U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:43 AM

26 posts, read 58,091 times

Advertisements

Come July my husband and are are planning on moving our family to San Antonio, New Jersey is drowning everyone and for the sake of our children and hopefully a better life this is the direction we are choosing. I do have family there and a home to move into permanently or temporary however we choose, my husband has over 20 years experience in heating and AC as well as sheet metal fabrication and hvac co he has spoken to are ready to hire him. I'm looking for any advice from anyone who has made a big move as well as any advise on general info of our hopeful new life.... Thanks for any advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM

852 posts, read 925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvier38 View Post
Come July my husband and are are planning on moving our family to San Antonio, New Jersey is drowning everyone and for the sake of our children and hopefully a better life this is the direction we are choosing. I do have family there and a home to move into permanently or temporary however we choose, my husband has over 20 years experience in heating and AC as well as sheet metal fabrication and hvac co he has spoken to are ready to hire him. I'm looking for any advice from anyone who has made a big move as well as any advise on general info of our hopeful new life.... Thanks for any advise!

Congratulations and welcome to San Antonio!!!!! Prepare for a bit of a culture shock but I think in a good way. San Antonio is a much slower pace than you are probably used to in NJ but I find the folks to be much friendlier. Summers are hot but winters are typically pretty mild. What part of town are you moving into??? What part of NJ are you moving from???

Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 AM

282 posts, read 410,109 times
Welcome to Texas! I made a big move here from Chicago last summer so let me tell you that it gets hot. But as long as you have AC, you'll be fine. SA was definitely different for me but I got used to it fairly quick and am pretty happy with my decision to move here. People are friendly, lots to do for families, and traffic is a breeze (but there is trouble spots). I'm sure if you and your family come down with an open mind, you all will enjoy it here Again welcome to San Antonio!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM

We are moving from Bergen county, nj and going to be in the 78250 zip code which I understand is northwest San Antonio ~ having family there is very helpful too. We are looking forward to a slower pace~we are fine with the heat of summer and happy to leave behind the cold and snowy winters (although this year was very mild lol) with my husband being in air conditioning the heat is welcome in a work perspective ~

Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM

852 posts, read 925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvier38 View Post
We are moving from Bergen county, nj and going to be in the 78250 zip code which I understand is northwest San Antonio ~ having family there is very helpful too. We are looking forward to a slower pace~we are fine with the heat of summer and happy to leave behind the cold and snowy winters (although this year was very mild lol) with my husband being in air conditioning the heat is welcome in a work perspective ~

You aren't going to be too far from me (I'm in 78253). You are close to some great shopping and restaurants. What kind of info are you looking for?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM

311 posts, read 745,006 times
Hello! I live in the "50" & we really like it here! I would imagine that an experienced AC worker will stay quite busy here. We lived in Ocean Co. NJ for 5 yrs. before making our move to SA & have enjoyed the change.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,107,503 times
We used to live in the "50," but moved out of the country for a few years and fell back into the "54."

Having been to NJ quite a few times, I think you'll like it down here but it will require an adjustment, especially when it comes to climate. I hope you like hot weather!

Otherwise, comparatively Texas is a "free" state where people still believe in the Constitution. SA has a predominantly Hispanic heritage but you can also find evidence of Germans, Czechs and other immigrants. It is a place rich in history with lots to see and do. You probably already know about the Alamo and our Riverwalk, but we are on the edge of the Texas Hill Country so it is easy for anyone on the NW side of town (where 78250 is) to be in some of the most gorgeous landscapes within a half hour.

The downsides are we do have long, dry and very hot summers. Drivers here are a bit erratic but compared to Jersey they might seem tranquil. The construction of roadways has not kept up with the rapid expansion of the city, so expect rush hour to add time to your commute.

Otherwise, it's a great place for families. We were stationed here for three years before going overseas, and when the time came to choose a place to settle down (I was retiring from the military), both my wife and I had SA as our #1 choice. Seven years later, we're still very happy with that decision.

Good luck, and we look forward to see you in SA!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM

The more I read the more I can't wait until July, my kids are excited too (13 year old girl and 8 year old boy) hopefully the transition to new kids and friends will be easy, luckily they're both very sociable. Any information on must dos for our kids ~ my 13 year old is big into horseback riding so any info on trail riding and maybe lessons as she currently does barrel racing. My son is all about tackle football and wrestling lol ~ typical 8 year old! Thanks to all and any input I really appreciate it I can already feel the friendly atmosphere

Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,545,927 times
Bergen County to TX. Between both locales I made it to CA, MN, and IN. In light of your questions, consider 40 days of hot, humid weather over 100 degrees, versus the 10 days that would be typical in NJ. You will enjoy the roads. The malls are open Sundays. Many people are down-home nice, though the Yankee accent did get in the way for me on a few occasions.

Having said that, he's got ready work, kids got school, and while I don't think I otherwise read about it, what will you do, Ma'am? Are you seeking work or other activities for yourself?

Old 03-21-2012, 07:44 PM

I can deal with 40 days of heat opposed to months of cold and snow! As for work for myself I may go work at my cousins friends bar in the area, likely the day /corporate shift. We also owned a deli up here and are considering looking into opening a "ny" style deli ~ but only after looking into and speaking to locals to see if it could be successful ~ I've done a blog on that topic some time ago and many stated there wasn't any there and would be a welcome sight (most of those people though were originally from the north east) feel free to weigh in on your opinions on a real deli with amazing italian food lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or