Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 21,523 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm also curious about the Abbey. UTHSCSA put out a document with student opinions that ranked it fairly well. Any personal experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 AM

584 posts, read 1,188,120 times
I have never lived in the apartments in this area but this is a pretty new complex located on 1604 just east of I-10.

The rent may be more then you want to pay but they may have some move-in deals or discounts available.

Ranch at Shavano Park - Apartments in San Antonio

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,136,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin927 View Post
I have never lived in the apartments in this area but this is a pretty new complex located on 1604 just east of I-10.

The rent may be more then you want to pay but they may have some move-in deals or discounts available.

Ranch at Shavano Park - Apartments in San Antonio
$750 a month for a small one bedroom? Thats crazy. My mortgage payment is lower then that.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
$750 a month for a small one bedroom? Thats crazy. My mortgage payment is lower then that.
Agreed. The 2 bedrooms don't look outrageously priced for what they offer in terms of community and amenities, but those 1 bedrooms are a bit much, especially considering the other options in the area.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,902 times
Boardwalk at Med Center just opened last August. I have lived here since they opened. I love it! $799 for a one bedroom.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 AM

Visited San Antonio and looked around for apartments these past few days.

A few things for those who may find themselves in my position (grad student at UTHSCSA):

- There are a lot of apartments down here. But there is very little/no urban planning of any sort. Coming from a city that has very strict zoning, and a lot of attention paid to how the city is developed, this might be a shock. What it means is that there is a wide mixture of good/bad apartment complexes, all right next to one another. While there are certainly areas near the medical center that I would avoid if I were renting (see below), there are other areas that have bizarre mixtures of unsightly apartment complexes right next to luxury penthouse apartments and gated communities. So get to know the apartments near the one you rent as well as your own. I recommend apartmentratings.com. I found the ratings to be pretty reliable indicators of the safety of the neighborhoods.

- Avoid the Datapoint Drive area at all costs if you are a student or new to the area. There were a lot of folks loitering around during the work hours of the day, lots of loud music/obnoxious cars and there seemed to be loud confrontations happening on virtually every block/complex. Apparently this is also a center for a lot of burglary in the area too, according to those I've talked with while in town.

- There are quite a few nice apartment complexes off of Babcock, on the southwest stretches of Medical Drive, along Louis Pasteur, and Floyd Curl Drive.

- The southwest side of the area, around Danny Kaye Drive, Lamb, and Babcock has some good options. Parts of the Walnut Hill apartments look very nice, while others look run-down. It's an odd mixture. The Villas at St. Moritz are very nice for the price, and offer a semi-gated community with nice amenities. Also near this area is the Abbey at Medical Center. The staff here are very courteous and helpful, and the apartments are mostly renovated on the interiors, with new appliances. They sunk a lot of money into renovations, and offer some nice clean apartments. Apparently there are some safety concerns at this complex due to it not being gated, and it's proximity to some of the more troublesome apartments at Walnut Hill. Not bad from what I could see, but I'm going on word of mouth/personal experience of those who have lived in the area. Lots of nice families there, and the tenants all have to pass rigorous tests, so I wouldn't feel at all worried about living there if you take common sense steps to protect your property.

- If you have the money (800+ for a small 1 bedroom, or ~550-650/person for a two bedroom), there are lots of luxury apartments in the area. All are gated, and some are nestled right into the medical center itself. The Vintage, Carlyle Place, and Promontory Point are examples.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:14 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,928,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView32 View Post
Yes, I'm also curious about the Abbey. UTHSCSA put out a document with student opinions that ranked it fairly well. Any personal experiences?
I used to live down the block at the Crescent Oaks apartments, 5380 medical drive. Do not move there whatever you do! Once, I went to go look at the Abbey. I noticed that it was very clean and manicured. The common laundry areas were locked and also clean. I know this because I tried to use their laundry rooms once because the ones at Crescent Oaks were so filthy. Try apartmentratings.com to get opinions from tenants who have lived in the apartments. The opinions are pretty much "on the money".

Old 06-10-2012, 10:36 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,253,040 times
Not sure if the OP has found something yet, but check out Greystar manged properties. We had a good experience with them and they tend to manage"nicer" communities. Boardwalk Med Center is one, and the manager there is no joke. Vantage at Prue is another, and I heard when they first opened there were issues with parties until Greystar took over and shut that ish down quick.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,401,357 times
I used to do work with apartment complexes many years ago and avoid most apartments on Datapoint and Medical (closer to IH10), many are Section 8 and high crime areas.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 10,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Not sure if the OP has found something yet, but check out Greystar manged properties. We had a good experience with them and they tend to manage"nicer" communities. Boardwalk Med Center is one, and the manager there is no joke. Vantage at Prue is another, and I heard when they first opened there were issues with parties until Greystar took over and shut that ish down quick.
I am in the process of applying for the Boardwalk Med Center and had a question. I haven't applied online for an apartment before and am confused by the wording on their website layout. The website states a certain floorplan is 1130, but when you select it over to the right there is a monthly subtotal that lists "rent" as 1130 a month and "base rent" as 1130 a month, doubling the monthly total to 2260. If 2260 is the actual monthly rent, I think I'm a little out of my league. I will try calling them tomorrow to find out, but I was just wondering if anybody else has experience with this or can tell me if it's a glitch? Throwing away 200 dollars to apply isn't my idea of fun either. Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio