Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM

28 posts, read 142,797 times

Advertisements

I put a post on craiglist - baby+kids to sell our kid's stroller and other stuff. Guess what I found, there are about 500-700 posts every day in the baby+kids section. My post quickly been sank to the bottom of the list. What's the luck people can sell their stuff in this section? Does anyone have any experience/strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM

413 posts, read 741,912 times
Be patient. Nobody scrolls through the entire list. People search and will find your ad if they're looking for what you're selling. Alternatively, you can take it to a baby re-seller like Kid 2 Kid and get 25% of the original price or less.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM

581 posts, read 1,187,874 times
Put "tick" words in the title and description. Don't be vague. If you know the make, model, brand, etc put those. Most people will search for either a specific item or a particular brand of item.

And again, patience.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Yes, serious buyers will search, not scroll. be patient, price well, add photos, be honest in your description.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:12 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
I had some collectibles that I put on there, about a week later sold them. Be patient.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Most things that I'm selling, if the price is right, I sell it within a day. If I'm asking a little more than I really think I can get for it, it may take a few days or a little bargaining. I usually price a bit higher than I really want, then they can ask me to take a little less, feel like they got a deal, and I get what I really wanted for the item.

The baby/kid section is really full. You can help your ad stand out by taking a good picture of what you're selling, and putting the brand in the title. Even though it's tempting, don't keep deleting and reposting your ad to put it on the top...people will notice and start flagging it whenever it shows up.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM

443 posts, read 954,623 times
Last year I sold a ton of stuff out of a house I am working on using CL. I even managed to find someone to buy all of the literal ton of auto parts in one go.

The one thing I didn't sell? A Peg Perego convertible pram/stroller in absolutely perfect shape. They go for a good clip on fleabay, but despite dropping the price to $50, it still wouldn't sell. I relisted it the entire summer. I still have it.

The other thing I had a tough time selling? An antique highchair that converted into a desk. It was beautiful and I didn't want to sell it. It would have gone for a good clip in an antique store, but I ended up selling it to a lady who drive down from Austin for $60. I also had an antique child's folding rocker. I ended up donating that to St. Pj's (they love me there).

So, yeah, that section is pretty much a dead-end for sales. I think most moms either get their stuff at showers, from mom, the many resell/consignment shops, or hit the garage sale circuit. The antique items weren't even listed in the kid's section but a couple of times, yet still were ignored. I figured someone's grandmother might pick one of those up. It's a buyer's market in that section.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,134 times
I have gotten rid of stuff by posting in the general section and again later in another section depending on what it is. I.E. computers, automotive, garden, etc. Posting a pic of the item helps too.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 PM

500 posts, read 969,401 times
Keywords, pictures, listing in multiple sections, all of these ideas help. List the items specifically. Honestly, if you have quality things that people want (and it sounds like you have those things), you'll be inundated with calls.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,590 times
keywords are a must.
also, no one knows what you're selling or the condition, but you have to imagine that craigslist is just a digital garage sale. and in garage sales, you usually have to be ready to deal.

so if you bought a crib for $199 and are trying to sell it for $189....good luck. while such sales can be made, it'd probably take you much longer than if you sold it for a little cheaper.

everyone wants to make a buck, but if you really want to sell it, then you have to give fair value.

also, it's not craigslist related, but if you have facebook, you could just post to your friends and then can tell their friends, etc. it's all networking.
recently got rid of some chairs that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio