U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,545,588 times

Advertisements

Bike shops would also know about / be able to refer you to used bikes in their shops or others persons may be selling in the community. You can get a great bike at a reasonable price if you go used. I second the helmet suggestion with small fender and lights, but add a florescent vest and gloves. What about panniers instead of the backpack? The summer sweat factor is enormous. There's one bike shop I can support, having recently gone there, though there are a number of others, as has also been mentioned:

Blue Star Bicycling Company in San Antonio Texas (http://www.bluestarbrewing.com/bikes/ - broken link)

Happy riding, be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 AM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Thanks for your post and wish it would let me rep. Did not know I needed two locks but with a quick release front wheel it makes sense. Off to buy more locks!
You should also run the cable lock through the seat rails, if possible. I've known people who had their seat stolen before.

We use the U lock to lock the frame to the bike rack, then a cable lock through both wheels, seat rail and once around the bike rack...my kids used to complain about having to lock it up that much, but now it's become habit.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 AM

11,798 posts, read 21,922,010 times
The wind direction and speed make almost as much difference as hills do on a bicycle. I'd certainly recommend a bike with more than one gearing. That being said, IMO many bikes go completely overboard. No one really needs 21 different "speeds" IMO. I have a 10-speed and seldom use more than 3 or 4 of them.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 AM

55,486 posts, read 74,383,428 times
buy a mountain bike or hybrid if u r guna buy a heavy use bike u r guna warp the rim pdq if u get a racer, assuming u got potholes like we do.
also buy a high end bike used, go for good frame.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM

164 posts, read 272,271 times
Thanks for all the input everyone

Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM

334 posts, read 795,659 times
I wouldn't buy the fixed gear, either (I like a little flexibility), but the messenger-type bikes are really popular, and a lot of people really like them, so what do I know?

I ride a Bianchi Milano with the three-speed internal hub. I have one gear for climbing, one for cruising, and one for downhill, which for me is a good compromise. I really value the chainguard and fenders, so I don't get crud on my clothes (when your commute is just a few miles, sometimes you just want to jump on and go, without having to bring a change of clothes).

Old 03-16-2012, 04:19 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
I wouldn't buy the fixed gear, either (I like a little flexibility), but the messenger-type bikes are really popular, and a lot of people really like them, so what do I know?

I ride a Bianchi Milano with the three-speed internal hub. I have one gear for climbing, one for cruising, and one for downhill, which for me is a good compromise. I really value the chainguard and fenders, so I don't get crud on my clothes (when your commute is just a few miles, sometimes you just want to jump on and go, without having to bring a change of clothes).
That's a really good point about the chainguard.

You can buy velcro straps to secure your pants legs so they don't get caught in the chain, if you opt for a bike without a chainguard. My daughter has got her jeans chewed up by the bike a few times on the way to school, she doesn't like the velcro strap idea though so she just rolls her right pants leg up to her knee and looks silly on the way

Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You should also run the cable lock through the seat rails, if possible. I've known people who had their seat stolen before.

We use the U lock to lock the frame to the bike rack, then a cable lock through both wheels, seat rail and once around the bike rack...my kids used to complain about having to lock it up that much, but now it's become habit.
Oh, by any chance do you have a graphic illustration? I just want to get the cable lock right. Also what size of cable lock do you use?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM

164 posts, read 272,271 times
any one know of a shop that sells SE draft bikes?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 PM

581 posts, read 1,035,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
any one know of a shop that sells SE draft bikes?

I believe Bike City and San Antonio Performance Bicycle both carry the SE line but I don't know of the specific types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or