Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 PM

391 posts, read 688,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
Not to be rude, but are you serious?
Such a mode of transportation is very common in India.

Check the 4th picture at the link below:

Country at the crossroads: Michelle Yeoh in India
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
It sure is, but that:
http://www.designvsart.com/blog/wp-c...ly_scooter.jpg
is not allowed in the US.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree that driving moped is not very safe here in Texas, but I don't agree that they are slow 2-wheel vehicles. Some scooters can cruise at 60 mph, or even over 100 mph. Those will be classified as motorcycles.
By Texas law, a moped is defined as "a motor driven cycle whose speed attainable in one mile is not more than 30 miles per hour and that is equipped with a motor that produces not more than two-brake horsepower. If an internal combustion engine is used, the piston displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters and the power drive system may not require the operator to shift gears."

Scooters are completely different animals. They can have motors of up to 700cc, and require a motorcycle license to operate. Most can also carry one passenger.

I've known a few scooter riders in SA, I would still say they are somewhat dangerous due to their typically-smaller-than-motorcycle-sized wheels. They also usually have automatic transmissions, which means they are slower to accelerate than regular motorcycles which require shifting; and less powerful engines. That means they are less capable to accelerate from danger than a motorcycle.

I've owned a scooter in the past, while living in a small college town in Florida. I was more of a dare devil back then, plus I was single with few responsibilities other than school. I still ride motorcycles on occasion, but would never recommend one for commuting on a regular basis in San Antonio...

Cheers! M2

Old 03-23-2012, 07:52 AM

413 posts, read 741,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephV55 View Post
Such a mode of transportation is very common in India.

Check the 4th picture at the link below:

Country at the crossroads: Michelle Yeoh in India
That's my point. This isn't India. I'm sure this guy has been here long enough to realize that scooters don't exist in most American cities for a very good reason. They're dangerous, slow, can't handle, owners don't wear gear...

We have safety standards here (helmets, etc.) We ride on the inside of trains unlike in India. We also have SUVs that will flattening this guy and his whole family on a scooter.

Regardless, a scooter is just a horrible idea. Leaving aside the safety factor, by the time you buy a scooter, safety clothing and a helmet for the whole family, you might as well buy a cheap car.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM

22 posts, read 56,776 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I got temporary license i.e learner's permit (by attending online test at DPS office, San Antonio).

My doubt is whether I can buy a car having only this temporary license OR I need to wait till I get the license (which I will be getting after passing the drive test).

My idea is to buy a car now, having practice for some days, attend the drive test and get the permanent license. Is it OK to do so here in USA?

Because I read as follows.

"I believe when you transfer the title, even for a private party sale, you have to present proof of insurance. In order to get car insurance, you have to have a license."......

Pls let me confirm.

Last edited by jayakkumar5157; 04-15-2012 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: content change

Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
You can pay a driving school to use their car to take the test in. For example: Texas Driving School [San Antonio] They have an option on that page for experienced adult driver, it looks like you would pay for a two hour class which would be $110. I'm not sure if taking the driving test in their car is included or if that would be extra. They're not the only driving school that offers a service like that though, most do. The driving schools will also come out and pick you up for the class.

I agree with the other posters that putting the whole family on a moped is not a good idea here. I know it's common other places, I've seen it before when traveling in Mexico...but the traffic here doesn't go slow and careful to watch out for vehicles like that. (and in Mexico when I saw that all the time, I also saw the tragic results of it a few times) Even small cars can be dangerous...my uncle was killed when somebody ran him off a highway here in the US because he was in a very small, slow car.

You can get a bicycle with a motor and it doesn't require a drivers license. I see them on craigslist for about $400. That's only transportation for one person though and it would still be dangerous on some roads...I remember your other post about Bulverde Rd. and I wouldn't want to ride a bike there, even one with a motor to help with the hills.

There's a bus that runs up Henderson Pass. Your wife will be able to get around on the bus until you get a car. There's a Walgreens store at the corner of thousand oaks and henderson pass, they have basic groceries and shampoo and stuff like that there, if she wants something within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio