U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,579 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We thought we were moving to Houston for work but now it looks like SA. We're excited to get the heck out of Seattle since we believe this is pergatory. No matter what, SA has sun so it's already better and if I never see another 100 ft tall evergreen, that's ok with me.

I've done alot of research and it seemed like Houston was pretty cool(except for the humidity of course) since my wife and I would consider ourselves more "city people". I felt like finding out info was easy about Houston, whether it be good or bad info is up for debate. But it seems a little harder to find info about SA. I'm not necessarily talking about stats and such, I guess the info i'm looking for is harder to explain. A little about us, I'm 36 and she's 28, i love to golf and she loves theater and art and shopping and pretty stuff, etc. We lived in PHX for a long time and loved it there, can anyone tell me how SA compares to PHX? Obv the golf is better in PHX but can some golfers please tell me how they feel it is in SA.

She'll be working at La Canterra, where are the best areas to live in regards to safety, convenience and commute. We'd prefer to not have to drive more than 30 min to the mall. I'd like to get back into new homes sales, can anyone tell me where most new homes developements are, or are they all over? We like new stuff, homes, shopping, etc. Also, we're not affiliated with the military and it seems like everything in SA revolves around it, will this be an issue for us to fit in? I love the military and everything they've done for us, so thank all of you, i'm just concerned we'd be out of place.

I guess this is a good(long and wordy) start, so thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 12:39 PM

41 posts, read 99,270 times
I think you have some serious misconceptions about San Antonio...I mean that in the nice Texas way of course! To me, Houston is NOT a great place to live. You have your pockets of middle class, and ober wealthy folks, but the majority of Houston looks ghetto and dirty to me. OF COURSE, San Antonio has that too but we also have our own "society types" and the loads of wealthy Mexicans that spend 3 months of the year here buying expensive stuff. As for Golf, I don't play but seems everywhere you turn here there is a GOlf Course or driving range. Some are bad, some are pretty damn great. There is also artsy entertaining things for your wife, we have live music, plenty of fun festivals throughout the year. There is even 30 minutes to drive between Malls here...You've Got La Cantera, North Star, Ingram...and then everywhere is these huge shopping centers with all the popular stores like Target, Bed Bath and Beyond...you name it we pretty much have it. San Antonio is a BIG CITY also, not as big as Houston but I think we are 7th in the entire US?? ANyway, I like San ANtonio, and of course there are times I dont like San Antonio. You really have to weigh the good with the bad, and yes I have lived elsewhere so Im not totally biased. ( I would still pick ST Louis of SA, Just saying)

Old 03-30-2012, 12:41 PM

41 posts, read 99,270 times
That was supposed to say there ISNT even 30 minutes to drive between malls, oh and i forgot to mention the outlets in San MArcos...HUGE! Plus river activities, lakes, a decent beach is 3 hours, but in Houston your stuck with Galveston :P

Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 20,362,688 times
Plenty of people here are not military. That's not going to be an issue for you fitting in here.

As far as where to live, that's going to depend on your budget and whether you're looking for a house or an apartment.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 PM

164 posts, read 272,601 times
I am sorry but you are moving to purgatory. Hotter than hell down here.

As far as your golf questions, there are at least three course in the city that are highly rated. The Quarry, TPC at San Antonio and La Canterra.

If you live in the Stone Oak Area you will be about a 15 minute drive from two different malls, all three of those golf courses. Stone Oak might still be developing but I am not positive about that.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 PM

852 posts, read 926,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleistheworst View Post
Hi,
We thought we were moving to Houston for work but now it looks like SA. We're excited to get the heck out of Seattle since we believe this is pergatory. No matter what, SA has sun so it's already better and if I never see another 100 ft tall evergreen, that's ok with me.

I've done alot of research and it seemed like Houston was pretty cool(except for the humidity of course) since my wife and I would consider ourselves more "city people". I felt like finding out info was easy about Houston, whether it be good or bad info is up for debate. But it seems a little harder to find info about SA. I'm not necessarily talking about stats and such, I guess the info i'm looking for is harder to explain. A little about us, I'm 36 and she's 28, i love to golf and she loves theater and art and shopping and pretty stuff, etc. We lived in PHX for a long time and loved it there, can anyone tell me how SA compares to PHX? Obv the golf is better in PHX but can some golfers please tell me how they feel it is in SA.

She'll be working at La Canterra, where are the best areas to live in regards to safety, convenience and commute. We'd prefer to not have to drive more than 30 min to the mall. I'd like to get back into new homes sales, can anyone tell me where most new homes developements are, or are they all over? We like new stuff, homes, shopping, etc. Also, we're not affiliated with the military and it seems like everything in SA revolves around it, will this be an issue for us to fit in? I love the military and everything they've done for us, so thank all of you, i'm just concerned we'd be out of place.

I guess this is a good(long and wordy) start, so thanks in advance for any help.

I agree with the other poster, you have a few misconceptions about SA and I also mean that in the nicest way. I also agree with his opinion of Houston. While there are some nice areas there, most of it looks kind of ghetto to me as well. Worse than that, most of the people I've met in Houston (not all of course) seemed to be quite rude IMO. You can't compare SAT with Phoenix either. SA is a different animal all together than both Houston and Phoenix. While it is the 7th largest city in the country, it still maintains that down home, freindly kind of small town family oriented feel to it. There is lots to do here and as stated, there are TONS of shopping opportunities no matter what part of town you live in. As far as golf courses go, we have lots of them and although I personally do not play, many of my playing friends love the courses here (at least most of the courses). The military presence is high here but it's not the only thing here. Areas around LaCantera provides lots of options for housing with many newer subdivisions. You could look around the Stone Oak area in one direction, Alamo Ranch area in the other or go out a ways (outside of 1604) to the Boerne area. All of these areas have their pro's and con's but they are all considered safe and the commute to LaCantera is very convenient. I am not an SA native but I've been here over 23 years and I wouldn't trade where I live for any place else in the world so I guess I've been here long enough to be biased but I hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,794 times
Well I am roughly your age... 32 and my wife is 31 so i may relate. I however am not native to SA but my wife is, although i have been here about 8 year I lived in Austin growing up. Having visited Seattle and Phoenix i can compare a bit.

I thought Seattle was very cool, however the weather is a big bummer but the big city feel was there. I think Seattle's theater and arts are bigger/better than SA but SA is trying to improve. SA is alot slower compared to Seattle but I would say comparable to Phoenix. If you can handle the heat in Phoenix you should not have a problem here, although humidity is a lot higher vs dry heat.

Golf is plentiful in SA and many nice courses around central and north SA with a few nice courses just outside the city limits. Phoenix probably has the most golf course on the planet......

Where you live depends on your $$$ but there are a lot of affordable areas that will place you close to La Cantera area. This will put you about 25 mins from downtown SA but that may be OK since its a tourist trap most of the year but downtown is coming around with many new attractions and draws for the residents of SA vs vacationers.

Appreciation for military is huge and having military in SA is a great plus i think as it brings many jobs to SA and great residents as they retire.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,179,945 times
To answer your questions, La Cantera is a very nice area, anywhere around there would be good. Although there is a large college in the area (UTSA), so some of those apartments and neighborhoods near it are similar to a college town. So just double check before you sign anything that you are not moving into an neighborhood/complex that is 99% college students.

Military concerns - dont even worry about it. They tend to stay near the active bases and there are none on the central northside. There is a military installation near La Cantera/Rim area called Camp Bullis, this is more of wilderness training area with very little traffic going in and out (you wont even know it is there).
I have lived here my whole life and never had an active duty military person live near me. But there are areas like Alamo Ranch & Shertz/Cibilo that have a concentrated military population. They are all people too, they just move around a lot.

Golf - I believe SA is considered to be a premiere "Golf City". Year round, numerous public, private, & semi private clubs. And they are always building new ones. When my relatives come to town, they always bring their clubs. I think you will be very pleased with the golf scene in SA.

My best advice is to also double check with whoever the new boss is before you make a decision on a place to live. Or ask them for reccomendations, after all, they do know what budget you are working with and will be traveling to the same work location, so what better person to ask.

I once had a boss that moved from Oregon to here and he loved it. He said he would trade the rain/clouds for the heat anyday.

Good Luck & Welcom to Texas

Old 03-30-2012, 04:33 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,943,277 times
Welcome to SA! I have no advice regarding your home requests as my husband and I like older homes and neighborhoods, but I will reassure you that not being military won't be an issue. I've lived here 15 years come June and Ive only interacted with maybe five military people, and they are all related to my husband.

Like luckyirish, I like San Antonio quite a bit...but I'd rather live in St. Louis. However, I married a native Texan so here I'll stay!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM

583 posts, read 1,006,390 times
OK I am not sure how being military or not came into play here and having military as neighbors or knowing them. FYI ... My husband and I were military when we moved here. We live in the Stone Oak/Canyon Springs area and there are a lot of us in the area. Not that was even one of your questions.

Golf ... My husband golfs every Saturday for the most part. Usually at Fort Sam Houston because they have a shotgun that he plays but there are times they play other courses ..La Cantera, TPC, Hyatt Hill Country and have even gone to Corpus, Austin, etc. for golf outing. Plenty of options at different price ranges.

For Theatre we have the Majestic that provides Broadway productions and the upcoming season looks great. San Antonio is improving but hey if you don't mind traveling and making a weekend event you can always go to Austin and/or Houston.

The North part of San Antonio is great. We have some great restaurants that have great happy hours that are some hot spots (Roaring Fork, Wild Fish, Fralo's Pizza, Drews ....)

La Cantera and North Star mall are the best shopping malls in the areas. La Cantera is an open air mall but this place has some great stores and restuarants ...Yard House, Perrys Steak House, Coco Kiosk and Kona Grill ..great Happy Hours at all.

The Hill Country provides great day trips with lots of wineries. Rivers are great for some great tubing adventues during the summer heat. Music of all kinds is everywhere as long as you take the time to look

Hope I helped you out and if I can provide additional information reach out. FYI ... I have lived here almost eight years. Originally from Maryland (DC area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or