Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM

16 posts, read 79,601 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering taking a job in San Antonio. I have never been there, but plan on visiting soon. I just want to know from some transplants (people who have not lived there your entire life) what you think about the area. PLEASE be honest! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM

413 posts, read 741,912 times
It all depends on where you're coming from. Moving from a small town, it's probably great. Moving from a big city, not so much. Housing is cheap, so we're staying a while, but we travel a lot to make up for the shortcomings. The restaurant selection is limited in ethnicity. You need a car. There is no such thing as urban living (despite what people will tell you. Limited jobs downtown, limited areas where you can work, eat, shop within walking distance of home.) The weather is both good and bad. Winters are extremely mild, summer is unbearable. The job market is limited. You can find high paying jobs, but don't expect to be able to hop around. Overall, the city is rather safe, especially if you pick your neighborhood wisely. It's a very religious, conservative city (at least that's what people will say. Actions can be drastically different - see the teenage pregnancy rate in comparison to the number of people who say they're Catholic.)

Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
I moved here from St. Louis 15 years ago. I grew up in a tiny village in central Illinois.

I really like San Antonio. I like the people, the food, my 'hood, downtown... I'm here for the duration since I married a native Texan.

I hate the summers but I hate them less than I hated the winters in the Midwest.

I love all the fests and activities that go on year 'round.

All that said, I'm apparently really easy to please, and not much of a complainer.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times
I grew up in Tucson, AZ, lived there a total of 22 years.

I love: low cost of living, no snow, no state income tax

I dislike (hate is too strong a word): it being more a city for families than for singles, how sprawled out everything is, the relative lack of healthy food/healthy culture, hispanic culture is predominant (no offense, it's just not my favorite), people rave about the countryside but I think the scrub brush foliage that occurs naturally here is ugly, professional jobs are clustered in certain industries/certain employers, the weather varies wildly at the drop of a hat, the HEB grocery monopoly

From that it probably seems like I hate the place, but I don't. I'm mostly neutral about it.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM

16 posts, read 79,601 times
I used to think I needed a big city until I moved to my current location and realized I do not. Most important things are schools, safety and convenience. I don't want to drive 10-15 minutes to the closest grocery store.
Questions: Unbearable summers compared to what? I live in the south now and deal with wicked heat from April-October plus awful humidity and that is one thing that really worries me. I HATE the summers here, but I LOVE the winters. Are summers that long there?
My husbands job would be just North of the 410 loop near Blanco road. Where would be some good places to look at renting a home until we figure out where we would like to buy. Looking at no more than 2k a month for rent, good schools, and a family friendly, safe neighborhood.
Thanks!!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM

501 posts, read 949,154 times
I hope this thread doesn't take a turn for worst.

I am not a transplant, I was born and raised here but I've lived in other cities before returning to my hometown that I love. So I won't give my personal opinion as you asked for transplants opinions. I will say I know plenty personally as San Antonio has had tremendous in-migration from other cities over the last 10-15 years, moreso, the last ten.

I can honestly say that every one of them, that I know and speak with on a daily basis, love San Antonio. They come from California, Florida, Georgia, Chicago, Louisiana, New York. I can't speak for every transplant or even for them because I've never spoken deeply as to why they love it here. Some are married with family, some dating and some are single. They're all different rthnicies as well.

SA offers a lot. Has a lot. Gives a lot. Is it perfect? Nope. Could it be a better place? In some regards, yes. Is it growing and improving every day? Yep.

Seeing where your husbands potential employer is I would recommend the following neighborhoods: Inwood, Hollywood Park, Stone Oak, Shavano Park. Seeing as you say you don't need the big city life, I would recommend Helotes, Fair Oaks Ranch or Boerne as potential suburb living opinions.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM

I forget to mention.... San Antonio is getting a Trader Joes!!!!

Just thought I should mention it. Lol

Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,767 times
For his job location it is not a bad drive from Stone Oak, the Vineyards or Rogers Ranch neighborhoods. Excellent schools! Not tons of rentals.but in your price range you would find nice newer homes. We don't have massive yards but good shopping, nice people, and as I said schools. It would be NEISD except part of RR. Check 78258 for rentals. I think the Encino and TPC areas are great but the current road construction is a pain. Great schools.though so those zips are 78259 and 78261(part is Comal ISD). You can check the TEA websites for school info.

It's hot here. We moved to NC which was slightly more humid but not quite as.hot. I'm native TX though so can't give you the comparison you want. We hightailed it back to our neighborhood in Stone Oak after only 8 months in NC. Instead of parents being kept away from the school up there the teachers and staff here hugged me and my boys hello and I spend a lot of time up there volunteering.

Hope you get the info you need and if y'all come find just the right area for your family

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 AM

231 posts, read 813,995 times
As a transplant who has lived in different parts of Southern CA and that has lived here in SA for approx 1 year I will give you my honest opinion.

Cons

San Antonio has a lack of diversity compared to other cities of similar size. This city is 70%? hispanic. A drawback from this is a lack of high quality ethnic restaurants, not counting TexMex. By the way, the Mexican (not TexMex) food is better in California.

There is a lack of professional jobs in this city. Why? There is a large low skilled, uneducated workforce population in this city. This does not translate into a large educated young professional workforce in the city. This is the wrong place for young educated professionals, generally speaking. The UTSA grads that tend to stay in SA are either natives of SA or from smaller towns in Texas

Not the best place for singles. I am in my late 20's and most of the locals my age are married w/kids which means I date younger which I REALLY like but, see comment above. Is it just me but do a lot of people get married very young here?

The weather here is ok, but coming from southern CA it is nothing special. Summers here are HOT.

This city has a "small town" mentality. It doesn't like change and can be very resistant to change. Many (not all) people (the locals) here can very closed minded.

Not a lot to do here compared to other cities of similar population. Others on this board like to state the population of SA etc. but never mention the lack of amenities/attributes this city lacks compared to other cities of similar size. SA is one large “town” vs a metropolitan/cosmopolitan city like Dallas.

The drivers here are HORRIBLE, this is enough reason to leave this city. SA should start a advertisng campaign advising people to drive safer.

Pros

It is easy to survive here i.e. its easy to be poor here. Housing is cheap and VERY affordable. You do not need a great job to live in a nice area of town.

People here are very very friendly

-------

The Californians i have met here who like living here tend to be those from the inland parts i.e. Sacramento/ Fresno. Most do not like living here and will/want to leave when the timing is right, including myself. I have met others from different parts of the country who do enjoy SA so my opinion does not reflect ALL transplants.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:26 AM

I know plenty of Californian transplants from the coastal areas. LA, San Diego and even San Francisco (my company deals with Rackspace and other techie companies) who like and even love San Antonio. I've personally have never met a transplant from Frenso or Sacramento though I know a family on my block moved here from Stockton last year.

Different strokes for different folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio