Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 12:34 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post

SA doesnt have one of the best zoos in the country, not even in the top 10, I guess the botanical garden is cute...I cannot tell where SA ranks within Texas but the only thing going for the city are the misiones than for Spanish standards are little more than fortified clay capilla. It is a pity Mexico is so violent, if anyone would like to see good misiones, that's the place together with Colombia.
You lost me at misiones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 05:58 AM

275 posts, read 185,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
You lost me at misiones.
Missions
Apologies, I assumed it was common knowledge San Antonio de Valero and the rest were misiones or missions.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:42 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,051 times
The missions just received a world heritage destination and your calling them "fortified capilla" ???

Old 11-29-2015, 08:13 AM

810 posts, read 1,424,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Houston and Dallas do have decent museum's and symphony's, but their idea of first class shopping is strip malls out in the burbs. Both downtown Houston and Dallas are sleepy after 6pm
You need to visit these cities since it was at least 30 years ago that you did.

Last edited by Quattro72; 11-29-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 08:33 AM

810 posts, read 1,424,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimoso48 View Post
Yup san antonio has alot left to go to be be a first class city even in Texas. It seems Austin, Dallas and Houston are more advanced and well respected.
Totally agreed with you. The SA locals have different a definition of “first class.”

Last edited by Quattro72; 11-29-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The missions just received a world heritage destination and your calling them "fortified capilla" ???
Mmmm Yes, I do. As you said they JUST got the denomination, they are plenty of other missions / small churches which got it decades ago. The missions are nice and have a very strong historic importance for the city and Texas but they are not first class, I have to see it before I die deal.

SA needs to realize is a nice small city but one of many, nothing wrong with it, and there are many things to improve, just being so proud of not accepting reality will not make the city better.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Quote:
Mmmm Yes, I do. As you said they JUST got the denomination, they are plenty of other missions / small churches which got it decades ago. The missions are nice and have a very strong historic importance for the city and Texas but they are not first class, I have to see it before I die deal.

SA needs to realize is a nice small city but one of many, nothing wrong with it, and there are many things to improve, just being so proud of not accepting reality will not make the city better.
You lose all credibility when you have higher standards than UNESCO.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
You lose all credibility when you have higher standards than UNESCO.

it is not my fault that UNESCO chose to give the denomination to the missions just now in 2015, it seems it was not high in their list of places.
Really, shake it off! it is not making any favors to SA to think it's the mecca of tourism, culture and entertainment...it is big for tourists locally within the Southeast/ Southwest, but that's it.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:54 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Quote:

it is not my fault that UNESCO chose to give the denomination to the missions just now in 2015, it seems it was not high in their list of places.
Really, shake it off! it is not making any favors to SA to think it's the mecca of tourism, culture and entertainment...it is big for tourists locally within the Southeast/ Southwest, but that's it.
The timing of the designation, not denomination, (the UN isn't a church) had nothing to do with the prestige of the honor. You are absolutely wrong though people base entire vacations around visiting UNESCO sites. Millions from around the world come to San Antonio to visit various attractions in our city.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
The timing of the designation, not denomination, (the UN isn't a church) had nothing to do with the prestige of the honor. You are absolutely wrong though people base entire vacations around visiting UNESCO sites. Millions from around the world come to San Antonio to visit various attractions in our city.
Millions around the workd come to the US to visit SA? I think not, maybe in very selected tours, most go to NY and west coast. Just be a bit reallistic, please.
I am European, lived in several countries before coming to the US, people in Europe can tell a bit about the Alamo but 90% dont know it is located in dowtown SA, and most people possess a strong knowledge of geography but that info is not relevant worldwide, you dont learn it at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio