U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 AM

2,891 posts, read 2,399,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

Lets see, Tri-party tried & failed in the 80's

About 5-7 years ago they were going to make some grand Italian type plaza on the block where the Solo Serve is. That was suppose to open in 2009. Let see that never happened....Solo Serve is still abandoned and the Subway closed.
Piazza San Lorenzo - luxury condominium real estate development on San Antonio Riverwalk, Texas

The most recent flop was the Rivercenter redevelopment.
Rivercenter Mall Redevelopment Update: Lucky Strike Lanes, Oceanaire, more to be added. Ok, we got the Fogo de Chao

And every few years they are suppose to make "High-End" condos & retail in the old Joskes. Just bring back Fantasy Land at Christmas and everyone will be happy.

And lets not forget all that was suppose to happen around the alamo dome. While St. Paul Square is cleaned up, it is far from safe.

I would really like to see downtown cleaned up, but I just dont see it happening. I have worked downtown for a very long time and I have never known a single person that has also lived downtown. It just isnt appealing to professionals.

I will say the Pearl brewery has turned out nice, but they didnt have to deal with the challenges of downtown...homeless people, gangs, parking, nasty bus stops.
You are talking about projects that were to be started around 2008 timeframe. A lot of projects got canceled and shelved because of the economy during that time. Not just in San Antonio, but everywhere.

I know a few people that both live and work downtown. Most of them are professionals as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM

484 posts, read 509,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I suppose this is true but the choices presented are the obvious ones so none could hardly be blamed for making them in the past.

It is these very choices though, a sucker's choice, that has led to the very problems that Mr. Weston presumably wants to work on.

White flight, and now black and brown flight, has led to a dying city core and the suburbs alone cannot sustain a city. When suburbs are over developed they actually make cities less livable plus harm the environment.

Now that we are learning better ways to live we no longer have to abandon the city and can start abandoning our cars. With projects like this that will lay the way for young professionals and coupled with other local initiaives that make other inner-city areas more livable for the working class we have a bright future.
I hate when people start judging others for no reason than for living in the suburbs. Those who want to live in a urban environment have all my support, but if I don't want to live in such environment, does that make me a bad person? Why? Is it bad to want more space for the kids and be in a better school district? Those people who live downtown, do they do it for philantropic reasons or because they like it better?

"Live and let live" i say to you. Pick the area of the city that best suits your lifestyle and then keep your peace.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM

142 posts, read 190,798 times
Graham and his family are just wonderful people. He should be applauded.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM

501 posts, read 483,325 times
Quote:

About 5-7 years ago they were going to make some grand Italian type plaza on the block where the Solo Serve is. That was suppose to open in 2009. Let see that never happened....Solo Serve is still abandoned and the Subway closed.
Piazza San Lorenzo - luxury condominium real estate development on San Antonio Riverwalk, Texas

Rivercenter Mall Redevelopment Update: Lucky Strike Lanes, Oceanaire, more to be added. Ok, we got the Fogo de Chao

And every few years they are suppose to make "High-End" condos & retail in the old Joskes. Just bring back Fantasy Land at Christmas and everyone will be happy.

And lets not forget all that was suppose to happen around the alamo dome. While St. Paul Square is cleaned up, it is far from safe.

I would really like to see downtown cleaned up, but I just dont see it happening. I have worked downtown for a very long time and I have never known a single person that has also lived downtown. It just isnt appealing to professionals.
First off, the Rivercenter redevelopment is still going through. Like almost all developments in the US, it took a hit when the economy collapsed. But it's still happening and I know for a fact H&M, Forever XXI and Dave and Busters are going in at Joske's.

Second, TriStar was a city funded development that had worked in the long run. Houston St. has so much now and so much planned for it.

Third, the Piazza San Lorenzo was a to be a privately developed mixed use project that just couldn't get the funding. That's why it failed. Not at all similar to what Graham Weston plans to do.

Quote:
I will say the Pearl brewery has turned out nice, but they didnt have to deal with the challenges of downtown...homeless people, gangs, parking, nasty bus stops.
Yeah, all the Pearl had to deal with was an abandoned complex used by squatters, a seedy area where drug users hung out and where bus stops are poles with signs on them. Oh yeah, and zero established foot traffic.

But I guess smart thinking and the millions poured into it by local billionaire Kit Goldbury paid off, huh?

Now look at the Pearl and the area around it near Broadway. That will soon be the epicenter for our urban core when it comes to the locals. Over a 1,000 housing uints in that small of an area. No other place in SA has that right now.

That's something Graham Weston wants to bring into the central loop, into downtown.

And if his newest venture is anything like Rackspace or Geekdom, well, we're all going to be really happy with the results.

But you can continue to be pessimistic and doubtful. I won't.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post

Graham has a great vision for San Antonio that's fueled by a genuine love for this city. Philanthropic capitalism is right. I mean it: we're very lucky to have him.
Yes we are. I don't know the guy personally or ever met him but I know of who he is and what he's done and I seriously can't wait to see what he has in store.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM

For anyone who wants to hear Graham Weston talk about Geekdom, Rackspace and the Castle's growth as well as the future of downtown San Antonio has his vision watch this interview with Graham on the local PBS.

Video: CONVERSATIONS | Graham Weston | Watch Conversations Online | KLRN Video

You'll come away utterly impressed.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:56 PM

325 posts, read 263,039 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

The reality is that things like Pearl (as an example) take a ton of money and generate a slow return. It takes deep pockets and a lot of patience/long-term vision to make that stuff happen. Graham has those things, wants to enrich San Antonio, and that's exciting.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-27-2012 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed

Old 03-26-2012, 04:38 PM

3,985 posts, read 4,426,007 times
I see it as a businessman that's making a long-term investment into an area - one in which he sees a good potential for profit. Personally, I think it's absolutely fantastic - because this is the PRIVATE SECTOR investing THEIR money - not our tax dollars. When that happens, people do their homework, make smart decisions - and we ALL win. We get neat places to see/go, and those that build it reap the profits.
For me, I'm not a city dwelling type....in fact, I just now finally succeeded in convincing the wife that we "need" to buy a place with more land. Lord love her, she knows how much I've wanted a place that I could build a shooting range of my own, and have some room to "stretch", so she has agreed that as long as we find a house SHE likes (and she's really not hard to please), then she's good with it.
Already called my sister (she's a Realtor), and she's looking. Kevin - keep your ears to the ground, too (I know you read these threads) - if you see something, holler! Minimum 12 acres, must be able to shoot/hunt on the land, outbuildings would be nice. We're looking at one place with about 3600 sq ft - very interesting, but a lot depends on how it's laid out.
But I digress - I'm really excited to see this kind of development starting - hopefully, someone will eventually take on the old Stockyards and turn THAT area around as well - all kinds of potential there, too!!

Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,347,257 times
Quote:

Meanwhile, plenty of other high end developments (and mixed-range developments) have gone up all over downtown/southtown/near north.

Yes, there are some negatives, but far more positives.

Quote:

All my neighbors who are doctors, business owners, lawyers, scientists, academics who live in downtown and/or Southtown are figments of our imaginations. We really don't exist. it's so unappealing that you can't give places away....uh-huh.

Just because you don't know them, doesn't mean we don't exist.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,347,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
This touches on some of the larger issues. The assertion that people do not want to live in the city for any number of reasons are usually wrong. BLUF: Younger people with no children, and older "empty nesters" are the main city residents. Most people are fine living close to downtown, and enjoying the dining, night life, etc. until they have kids. Then, they move out to the suburbs. Why? It is more family friendly. Room for kids to play, more space, safer, less traffic, etc. People tend to ignore this. It isn't that they are shunning downtown, or are motivated by prejudice. Sometimes, it really is just that simple.
huh? Have you been downtown?
This is *the* most kid friendly part of the city that I've experienced. Come to the King William parade and check out the Southtown Kids Float. Packed. PACKED, not to mention all the kids riding bikes and other floats. These are all families living in downtown or Southtown. Given how many kids' birthday parties we have in the neighborhood, it's clear this place is bursting with kids.

I feel far safer here than I did in the suburbs, esp. with kids, and because we can walk or cycle so many places, less car traffic to deal with (my kids would much rather walk than get strapped into their car seats any time we need to go somewhere). We have 0.25 acres with plenty of space for kids to play. Granted downtown apartments don't offer that, but Southtown is the ideal - space + close to downtown and lots of amenities.

I have quite a few neighbors (and know of more trying to buy here) who have lived in the suburbs and once they had kids, wanted to move back to downtown or Southtown. Now, because we have kids we don't get to enjoy all the fabulous dining opportunities as much as we used to, but when we do want them, they are a short walk away.

People may like one over the other, but the notion that there are no kids here or it's not a place for families is simply incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio