U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 AM

1,052 posts, read 816,971 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned

I am still debating on whether or not to call Castro's office and voice my concerns about the message this sends the Irish in this community.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-16-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,030,290 times
They sure have money to change street names to people not even from San Antonio and have no direct ties to the city.

Lets not forget all the CPS money wasted....that is your tax dollars.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:04 AM

550 posts, read 556,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
They sure have money to change street names to people not even from San Antonio and have no direct ties to the city.
Well said. Most of the San Antonio hispanics that I know don't understand why they changed Durango to Cesar Chavez; they all tell me, "He didn't do anything for us, that's a California thing.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post

I am still debating on whether or not to call Castro's office and voice my concerns about the message this sends the Irish in this community.
Good idea, I think I'll do that.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 AM

Mayor Julián Castro: Official City of San Antonio Website

Scroll down and all the contact information is there. I am letting my disgust subside before I call over there. Wouldn't want that Irish temper to come out

Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM

208 posts, read 173,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Mayor Julián Castro: Official City of San Antonio Website
Wouldn't want that Irish temper to come out
you'd have to finish the irish trifecta then :
  1. unemployed
  2. drunk
  3. pissed off

Old 03-16-2012, 02:31 PM

333 posts, read 496,394 times
I never really understood parades. I'm just not into marching bands or being waved to by beauty pageant queens and minor city functionaries.

Fairs and festivals, on the other hand, especially if they're serving food and beer, are just my thing. And I don't think I'm in the minority in my opinions on parades and fairs.

So yeah, totally unmourned by me, despite my having significant Irish heritage.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfil View Post
you'd have to finish the irish trifecta then :
  1. unemployed
  2. drunk
  3. pissed off
Well...I am 2 out of 3!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Murphy's St. Patrick's Day River Parade & Festival - The Official Website of The San Antonio River Walk

Hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. Lineup looks pretty solid. Slainte San Antonio

Old 03-16-2012, 11:31 PM

502 posts, read 435,160 times
I never went nor am I Irish, but seeing how the city can just single out one group pisses me off! The city is corrupt on all levels! They do this all the time, if they can't get what they want from you they will try some bs to get you out or give in!

Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 AM

208 posts, read 173,071 times
Good Morning St. Pat !!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/wholesalephil/stpats2012003.jpg (broken link)
(for the record: kitchen entrance to my dining room)

for the record part II (vs. 1-9) :
1. St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, although he was born in Britain, around 385AD. His parents Calpurnius and Conchessa were Roman citizens living in either Scotland or Wales, according to different versions of his story.
2. As a boy of 14 he was captured and taken to Ireland where he spent six years in slavery herding sheep. He returned to Ireland in his 30s as a missionary among the Celtic pagans.
3. Legend has it that he used the native shamrock as a symbol of the holy trinity when preaching and brought the Latin alphabet to Ireland.
4. Miracles attributed to him include the driving of serpents out of Ireland. However, evidence suggests post-glacial Ireland never had any snakes in the first place.
5. Wearing green, eating green food and even drinking green beer, is said to commemorate St Patrick's use of the shamrock - although blue was the original colour of his vestments.
6. St Patrick was said to have proclaimed that everyone should have a drop of the "hard stuff" on his feast day after chastising an innkeeper who served a short measure of whiskey. In the custom known as "drowning the shamrock", the shamrock that has been worn on a lapel or hat is put in the last drink of the evening.
7. Popular Irish toasts on St Patrick's Day, include: may the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends beneath it never fall out.
8. St. Patrick's Day was first celebrated in America in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1737.Around 34 million modern Americans claim Irish ancestry.*
9. It is believed that St Patrick died on March 17 in 461AD. It is a national holiday in Ireland, and on the island of Montserrat in the Caribbean, which was founded by Irish refugees. It is a bank holiday in Northern Ireland and a provincial holiday in the Canadian province of Newfoundland.

*so ride my kelly green shillelagh, castro .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio