U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:55 PM
 
501 posts, read 484,487 times
Reputation: 469

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
This is why the OP asked for TRANSPLANTS to respond. They weren't looking for homers to defend the place. They wanted opinions from people that have made the move, ie. not you. Also, this isn't a scientific report. We don't need to present data and evidence. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere for you picking out the best burger in San Antonio, but this thread, again, was asking for TRANSPLANTS.
Well, I didn't question his opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
786 posts, read 803,389 times
Reputation: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
This is why the OP asked for TRANSPLANTS to respond. They weren't looking for homers to defend the place. They wanted opinions from people that have made the move, ie. not you. Also, this isn't a scientific report. We don't need to present data and evidence. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere for you picking out the best burger in San Antonio, but this thread, again, was asking for TRANSPLANTS.
I just jumped to give some zip codes for rentals because she asked about schools etc and having lived here and moved around I know way too much about the area. I admit I'm totally biased having moved off several times and always moved back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM
 
501 posts, read 484,487 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
No matter where you live, you'll be driving 10-15 minutes to the grocery store.
Even if you live a house a away from one? What about a block away? Come on, no need for such hyperbole. I live a three minute drive from HEB. Seriously, who here has to drive 15 minutes to go to a grocery store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 01:06 PM
 
501 posts, read 484,487 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by makiten View Post
I am a transplant twice over. I was born in a suburb of NYC, so I'm used to smaller towns and the metropolis. I also came back here after living in Houston, consistently touted as a cosmopolitan city. But I've been here long enough to know that some of the cons are simply based on choice, not because of a weakly implemented or lacking feature. That said, here are my pros/cons:

Cons

- Way too hot. I don't know how I was used to it before I left the first time, but I'm not at all used to it now.

- Scenery. I like the hill country, but the semi-arid climate and flora that accompany it are not my favorite. I'm used to hills, mountains, AND green, but, especially during droughts, our currently-green areas will turn brown in an instant.

- Sprawl. Chalk this up to living in Houston for so long (among the reasons I left it), but I used to have to drive EVERYWHERE. When I moved to SA, I drove less than I did in Houston, but it's still too much.

- People/culture. This encompasses the majority of complaints. People love to complain about XYZ, but few make an effort to change it. Also, the culture is Tejano-centric. I don't find this at all interesting. Also, as a black professional, I
think SA doesn't do enough (different from "doesn't have") to promote my culture or even others. You CAN find things, such as Greek and Lebanese festivals, but they're typically small for a metro of 2 million.

The other "people" problem is that often they complain about how the sprawl/lack of this or that is a problem, but are also contributing to it. I've only known two people (a couple) that ultimately decided to ditch sprawl and
move into the city. Most complain but contribute to it by going to big box stores or living further out. It doesn't help that employers also follow this trend. When this happens, the education problems plaguing the inner city
continue, and involved schools and parents are an exception rather than a norm.

- Grocery monopoly. HEB may be savvy at business, but I'd like to have alternatives. They WERE here when I first moved here (Albertson's, Kroger, Handy Andy), but those were long gone when I came back.
- Jobs. It's not that there aren't many, but it goes with the whole notion that SA is more family-oriented, i.e., entry-level jobs, which are more appropriate for someone my age, are lacking. I did a quick search this week, and entry-level jobs were in Austin, while experience, mid-level jobs were here. It's nigh-impossible for me to move up because I don't have any clearances, a grocery list of experience in various things, and I can't get a management role to save my life. Also, my age precludes me from even trying because of the rather obvious age discrimination. If you like San Antonio but you're starting out, you'll almost HAVE to move until you have the experience to come back. Once that happens, you'll either be handsomely or terribly compensated. I hardly hear anyone complain about being paid "average salary"--it's almost definitely "X pays below average for what you have to do" complaints.

Pros

- Convenience. I've lived outside 410/inside 1604 my entire time here, and grocery stores have been less than 10 minutes each time. I can currently walk, bike, bus, and drive to my current grocery store of choice. And I live in a safe neighborhood. I can also take the bus to work. In fact, I'm switching locations and going further north to the suburbs and still have good routes. I can go almost 2 weeks without going to the gas station with my wife and I sharing one car.
- Easy lifestyle/affordable. Some have tried to pressure me into buying things I don't really need, but I've been able to do more with less. Like I said, I avoid driving when I can, and I can still do everything I need to with no issues. Everything's affordable.
- Safe. I don't like the current neighborhood I live it, but despite that, I've still had no problems, even though I've moved closer to a traditionally less safe area.
- Unique. I don't think the city makes much of an effort to promote this, but there's a rich history and interesting things to take note of.
- Recreational activies. There are also plenty of things to do INSIDE the city, provided you go closer to downtown.

If anything, I've discovered that the city seemed that it could've been cosmopolitan-yet-still-small like New Orleans IF the cultural amenities SA had years ago stayed. What I've noticed is the city often had things
and lost them for whatever reason, and they just have returned, probably because of the "culture" issue. I admittedly don't care too much about how "cosmopolitan" a place is or how big it is, so my perception is different from
other transplants. But I thought I'd provide an alternate opinion than "San Antonio is bad because it isn't [insert city here] and you have to drive." Recently I would've probably told you I'd leave if I didn't want to make a difference,
but I'm starting to see that I don't have to change my lifestyle/way of thinking at all to enjoy what SA has to offer. It just takes a lot of research.

Well written.

And can I just say, someone (you) needs to run for local office. Just saying. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM
 
16 posts, read 33,232 times
Reputation: 23
You all have been so helpful! Thanks for all your responses (even if you are not a transplant-I appreciate them ) I lived four years in Virginia and thought I needed to live in a big city forever then I got the AWFUL news that we were moving to Mississippi. I thought I might die. Needless to say, I have been very happy here the last four years (ready to move on, but grateful for the experience) and I think a lot of it has to do with attitude. I am getting excited about this next journey in my families life. I think we will be happy in San Antonio!! Thanks for all your responses and keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
333 posts, read 525,284 times
Reputation: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamigo View Post
It's not "weird" like Austin, but it sure is different.
The devil you say. San Antonio is weird on a whole other plane of existence.

Austin sometimes seems to me like a rebellious but good-natured kid who has taken to dying her hair or getting a piercing to show her weirdness.

San Antonio is like the neighborhood crazy lady, not a day younger than 90, who has taken to wearing her old wedding dress every day, sees ghosts in every room (and talks to them) and has enough candles lit in her tumbledown house to burn the place down in an instant.

But who do you think has the better stories to tell? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Austin, Houston, and San Antonio
1,420 posts, read 1,728,711 times
Reputation: 782
Hate the parks here in San Antonio especially Hardberger Park, I went there, it's just all trails and trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
12,231 posts, read 7,634,048 times
Reputation: 51601
I love the River Walk and all the Mexican influence in town.

I love the restaurants.

I love the color of the city. It's "happy."

I love the San Antonio zoo.

I love the fact that it is close enough to me that I can easily drive down and spend the weekend there.

I don't love the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM
 
1,501 posts, read 1,379,587 times
Reputation: 670
Default Great Post Jindo,

And a good set of contrasts demonstrating the differences between that upstart
Austin and old San Antone.
We are weird on another plane of existence. I like that.
Unique within it's own set of specifications.
Like an old Harley Davidson motorcycle before the Japanese were able to clone them.
A close copy but not the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
The devil you say. San Antonio is weird on a whole other plane of existence.

Austin sometimes seems to me like a rebellious but good-natured kid who has taken to dying her hair or getting a piercing to show her weirdness.

San Antonio is like the neighborhood crazy lady, not a day younger than 90, who has taken to wearing her old wedding dress every day, sees ghosts in every room (and talks to them) and has enough candles lit in her tumbledown house to burn the place down in an instant.

But who do you think has the better stories to tell? :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 AM
 
3,614 posts, read 3,457,635 times
Reputation: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
The devil you say. San Antonio is weird on a whole other plane of existence.

Austin sometimes seems to me like a rebellious but good-natured kid who has taken to dying her hair or getting a piercing to show her weirdness.

San Antonio is like the neighborhood crazy lady, not a day younger than 90, who has taken to wearing her old wedding dress every day, sees ghosts in every room (and talks to them) and has enough candles lit in her tumbledown house to burn the place down in an instant.

But who do you think has the better stories to tell? :-)
Bravo posting! Who knew San Antonio was Miss Roberta Sparrow?!

(Light rail? Light rail? No rail!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top