown that is equally catered to locals as it is to tourists
- A plastic bag ban
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 PM
 
2,313 posts, read 3,179,516 times
Reputation: 1581
Move to Austin or start your own community where you want to make people conform to your ideals and have to live under them
 
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,303,976 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeFlyDontBodaMe View Post
Let's all pitch in and exchange ideas on how to make San Antonio a more liberal and open society. I would love to see San Antonio become more open to the liberal mentality and lifestyle.
Oh goodness, son. What professor got a hold of you and got you doing their dirty work? This ridiculous thread shows that you're obviously pretty out of touch with the way the real world operates, so there's really no point in getting into an argument, because you won't "get it".

If you can tell me what the end game of this "spread the wealth" crap is and how it works, I'll listen. If you can tell me how you can possibly create jobs by cracking down on business, create QUALITY health care by taking the incentive for making it better out of it, etc. and how it can be sustained (that's an important word), I'll listen.

If not, well, you're just another liberal who's got this great utopia in their head but no common sense.

We don't need more liberalism. We need common sense.

Sooner or later you're going to run out of other people's money.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-09-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top