U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM

581 posts, read 1,036,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
You may want to re-think your policy of not answering the door. Many times burgulars will pick a house where they suspect no one is home, ring the doorbell and when no one answers they kick in the door. If someone answers the door they make up some lame excuse to be there and move on. I always answer the door. As soon as I see it is some kind of solicitor I wave them on and close the door and lock it. But they know I'm home and that I know they are there. And they better move on.
Yup. I always answer and in my old place I had a little hallway so when I would open the door, I strategically placed my NSA membership decal along with some of my old Army memorabilia on the wall. And my dogs are usually doing their big boy barks not because they want to kill whose ever there but because they think its people to play with them. Plus if they're people who are acting shady, I act shady right back. I did that once with a young guy who ended up trying to drop off a vacuum that my gf ordered from a store. But he wasn't giving me any info so I looked him up and down and stared very intently. He asked what I was doing and I said I was remembering him for a sketch artist. Turns out he was a new guy, not very 'people oriented' and we were his first delivery. His supervisor was in the truck. Embarrassing for my gf, yes. But I knew right then it worked.

And I agree with the pace counts. My dad did this. He also got me into knowing the degrees of view that I have through my windows as well as knowing where my weapons are with my eyes closed and how to fire from defensive positions. I loved growing up with a Marine father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,117,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Yup. I always answer and in my old place I had a little hallway so when I would open the door, I strategically placed my NSA membership decal along with some of my old Army memorabilia on the wall....
I think you mean NRA...unless you're gonna spy on them!

I always let solicitors know I am home and am ignoring them. Plus, the dogs let them know they're there as well. I usually don't grab my XD unless they act suspiciously, and if they're brave/stupid enough to try and come inside my fence they'll probably have to get some replacement underwear!

Despite current events going on elsewhere, I still am a firm believer in Castle Doctrine and the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from the criminal threat. Any would-be thief that enters my property with the intent of stealing something does so at the risk to their own lives, and if there is one thing that I can guarantee it is that I will be much better trained and equipped then they are!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 03-29-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 PM

359 posts, read 710,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
You may want to re-think your policy of not answering the door. Many times burgulars will pick a house where they suspect no one is home, ring the doorbell and when no one answers they kick in the door. If someone answers the door they make up some lame excuse to be there and move on. I always answer the door. As soon as I see it is some kind of solicitor I wave them on and close the door and lock it. But they know I'm home and that I know they are there. And they better move on.
We also do not answer the door anymore if we don't recognize the person. Whoever is ringing the bell usually will know there is someone home however, as we will approach the door to look outside and see who it is. I recently placed two signs near our door. One reads, "No Trespassing and No Soliciting. Violators will be shot!" The other reads, "Keep knocking, I'm re-loading!". So let them kick the door

Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM

581 posts, read 1,036,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I think you mean NRA...unless you're gonna spy on them!

Cheers! M2
Hahaha. Maybe. Or...maybe not.

My mistake. NRA.

Not enough coffee this morning. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio