U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 AM

89 posts, read 125,299 times

Advertisements

Hot or no hot, most kids love the parade. All i hear is people whine and cry about the heat, just take your child and watch she doesn't run all over the place and take a little umbrella she should be fine.
....or not, maybe like 1 of my three kids she hates it. just go! trail and error i guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

108 posts, read 209,779 times
I have not been to the parade since 1979 but If you have kids I am sure they will love it. Some people like to be in shaded areas since the weather in April is a little unpredictable. Most people show up very earlier to avoid parking hassles and bothering people when you show up late as they are getting comfortable. I am glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. The show us your shoes thing was because when the duchesses of this or that would wear those long gowns people wanted to know If they were wearing dress shoes or tennis shoes, people want to interact to keep from passing out from boredom.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM

467 posts, read 910,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Whaaat?? No way....??
Yup,..here's the story....it's in todays newspaper,..

City looks to make Fiesta parades smoke-free | News - Home

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,890 times
I'm more excited about the trash and recycling people. We have always taken a bag for trash and one for recycling and just bring them home with us. I am horrified every year about the fact that we're the only ones picking up after ourselves. What, were you raised in a barn?!?

Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,070,386 times
I have been to these parades most of my life. I set up chairs when I was a boy scout. We got the chairs from all the area schools. The Schools made money selling tickets. I never got a cent but I remember a hamburger from TUNIES on the corner of San Pedro and Hildebrand. It was a lot of fun. Nothing like the big parades on Thanksgiving. Anybody could be in this parade. George Gervin, David Robinson, Scratch man, Mo Bandy. Anybody. I think the "Show me your shoes" thing is cool. San Antonio all the way.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:06 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,318,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
I have to agree... I would only take my kids to the night parade... It's just to dang hot for the day parade and kids get restless pretty quick... My dad used to own a Paint and Body shop at the corner of Broadway and Pearl Parkway and we would watch from there, where we BBQ'd all day and had our own private, clean bathrooms... When I had my oldest daughter we took her for the first time when she was 3 and she had no real interest... The first couple of bands and floats she liked, but after that it got too hot and she wanted to be inside the body shop, in the shade, playing with the other kids...

We took her to the night parade when she was older, about 6, and she liked that better, as she liked the lights and how the bands were lit up...

Good Luck to you all... We have not been to the parades since my dad sold his shop, it's just not the same to us anymore... That and I LOATHE the "Show us your shoes" thing... I refuse to sit there for hours as people scream that over and over...
My dad had a shop downtown, too. Some of my fondest memories as a child was having a front row seat at the day and night parades. I agree with you and "show us your shoes"! And the new fad of the air horns...obnoxious I tell ya.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
My dad had a shop downtown, too. Some of my fondest memories as a child was having a front row seat at the day and night parades. I agree with you and "show us your shoes"! And the new fad of the air horns...obnoxious I tell ya.
Buffy... Weren't those parade years the very best ever??? I honestly don't know that I can go to another parade at this point... I mean, we had access to free, delicious food all day long, party guests that we invited, hence we liked them and wanted to spend time with them (lol), clean/private bathrooms, secure parking, and the best seats on the whole parade route... We had our chairs in pickup trucks and on flat bed trucks so we sat above the crowd... Some of us would even go up on the rooftop of the body shop and watch from up there... OMGosh, I cherish those memories!!!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Buffy... Weren't those parade years the very best ever??? I honestly don't know that I can go to another parade at this point... I mean, we had access to free, delicious food all day long, party guests that we invited, hence we liked them and wanted to spend time with them (lol), clean/private bathrooms, secure parking, and the best seats on the whole parade route... We had our chairs in pickup trucks and on flat bed trucks so we sat above the crowd... Some of us would even go up on the rooftop of the body shop and watch from up there... OMGosh, I cherish those memories!!!
I even went to NIOSA as a (gasp!) child! With my parents, of course. Now I discourage anyone from bringing their kid to that event.

The funny thing is, NIOSA hasn't changed in 30 years. Same set-up, same food, even the same tired band playing "Brown Eyed Girl" in the Americana Pavillian!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 PM

Remember, when it cost $1 to park downtown for Fiesta?

Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
I even went to NIOSA as a (gasp!) child! With my parents, of course. Now I discourage anyone from bringing their kid to that event.

The funny thing is, NIOSA hasn't changed in 30 years. Same set-up, same food, even the same tired band playing "Brown Eyed Girl" in the Americana Pavillian!
It's just gotten more crowded! No way I'd take a kid to NIOSA, not even as soon as the gates open - I don't know how you'd keep track of a kid. My husband and I can barely keep track of each other at NIOSA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or