U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,720,993 times

Advertisements

Just as the title says...want to hear points of view about the security of the US...are we safer than before?

Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 AM

348 posts, read 1,426,893 times
Hi,

If I were to judge from the title of the thread you are asking for "WHERE WERE YOU?" not the politically charged question "Are we safer than before?"

First question: I was getting ready for school where I was studying Advanced Water Treatment. I was shocked. Did not go to school that day since I figured that we were at war.

6 years later, I am in Baghdad and have been here for 25 months so I don't know the answer, I have been cut off from the world view of America and I only have my own little world view. Work 12 -14 hours a day 7 days a week. Run to the bunkers so I do not get killed several times a day. Do my job, stay alive. Mortars and rockets rain down on my base so often it is referred to as a "Mortar Magnet". Do I feel safe? Well, let's just say that I miss being able to walk anywhere without having to know where the closest bunker is.

Are we making a difference?

I like to think so.

crazedchef
Still in Baghdad.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:18 AM

10,320 posts, read 9,369,968 times
Same as the old question of where we were when President Kennedy was assassinated....one of those dates in history that we will always remember our whereabouts at the time.

I was at work.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 AM

734 posts, read 2,737,574 times
I was running late to work, lived in Arizona. I had a faculty meeting at my school. Listening to the radio I only got a strange idea of what had happened, but wasn't quite sure. I checked the web as soon as I got there, and called hubby. He was like "Are you serious?" I skimmed the articles for quick info and dashed into the meeting. Everyone was dazed at the meeting, several missing. One of the missing was a woman who's daughter lived in NYC while going to college. The principal just told us as much as he knew, what we should do with the kids and we never talked about the things we had planned to that day in the meeting.

I did teach that day, but every class the first 15 minutes were the kids getting to talk about it and ask questions. We checked the Internet often for news. My co-worker was so mad that we didn't have cable in the classrooms to watch, but I don't think the kids needed that. They got plenty of it over the next few weeks when that was all that was on the television.

One kid had gone there just weeks before for summer break. He said he was wearing the same shoes - he had stood at the top wearing the same shoes he was wearing that day. It really seemed to affect him.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 AM

781 posts, read 3,536,121 times
Just got home from taking the kids to school and hubby was watching the TV stunned. Needless to say we both just sat there mesmorized. It was a rough day as I had family at the time living in New York and I just wanted to make sure they were okay.

I agree with the previous poster....I was much too young when Kennedy was shot but it is the same thing....our generation will always remember where we were.

My hubby and I went to New York Christmas 05 just to enjoy the season and see some shows. We also went to the site.....words can't describe the feeling there....there is an extreme feeling of sorrow but at the same time an extreme sense of pride in the human spirit that can overcome such horror.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,737,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hi,

6 years later, I am in Baghdad and have been here for 25 months so I don't know the answer, I have been cut off from the world view of America and I only have my own little world view. Work 12 -14 hours a day 7 days a week. Run to the bunkers so I do not get killed several times a day. Do my job, stay alive. Mortars and rockets rain down on my base so often it is referred to as a "Mortar Magnet". Do I feel safe? Well, let's just say that I miss being able to walk anywhere without having to know where the closest bunker is.

I like to think so.

crazedchef
Still in Baghdad.
CC....you are! Thank you for being there for us......here or there. XO!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:53 AM

470 posts, read 1,792,201 times
I worked in a Federal Building just two blocks away. The memories from all senses are just as vivid today as they were on that day. It is something I'll never forget. At one point, I thought my building was on fire. The emergency exits were blocked by smoke. We were trapped. I called my wife to say, "I love you" for the last time. But I guess it wasn't my destiny to be one of the names on the wall.

From rooftop of my building:

Lobby

Soldiers in lobby

Rooftop after they bled and fell

Few days later...

Are we safer? Unless we are willing to give up more of our freedoms, we will never be 100% safe. All we can do is try.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,357,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hi,

If I were to judge from the title of the thread you are asking for "WHERE WERE YOU?" not the politically charged question "Are we safer than before?"

First question: I was getting ready for school where I was studying Advanced Water Treatment. I was shocked. Did not go to school that day since I figured that we were at war.

I like to think so.

crazedchef
Still in Baghdad.

GOD BLESS YOU, CC.... !!!!!!!!!!
Please know that my prayers continue for ALL of our troops. Thank you for sharing some specific info with us here. Now I have one more specific name (well, a nickname, but God knows who you are!!) to add to my prayers.....

Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM

781 posts, read 3,536,121 times
Amen to that POPS.....We own a huge debt of gratitude to all our troops....in the past, present and future.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,357,699 times
I was at work. I am a claims adjuster, and I had called an attorney's office, hoping to FINALLY successfuly negotiate a settlement on an [ugly] claim.

The receptionist immediately put me on hold. She came back in briefly and said 'okay, what......?' and, back on hold I went. She came back in more quickly this time, apologizing and informing me that a plane had just flown into the WTC.
My chin dropped to my desk and I stuttered some half response; by the time I was finally able to ask, "Seriously?', I had already heard her nearly SHOUT, and she informed me another plane had struck the second tower.
One of the managers happened to walk by about that time and I nearly shouted at him, "Planes have been flown into the WTC, two of them."
He laughed, and he said, 'Naw, come on.' At that point I began reciting all the information this woman was feeding to me. He (Dennis, the manager) "came to believe".

Initially, I had thought she was perhaps watching some re-runs of the prior bombing incident.

From that phone call, we got one of the major news networks up on the internet, and a lot of us went downstairs to the cafeteria where they had a big screen TV.....

Well, life changed from there on out... I'm sure for all of us....
it will haunt us forever.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or