U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,251,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Actually, the extended hours are for Middle and High schools, not elementary schools, so there are different zones - or at least there will be.

And if it's confusing, just recognise that if you see a school, you need to slow down.
Why does it need to run from 2 to 5? 3pm-5pm should be enough for middle schools and high schools. Kids don't let out for 3 hours. On a separate note, if anyone wants to make the argument that kids stay after school for tutoring, there are dozens of kids that stay at school until 6:30pm for after school sports practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,903,366 times

Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,442,914 times
Quote:
Actually, the extended hours are for Middle and High schools, not elementary schools, so there are different zones - or at least there will be.

And if it's confusing, just recognise that if you see a school, you need to slow down.

Why do high schools, even middle schools need school zones? If a high schooler doesn't know how to cross a street by that age, there's something wrong with him. Neither my high school nor middle school had school zones and we got along just fine.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Why do high schools, even middle schools need school zones? If a high schooler doesn't know how to cross a street by that age, there's something wrong with him. Neither my high school nor middle school had school zones and we got along just fine.
it's a reminder for *drivers* rather than kids. Drivers need to be aware there are people walking in that area, mostly kids. And believe me, as a frequent pedestrian, drivers are clueless.

How many stop at a zebra/pedestrian crossing to let someone cross even if there's no stop sign? the driver is required by law to stop, but they rarely do.

Why is it so difficult to slow down?

Old 04-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Why does it need to run from 2 to 5? 3pm-5pm should be enough for middle schools and high schools. Kids don't let out for 3 hours. On a separate note, if anyone wants to make the argument that kids stay after school for tutoring, there are dozens of kids that stay at school until 6:30pm for after school sports practice.
I didn't set the hours. It makes sense to me to have it at least one hour prior to school end and one hour after, at least (or whenever the majority of kids will be gone given assorted after school programs). This covers all the early/late releases.

In the end, it's a warning to drivers to SLOW DOWN. People are walking. FWIW, I was stopped for speeding in a school zone once. It was an area I went to daily, though usually at 7:30am and I was forced to slow down due to school traffic or near 5pm (outside the zone hours). This day I came through at 8:55am. No one about and I wasn't thinking....only going about 5mph over the limit, but the cop pulled me over. Rightly slow. I explained I realized my mistake, different routine distracted me, he gave me a stern warning and sent me on my way. No ticket. The city didn't make money off me that day. So yeah, warnings are possible. And you can bet I never ever made that mistake again. Not just because of a fear of a ticket, but because I remembered that school kids could be out and about (and I did occasionally see a kid later). Now, I live around the corner from our local K-8, and I frequently see kids up until 9am and after school until well past 4pm. And the reality is that at least here, most kids get to and from school on foot.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
it's a reminder for *drivers* rather than kids. Drivers need to be aware there are people walking in that area, mostly kids. And believe me, as a frequent pedestrian, drivers are clueless.

How many stop at a zebra/pedestrian crossing to let someone cross even if there's no stop sign? the driver is required by law to stop, but they rarely do.

I lived in so cal for so long that I ALWAYS stop at those crosswalks. But you're right. It was a culture shock at first, because we almost never did that in Texas.

Slowing down is too much government intrusion (needless laws) that invade our daily lives.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,078,579 times
Quote:

I actually called the police department a few years back because I was so annoyed by the ridiculous number of people who refused to stop when I was in the crosswalk....with the kids...and a baby stroller to boot...and wanted to know what the law was.

The cop told me that in Texas (sigh) drivers have the right away even at a crosswalk and they only have to stop if there is a posted sign saying "Stop for pedestrians" This state never ceases to amaze me. And not in a good way.

Law or no law, I still yell at anyone who does not stop when I'm in a crosswalk with the kids. I mean come on!!! I have kids here....show some common sense ya nutty Texas drivers.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post
I actually called the police department a few years back because I was so annoyed by the ridiculous number of people who refused to stop when I was in the crosswalk....with the kids...and a baby stroller to boot...and wanted to know what the law was.

The cop told me that in Texas (sigh) drivers have the right away even at a crosswalk and they only have to stop if there is a posted sign saying "Stop for pedestrians" This state never ceases to amaze me. And not in a good way.

Law or no law, I still yell at anyone who does not stop when I'm in a crosswalk with the kids. I mean come on!!! I have kids here....show some common sense ya nutty Texas drivers.
WOW! I guess that there was a reason why I never really stopped on a dime when I saw a pedestrian at a crosswalk when I was a young driver here in Texas, from the Tex Drivers' Handbook:

CHAPTER 12 PEDESTRIAN SAFETY
The driver should always pay special attention to the pedestrian and the bicyclist. However, there are certain safety rules which pedestrians and bicy- clists should follow.
THE PEDESTRIAN (person on foot)
Laws and Other Safety Tips For Pedestrians
Obey all traffic control signals unless you are otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal.
Do not cross the street between two intersections. It is dangerous to cross in the middle of the block.
Use sidewalks when available, and do not walk in the street.
Walk on the left side of the road if there are no sidewalks. Step off the pave- ment when a car approaches.
If you cross a street at any point other than within a crosswalk at an inter- section, you (the pedestrian) must yield the right-of-way to all vehicles.

Apparently, the pedestrian only has the right of way when the crosswalk is situated within an intersection! A driver is only encouraged to slow down, possibly stop when they see a pedestrian trying to cross the street.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
WOW! I guess that there was a reason why I never really stopped on a dime when I saw a pedestrian at a crosswalk when I was a young driver here in Texas, from the Tex Drivers' Handbook:

CHAPTER 12 PEDESTRIAN SAFETY
The driver should always pay special attention to the pedestrian and the bicyclist. However, there are certain safety rules which pedestrians and bicy- clists should follow.
THE PEDESTRIAN (person on foot)
Laws and Other Safety Tips For Pedestrians
Obey all traffic control signals unless you are otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal.
Do not cross the street between two intersections. It is dangerous to cross in the middle of the block.
Use sidewalks when available, and do not walk in the street.
Walk on the left side of the road if there are no sidewalks. Step off the pave- ment when a car approaches.
If you cross a street at any point other than within a crosswalk at an inter- section, you (the pedestrian) must yield the right-of-way to all vehicles.

Apparently, the pedestrian only has the right of way when the crosswalk is situated within an intersection! A driver is only encouraged to slow down, possibly stop when they see a pedestrian trying to cross the street.
Interesting. I didn't know the law varied by state (other states I've lived in it's the law for drivers to stop for crosswalks). I am surprised because there are places in the city where there is a sign saying it's state law that drivers must stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. Now I know we need to have signs put in at the other critical crossings. (note that generally such crossings are on streets with a 25 mph limit)

Old 04-02-2012, 07:25 AM

5,159 posts, read 9,691,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneoak View Post

Maybe you should look both ways before you cross the street to make sure its safe. If the law states that cars have the right of way, they have the right of way. Moderator cut: no personal attacks permitted

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-02-2012 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio