U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,251,872 times

Advertisements

I spent $4 on two tickets and I think I won $7, so I got my money back plus $3. I rarely buy lotto tickets or scratch-offs. It just doesn't appeal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 AM

581 posts, read 1,036,761 times
I finally played my first lotto. Had played scratch offs before but never a lotto. Didn't win a thing other than a nicely colored piece of paper with a bunch of numbers on it.

But my SILs got it down. I'm pretty sure she's still playing the same $10 she started with when she bought a few tickets 2yrs ago. She's wins and uses those winnings to "play or save," as I call it, for the following weeks game. So she's just reusing the winning money over and over. Sometimes she hasn't won anything and another time she's one a good chunk of change to pay off some stuff. My brother said she won a good amount this go around. Granted not a millionaire status but it's a little something.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 AM

2,355 posts, read 5,409,602 times
I think I heard here in SA one person match 5 of 5 numbers, but just missed on the big one.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,279,815 times
There was a girl I work with whose boyfriend bought his "last ever scratch off ticket" and ended up winning $10,000.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,350,246 times
As an office, we bought $220 in lotto tickets, just went and "collected" the winnings, $21. Went ahead and put it all into the next drawing (who wants to do the math required to divide according to input on $21?????) NOT ME!

Funny thing was, the girl at the Valero where I checked my tickets said "hey, would you be interested in a Texas Lotto for $10, I hit the wrong button by mistake"....BOUGHT IT!!! Maybe God is DIRECTING me to accept this, but what the hey....it is $10 and I have certainly wasted that much on dummer things.....LOL

Old 04-01-2012, 11:48 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,121,491 times
The title of this thread should be 'How much have you San Antonians waste on TX Lotto tickets?'

Seriously, don't complain about gas prices or anything else if you can afford to throw away your money on lotto tickets!

Not only are the odds seriously against winning, those few who occasionally win a few bucks have usually spent more than their winnings on the tickets over time.

Vegas wasn't built on winners...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-01-2012, 12:01 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,121,491 times
Another reason to be smart and save your money instead of wasting it on the lotto...the

Quote:
More bad luck for lottery winner - San Antonio Express-News

AUSTIN - Willis Willis, cheated out of a million-dollar jackpot, went to the Texas Lottery Commission on Monday to see if there was a way to get his money.

Instead, his lawyers said, commission attorneys told the 67-year-old Grand Prairie man that they consider the jackpot winner to be a store clerk who was indicted last month and charged with fraudulently claiming the prize.

"The lottery commission for the first time today informed Mr. Willis that they consider the lottery agent who stole his ticket to be the winner of the lottery ... because the clerk who stole the ticket, the agent of the lottery, signed the back of it," said Sean E. Breen, one of his lawyers. (Full story at link)
Willis had given the ticket to Pankaj Joshi, a store clerk, to check to see if he had one. Joshi told Willis he had won $2, then kept the ticket and cashed it in himself. The Lottery Commission paid him $750,006 after taxes, then he disappeared. He has been charged with claiming a lottery prize by fraud, a felony, and is considered a fugitive.

With three-quarters of a million dollars of Texas' money, he can sure afford to hide in comfort for a while!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,691,080 times
Zero for us. I stopped buying Lotto tickets years ago when they lowered the odds of winning...I suppose so the state would make more money for pork barrel projects. Also they weren't giving money to the schools, like they told people when they were trying to get voters to vote for the lottery BS. Your odds are greater of having a large wad of money drop from the sky.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:46 AM

171 posts, read 253,832 times
Spent $2. I usually say double or nothing. Double the odds of winning. Even though not by much. I only play 2-3 times a year anyways. I figured I spend that amt anyways if I go by a bag of chips and a soda.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Hyp Hyp started this thread

97 posts, read 105,671 times
I've actually never purchased any lotto, ever. I'm 25 and just see it as a waste. Yeah the hype is fun and exciting, but in the end, we are just spending money on a piece of paper with hopes & dreams. If you have the money and want to do that, go for it. But for me, I just want to save those few dollars over the years, and maybe have that for more important use. Who knows, maybe one day I'll try it, but till then, I'll keep blowing it other random stuff ;-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio